Repashy Bug Burger Expiration?

caietaro

I went to my local reptile store this weekend to pick up some more Bug Burger and Superload. Turned out the Bug Burger they had on the shelf had expired in 2014 :cautious:. They gave me a free bag because of course they're just going to throw it out but I'm wondering whether it's safe to use. Is there anything in the ingredients that you think would spoil or go bad?

I would use it as a supplimental guttload for sure expired or not. As long as its sealed. I also keep all of my suppliments calcium/vitamins bug burger even in dry form in the fridge.

Is it an "expired" or "best by" date? You could contact Repashy and ask. It probably loses some potency with time but might still be good.

It looks like its an expiration date and not a "best by" date - there's a "EXP09 2014" printed on the top seal of the bag. It was sealed until now when I just opened it. It looks just like my non-expired Bug Burger but does smell just ever so slightly different...not worse, just a tiny bit different, like maybe an ingredient or two changed since it was made however long ago. I have 4 or 5 other dry gut loads I use along with my wet guy loads, so I think I'll give this a shot on some crickets and maybe use it for a bit until I place an order for fresh Bug Burger through Repashy directly in a few weeks.

It looks like its an expiration date and not a "best by" date - there's a "EXP09 2014" printed on the top seal of the bag. It was sealed until now when I just opened it. It looks just like my non-expired Bug Burger but does smell just ever so slightly different...not worse, just a tiny bit different, like maybe an ingredient or two changed since it was made however long ago. I have 4 or 5 other dry gut loads I use along with my wet guy loads, so I think I'll give this a shot on some crickets and maybe use it for a bit until I place an order for fresh Bug Burger through Repashy directly in a few weeks.

Those dates are not based on science. Unless you are dealing with something like meat or dairy where there is a real issue with bacteria, it is probably perfectly safe to use. The vitamins might be less potent. Use your common sense--look at the ingredients and smell it. If it is basically alfalfa meal and minerals it should be fine. There is nothing magical about those dates.

Those dates are not based on science. Unless you are dealing with something like meat or dairy where there is a real issue with bacteria, it is probably perfectly safe to use. The vitamins might be less potent. Use your common sense--look at the ingredients and smell it. If it is basically alfalfa meal and minerals it should be fine. There is nothing magical about those dates.
That's what I was thinking as well, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom