Senegal chameleon

I have one myself and I am still learning (from Karma and others) what to do right, otherwise I would offer suggestions.

Post pics of yours! There are not too many Senegal owners on here. (They are not as "valued" as some of the other species, but I like mine).

Go to Post Reply, above the text box is a paperclip button, centre-right. Go nuts with pics! I adore Senegals!

IMHO there is not just one thingthat is important...unless I just say husbandry!

Senegal are water hounds and it's important that you keep them well-hydrated.
Itsalso important that you provide them with a source of UVB light so that they can produce D3 so that they can use the calcium in their system/diet.

It's important that they have appropriate temperatures so that they digest their food properly. The basking area should be in the mid 80'sF.

They also need proper supplements and nutritious food that has been gutloaded. You can gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superiors with a wide assortment of greens and veggies such as dandelions, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper, sweet potatoes, etc.

Since many of the insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phos its important to dust the most with a phos - free calcium powder at most feedings to make up for it.

It's also recommended that the insects dusted twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A to ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without overdosing the prEformed vitamin A. Vitamin A (prEformed) can build up in the system and be antagonistic to the D3 and may lead to MBD.

It's recommended that twice a month the insects are dusted with a phos - free calcium / D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues.

Hope this helps!

The supplements seem to be the trickiest part of cham owning. It seems that the some of the powders are hard to find in stores, and then remembering a schedule of dusting...I think an iPhone app needs to be made...someone get on that, tech people!

In the meantime, I may just have to set up alarms and reminders on my iPhone to tell me which supplements to use on which days...

The supplements seem to be the trickiest part of cham owning. It seems that the some of the powders are hard to find in stores, and then remembering a schedule of dusting...I think an iPhone app needs to be made...someone get on that, tech people!

In the meantime, I may just have to set up alarms and reminders on my iPhone to tell me which supplements to use on which days...

Buy a calendar. :). I remember certain things for my setup, like on the 1st and 15th of every month, I dust with D3. And in between those days, I dust with a multivitamin.

Or just get the Repashy calcium plus... ;)

I know, I know. Not all cham keepers are crazy about this idea, but it sure works for a lot of us...

Buy a calendar. :). I remember certain things for my setup, like on the 1st and 15th of every month, I dust with D3. And in between those days, I dust with a multivitamin.

What are these cal-en-dars you speak of? Do they make sounds or flash at all?

Oh wait, I Googled them...they appear to be made of something called "paper", some even have pretty ladies printed on them...I need to get one of those sometime.

(This has been a dramatization of today's *youth not understanding what existed before the iPhone. Your players in this dramatization have been Slug...and no one else...he needs sleep.)

*By youth, I mean younger than myself. I grew up in that weird time where technology didn't exist, then suddenly, it did and my brain got warped a bit. Sorry for the warp.

Or just get the Repashy calcium plus... ;)

I know, I know. Not all cham keepers are crazy about this idea, but it sure works for a lot of us...

Is this easily obtained? Say, at Petco/Smart, preferably Mom And Pop's?

Is this easily obtained? Say, at Petco/Smart, preferably Mom And Pop's?

I haven't seen it offered at any big box store. You might can find it a mom and pop? Some of the site sponsors have it or you can go directly to Repashy's website and order it.

IMHO there is not just one thingthat is important...unless I just say husbandry!

Senegal are water hounds and it's important that you keep them well-hydrated.
Itsalso important that you provide them with a source of UVB light so that they can produce D3 so that they can use the calcium in their system/diet.

It's important that they have appropriate temperatures so that they digest their food properly. The basking area should be in the mid 80'sF.

They also need proper supplements and nutritious food that has been gutloaded. You can gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superiors with a wide assortment of greens and veggies such as dandelions, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper, sweet potatoes, etc.

Since many of the insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phos its important to dust the most with a phos - free calcium powder at most feedings to make up for it.

It's also recommended that the insects dusted twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A to ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without overdosing the prEformed vitamin A. Vitamin A (prEformed) can build up in the system and be antagonistic to the D3 and may lead to MBD.

It's recommended that twice a month the insects are dusted with a phos - free calcium / D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues.

Hope this helps!

I will add lots of plants. Senegals love to have lots of plants to weave around in. Mine sat around and did nothing until I added a few more plants. the enclosure literally looks like a bush with a few basking spots and he is always active and happy.

The waterhound thing definitely is true I've also found good ventilation. Mine does best when the ceiling fan is going and he has tons of water.

if you have a wild caught get it checked and treated for parasites. Senegals are only inexpensive at the purchase price. Most of us who keep them wind up spending more than buying a fancy panther just to get them healthy and off to a good start! ha haa

if you have a wild caught get it checked and treated for parasites. Senegals are only inexpensive at the purchase price. Most of us who keep them wind up spending more than buying a fancy panther just to get them healthy and off to a good start! ha haa

That is what I am noticing. My cham was the cheapest purchase.

here are some of my senegal chameleon pics :D i dont actually know the sex yet.. kinyonga, thanks for your help. i really appreciate it. it is very useful to me. im very grateful to have you guys to help me.. thankyou very much :D and btw, im new here :)

chams2.jpg

chams.jpg

Back
Top Bottom