Should I use an Exo-Terra High glass??

But lets face it, (this is my unpopular point) as much as we love our pets and want to do what's right by them, I also believe in aesthetics. As nice as those mesh cages can be, they do not IMO compare to a proper glass terrarium for beauty and appeal.

If I was breeding them and had a specific building or room for them then, yes I would consider this. But many of us have just one, and as in my case, the cage is between the kitchen and living room. I don't want some unsightly mesh cage with plastic wrapped around it that looks like it belongs in the garage. The glass terrarium on a nice stand is a nice center piece for discussion and adds a bit of a "forest flavor" to the otherwise contemporary space.

I'm kind of the same way- I wouldn't want a mesh enclosure in my living room. I don't keep my chameleons there anyway, but back in the early 90s when I started keep chameleons the breeder who got me into them kept them in glass tanks, and so I did likewise. I kept them that way until the mid 90s- probably from 91-96 I used glass tanks for breeding several species and some individuals were kept in glass well beyond that time. I think my original veiled male lived from 91-98 and was in glass the whole time. Some of these animals were the healthiest best looking chameleons I've kept.

One thing that does crack me up about the screen only crowd is that it seems like the first thing many of them want to do is wrap their cage in plastic. Seems like they are just re-inventing the glass enclosure when they do that...

...One thing that does crack me up about the screen only crowd is that it seems like the first thing many of them want to do is wrap their cage in plastic. Seems like they are just re-inventing the glass enclosure when they do that...

I didn't want to say that, :rolleyes: Glad you did. :cool:

I have an fairly unpopular opinion I'd like to share. :cool:

Glass terrarium vs. mesh....it's been debated back and forth a lot from what I read here. Both sides make valid points.

But lets face it, (this is my unpopular point) as much as we love our pets and want to do what's right by them, I also believe in aesthetics. As nice as those mesh cages can be, they do not IMO compare to a proper glass terrarium for beauty and appeal.

If I was breeding them and had a specific building or room for them then, yes I would consider this. But many of us have just one, and as in my case, the cage is between the kitchen and living room. I don't want some unsightly mesh cage with plastic wrapped around it that looks like it belongs in the garage. The glass terrarium on a nice stand is a nice center piece for discussion and adds a bit of a "forest flavor" to the otherwise contemporary space.

I've seen many pictures of rooms full of terrariums, all glass doing just fine by their reptile(s). :p

I will also say this, if I couldn't keep him safe with proper humidity and temp in a glass terrarium, then YES I would go mesh. As is though, I would only go mesh for the summer time and only when he will be outside to get some natural sun and fresh air.

My terrarium has no substrate. I use fake plants and real wood branches for Jackson to climb on and it's EASY to maintain temps and humidity. Sometime TOO easy. :rolleyes:

Here's my set up (its outdated, but you get the idea) humidifying my terrarium.
full

Maintaining a 95 degree temp and getting 70% humidity is EASY. I think the debate over mesh and glass is like Ford vs. Chevy. It's what works for you.

I'm not knocking anyone's mesh cage or hand made cage, I've read with great interest many threads about this. Some are very nice and well made. But in the end, it's not for me.

My thoughts exactly

Last edited by a moderator:

Glass terrarium vs. mesh....it's been debated back and forth a lot from what I read here. Both sides make valid points.

I've seen many pictures of rooms full of terrariums, all glass doing just fine by their reptile(s). :p

I will also say this, if I couldn't keep him safe with proper humidity and temp in a glass terrarium, then YES I would go mesh. As is though, I would only go mesh for the summer time and only when he will be outside to get some natural sun and fresh air.

My terrarium has no substrate. I use fake plants and real wood branches for Jackson to climb on and it's EASY to maintain temps and humidity. Sometime TOO easy. :rolleyes:

full

Maintaining a 95 degree temp and getting 70% humidity is EASY. I think the debate over mesh and glass is like Ford vs. Chevy. It's what works for you.

I'm not knocking anyone's mesh cage or hand made cage, I've read with great interest many threads about this. Some are very nice and well made. But in the end, it's not for me.

Agree... I have tried both and both have work for me (as long as you know the differences in husbandry). :)

One thing that does crack me up about the screen only crowd is that it seems like the first thing many of them want to do is wrap their cage in plastic. Seems like they are just re-inventing the glass enclosure when they do that...

This still leaves 2 sides wide open for air unlike a glass enclosure. But it seems you are happy and I am happy! Happy Happy Happy!!! :D

Do not start a war guys lol joke. The truth is that a screen cage has a lot more air flow but it does not look nice to have in your living room. Also, it is hard to keep humidity/temperature levels, this is why people wrap them with plastic, which can look decent if you do it well, or look crappy if you just tape plastic around. That is up to how much you care about looks and how much time/money you spend.

On the other hand glass has less air flow. But if you make sure you use a cage like the exo terra with air ventilation at the bottom you do get air flow. Just to be safe I have a 120mm computer fan with a speed control that runs in medium speed 15 min every 3 hours to make sure there is air circulation. If you do that just make sure the fan is blowing air out instead off blowing air in so you don't take the risk to have too much air current inside the cage which can give respiratory problems to your cham. I have mine in a corner where my cham does not hang out a lot and over the top mesh. It runs between mists helping the cage to dry completely before the next mist.

The positive side of glass is that it looks a lot nicer and helps a lot in keeping temperature and humidity. I recommend it for people who live in cold/dry areas. But it is also a lot more expensive so up to you :D

In conclusion, both cages are OK! as long as you know the differences in husbandry you need to have :)

Do not start a war guys lol joke. The truth is that a screen cage has a lot more air flow but it does not look nice to have in your living room. Also, it is hard to keep humidity/temperature levels, this is why people wrap them with plastic, which can look decent if you do it well, or look crappy if you just tape plastic around. That is up to how much you care about looks and how much time/money you spend.

On the other hand glass has less air flow. But if you make sure you use a cage like the exo terra with air ventilation at the bottom you do get air flow. Just to be safe I have a 120mm computer fan with a speed control that runs in medium speed 15 min every 3 hours to make sure there is air circulation. If you do that just make sure the fan is blowing air out instead off blowing air in so you don't take the risk to have too much air current inside the cage which can give respiratory problems to your cham. I have mine in a corner where my cham does not hang out a lot and over the top mesh. It runs between mists helping the cage to dry completely before the next mist.

The positive side of glass is that it looks a lot nicer and helps a lot in keeping temperature and humidity. I recommend it for people who live in cold/dry areas. But it is also a lot more expensive so up to you :D

In conclusion, both cages are OK! as long as you know the differences in husbandry you need to have :)

Didn't mean to start any war, but it looks like things are pretty civil. I just feel it's not in the best interest of the noob who's looking for info to tell him facts that ,may or may not be accurate. Just sharing and alternate view. ;)

The Exo Terra terrariums claim to have proper air flow. Just under the doors, the frame is ventilated across the entire width. The claim is that hot air rises out the top mesh, drawing in fresh air from the vents near the bottom. I haven't done any tests, but it makes sense to me.

I LOVE the idea of the fan. I will see if I can incorporate it into my terrarium setup.

full

What size is your exoterra

I use both glass and mesh cages, and I find it far easier to keep humidity and temps in the glass due to the climate I live in (Arizona). I had to take over our walk-in closet (the size of a small/medium bedroom) for my chameleons in order to keep the humidity up in the mesh cage...but now we have extension cords going from our room to the closet.
I'm already coming up with ideas for our house we'll be buying this year for a chameleon room so I can have them all in mesh cages though, and possibly allowing the male to be free ranged...depending on if he leaves the gecko cage alone or not.

This is my x-tall x-large glass cage from exo terra... I haven't have problems at all with it, but I do have a 120mm computer fan with speed control set at half speed blowing air out every 3 hours for 15 min in order to make sure there is good air flow. If you use a fan make sure it is not creating air currents in your tank than can give respiratory problems to your cham. I have mine at half speed in a corner where my cham does not hang out much and blowing air out, not in.

Attachments

• Sunny cage.jpg
    Sunny cage.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 225
What size is your exoterra

Looks as if I can fit 4 to 5 of one those glass enclosures in one of my cages!

You must have a HUGE cage then! lol :D

That is the 18x18x24 Exo Terra, similar to this: (different foam background)

http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Glass-T...232&sr=1-1&keywords=exo+terra+glass+terrarium

BUT.........Amazon just texted me and Jackson's new digs are scheduled to be delivered today.......

I bought him the next size up....24W x 18D x 36H.
http://www.amazon.com/Terra-High-Glass-Terrarium-36-Inch/dp/B0052Y3KTC/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_3

I would have gotten the one larger, but this is the biggest that would fit on the stand (that I also just bought).

Tall Exo Tera

I have just finished my new exo Tera and it's working great my cam George loves it .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 177
You must have a HUGE cage then! lol :D

That is the 18x18x24 Exo Terra, similar to this: (different foam background)

http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Glass-T...232&sr=1-1&keywords=exo+terra+glass+terrarium

BUT.........Amazon just texted me and Jackson's new digs are scheduled to be delivered today.......

I bought him the next size up....24W x 18D x 36H.
http://www.amazon.com/Terra-High-Glass-Terrarium-36-Inch/dp/B0052Y3KTC/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_3

I would have gotten the one larger, but this is the biggest that would fit on the stand (that I also just bought).

Then I was right I can fit at minimum three to four of them in my cage. And they are not unsightly as others suggest. You people really need to give the glass vs mesh a rest. There is plenty of evidence/suggestions for both sides. I happen to think fish tanks fester with water and germs and dont care what who says. Have a fan in def helps them out but who wants to lean in on a rotten smelly fish tank!

I think we can agree that glass vs mesh is a matter of preference and ones ability to maintain the proper environment for their chameleon. My issue is mainly that I want the cage bigger and easy drainage. And for those who are concerned about aesthetics....I think my screen cages are very aesthetically pleasing and the boys room looks great (panorama function messed up the colors, but you get the point). Its hard to get a good picture because the room is so small, I cant back up far enough. Anyway in the end it preference and what works for you.

cages2.jpg

cages.jpg

Then I was right I can fit at minimum three to four of them in my cage. And they are not unsightly as others suggest. You people really need to give the glass vs mesh a rest. There is plenty of evidence/suggestions for both sides. I happen to think fish tanks fester with water and germs and dont care what who says. Have a fan in def helps them out but who wants to lean in on a rotten smelly fish tank!

Maybe you should look into a terrarium. Its NOT a fish tank. A closed mind is not always a good thing. I guarantee you my enclosure does not smell like a fish tank. Lol. Like you ssid, there plenty of support on both sides. Agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom