Superworm myth or truth?

I'm sure your anole may have had something wrong with it then - they barely live long in water - much less stomach acid..

Couldn't have been very big because the anole chewing should have done it in, as stated above, and if the stomach acid didn't kill it then you anole probably didn't have the best stomach acid.

1. What kind of anole was big enough to eat superworms? Not saying there aren't any, because there are, but they're not commonly kept as pets and not commonly referred to as just "anole."

2. If anything ate its way out of anything, death would be guaranteed, not just the loss of a leg.

1. What kind of anole was big enough to eat superworms? Not saying there aren't any, because there are, but they're not commonly kept as pets and not commonly referred to as just "anole."

2. If anything ate its way out of anything, death would be guaranteed, not just the loss of a leg.

That's what I was thinking - but I wasn't going to say it just in case they had proof. :rolleyes:

In any case the surgery for that kind of operation (to save the anole) would be far more than the worth of it.

In any case the surgery for that kind of operation (to save the anole) would be far more than the worth of it.

Im not sure I agree. If an animal in my care needs a procedure to save its life, and if such a procedure would not leave the animal in pain, I would have it done. Money is secondary to the needs of the animals for which I am responsible (plus I am a big suck)

Im not sure I agree. If an animal in my care needs a procedure to save its life, and if such a procedure would not leave the animal in pain, I would have it done. Money is secondary to the needs of the animals for which I am responsible (plus I am a big suck)

Agreed, Money shouldnt be a factor in life or death, should just be done, if you really love an animal You will do anything for it.. (Btw im a big suck too) Haha

As ive said before, 'Theres always exceptions to every rule'. I dont know about your anole, but generally speaking, it dosent happen, for reasons given. In this regard its 'myth'. It would be rare occurance, requiring many factors, compromised health of the animal, swallowing the worm whole without chewing etc etc

It must be like being struck by lightning, in a snow storm, in the desert at the stroke of midnight on the 4th july! LOL

Agreed, Money shouldnt be a factor in life or death, should just be done, if you really love an animal You will do anything for it.. (Btw im a big suck too) Haha

I am a big suck, probably the biggest, I'm going to have to spend 220$+ on my beardy soon as I can afford it. :(

I have also heard a story of this, however in a pet skunk, not a lizard. That skunk died of peritonitis (inflammation/infection of the abdominal cavity) shortly after eating superworms. It was was never proven, however, that the worms were the cause.

In most cases if a worm chewed through the stomach, creating a hole into the coelmic cavity and eventually to the outside world, this would cause massive inflammation and infection from gastric juices and ingestia spilling out into the coelomic cavity. If the animal managed to survive the initial infection, it is likely that severe adhesions/scarring would occur in the abdomen and cause other complications like GI obstruction/entrapment or other organ dysfunction.

I also know of some people who crush the heads of superworms before feeding them out. I never have, but I guess it hasn't ever been proven one way or the other.

This gal from PetSmart told me that you need to cut the heads off superworms because it is possible if the reptile eating the superworm doesn't chew well it will eat it's way out of the animal's intestine.. is this myth or fact? I just bought some and - yuck! If I have to cut the heads off these guys I'm not too sure I'll want to be getting them ever again.

Also if this is myth I'm sure she'll be glad to hear that you don't have to cut the little guy's heads off. She told me they squirt. ;)

Cheers! Be back in a few by the way, laundry, also yuck. :D

Had 2 cut the heads off for force feeding a Sick cham. The head would clog the oral syringe.

I'm so glad to see this thread! I just bought my first chameleon (an 8wk old veiled) yesterday and was told that I shouldn't dare feed him anything but crickets until he's an adult because if he doesn't chew a worm well enough... blah blah blah. So I bought crickets. I HATE crickets! I'm so glad to hear that there ARE other options!

I'm so glad to see this thread! I just bought my first chameleon (an 8wk old veiled) yesterday and was told that I shouldn't dare feed him anything but crickets until he's an adult because if he doesn't chew a worm well enough... blah blah blah. So I bought crickets. I HATE crickets! I'm so glad to hear that there ARE other options!

Superworms are a bit big, try wax worms?

I have a carpet chameleon he's 5-6 months old so I'm ok to give him super worms right?

I think he can handle superworms.
Plus, you can purchase them smaller and younger at petstore or online.
Just request them.

I was told the same thing today!!! (superworms eating through a chams belly) I just smiled and asked for my worms. There was no point in arguing...

Yup, lots of options, such as roaches, silkworms, butterworms, superworms (aka Zophobas aka kingworms), hornworms, moths, isopods, phasmid, etc. Dont totally discount using crickets though! You'll want to keep using those to some extent, as they are easy to gutload to make nutritious.

well since everyone is sharing. . .i actually heard this damn story the first time i went to petsmart to get my worms! So there i was all stupid clipping the mandibles off the worms so they wouldn't kill my first cham. So when he got a month older (5 months now) i stopped this cuz i figured only the strong survive right? so yeah! the next day i fed him one w/ the mandibles and it bit his tongue so he spit it out and then to my surprise looked as if he was mad and then got it again and chewed on the head first! he had always gone for the head but never really had to chew till now so im just not going to do the clipping thing at all anymore for any insect cuz it makes more of a challenge and gives him something to "think" about?! all in all he loves em!

Back
Top Bottom