Teach a chameleon?

fecomosis

Has anyone been able to teach a chameleon something? Maybe like trusting your hand in the cage?

Someone just gave me a veiled chameleon, I have had it for almost a month now and there is no pleasing this thing. No matter what I do, it will try and bite my fingers off.

It is a female, mostly green, plain. I have to clean out the cage every so often and I have to take it out. I have to just yank it out of there because there is no nice way of it wanting to do anything.

Any suggestions?

A Veiled female chameleon…not surprising, they are quite grumpy usually. But yes, my chameleon knows that my hand is not a threat now. He didn't always. He mainly associates it with food and when he sees me he will shoot at me with his tongue (or shoot at my hand with his tongue) even when he knows there is no food there. This just tells me that he is hungry. XD He's actually on my shoulder right now.

The way to do it is hand feeding. Take it slow. It took a while with mine but he got there, and we are STILL strengthening our bond. If she does not take food out of your hand, try holding a cup with the food. Then try setting your hand in front of her and in the other hand hold the food so that she has to walk on your hand to get it. If none of this works, go a day without feeding her (but still give her plenty of water) and then the next day, make sure the first time she eats is from you. Hold a cricket or whatever you're feeding her in one hand and her hunger should work as an incentive to take it right out of your hand. Then start holding another hand in front of her (in the following days) and she probably will start walking on it to reach the food. This is what I do with my chameleon and it has worked greatly for me, but every chameleon is different. It may take less time or more time but it most likely can be done, even for a currently grumpy veiled chameleon. XD

Edit: Oh and don't yank her out! Just put a stick or something in there and put it under her chin, encourage her to walk on it and take her out and set her on a fake plant somewhere (with supervision) when cleaning the enclosure. Or just remove the plant or stick or whatever she is on gently. Don't just forcefully take her out, you're just working backwards that way.

It used to just take the food out of my hand but now its just ridiculous. I want a chameleon taco now! I am just fed up with it at the moment. I threw all its worms in the cage, if its hungry it will have to find them.

:( Well if you're going to do that I'd say at least put crickets in there that will climb the walls of the enclosure so that she can find them better. If you do not want the chameleon give her to someone that will take care of her. And if you are interested in a chameleon just do the research and maybe go for a panther, they are typically more friendly.

Probably not but that depends on where you live. Where do you live?

Is there no one that could take care of it for you?

Do not yank it out of the cage. You will never gain its trust through cruelty.
Do not release it into the wild. If your climate is not right it will die...cruel end for the poor thing. If you don't want it send it to a rescue or to a pet store.
Also you may cause problems with the animals already in that area by transmitting disease.

Keeping a Cham really is about respect and patience, which I feel you don't really have. Or at least don't have any interest in keeping this Cham. Does she have a name, or is the Cham always called 'it'?
Look at the caresheets on here and think about if you can offer her all the care she needs.
If not, try and rehome her.
Kath.

Keeping a Cham really is about respect and patience, which I feel you don't really have. Or at least don't have any interest in keeping this Cham. Does she have a name, or is the Cham always called 'it'?
Look at the caresheets on here and think about if you can offer her all the care she needs.
If not, try and rehome her.
Kath.

Well said Kath!

Chameleons are very intelligent and can learn to trust but you have to earn it. you have to remember being relocated suddenly is big for this little girl and she is nervous and scared. but "yanking" her out of the cage is not only cruel, but extreamly dangerous, you can break her bones like that. Please for the sake of that poor little thing listen to what everyone is trying to tell you, or bring it to a exotic reptile store or rescue.

love

You can try wearing a leather glove if you are afraid of being bit. She needs love and patience. The association with food is the best way, but it takes time. If I want to take mine out in the sun, I kind of gently tip them into a critter keeper. I haven't tried a dowel rod, yet. Be kind.

I have the impression from your tone that you lack the patience needed to tame and care for your cham.

Chams can be very difficult, and it often takes weeks to months to slowly gain their trust.
They are not for everyone.

I would suggest that you give the cham to someone with experience.

If you want a reptile, maybe a beardie would suit you better :)

I find your attitude distressing and disheartening, especially after just losing my two precious boys. Neither liked coming out of their cages much but using the stick was not really that difficult and once out they were fine. You really do not need to take the animal out of the cage to clean it. Chams are arboreal, staying up high in the cage as if in the trees. The poop is on the ground. You can clean it out of there without much difficulty. Just throwing the worms in there without regard for the cham's ability to find them shows your frustration and maybe disregard for their well being. Chams are not companion animals that really enjoy cuddling up on the sofa with their owners. They are solitary creatures by nature. Nor do they harbor malice or malintent towards you. She is just scared and trying to make you go away. Please reconsider how you are treating this animal. It did not knock on your door and ask to move in. Well maybe it did but you could have said no. Above all do not just release it outside. As was said depending on your location it may not survive. Even if you live in an environment that is appropriate for it, consider the fact that it is not an indigent species and the environment in many areas has suffered from people releasing non native species. Please just find it a good home!

Ok let me clarify, out of the sake of the reptile I took it in. Not knowing anything about this when I got it was apart of the issue. I don't really yank it out, I'm swift to get in there then slowly work the finger biting kaiju onto my hand.

I think it's a marvelous creature and like it. It has its moments..

I use repti-cal when feeding, I usually find a grasshopper or two outside and throw it in there.

I take it outside every so often and let it hug a tree.

Name is Kaiju, can it hear it's name when calling? No. Lol

Just got a small male Fischer chameleon today. Not aggressive.

Ok let me clarify, out of the sake of the reptile I took it in. Not knowing anything about this when I got it was apart of the issue. I don't really yank it out, I'm swift to get in there then slowly work the finger biting kaiju onto my hand.

I think it's a marvelous creature and like it. It has its moments..

I use repti-cal when feeding, I usually find a grasshopper or two outside and throw it in there.

I take it outside every so often and let it hug a tree.

Name is Kaiju, can it hear it's name when calling? No. Lol

Just got a small male Fischer chameleon today. Not aggressive.

"I have to just yank it out of there because there is no nice way of it wanting to do anything"

Okay, I am confused, do you yank it out or slowly work it onto your hand?

Is this all you are feeding her? I would be pissy too if I was eating very little.
But, if you are feeding her worms why not make a food cup to mount on the side of the cage, you can probably make one for less than 10$ So that way when you give up on hand feeding, she will have a reliable food source not just if she wants it she will have to find it.

All chameleons are different just like any dog,cat,or person. Each with his or her own personality , some like to be handled while other dont like it at all.

But as far as wondering if she will ever come around, it all depends on how much you put into it. My veiled has his moments where he doesnt want to be bothered , but he knows me and my hand. If he spots me he will pace the branch closest to my bed until I open the door and he crawls right onto my hand. Did he do this at first? no, but with a little bit of hard work and patience, he and I have built a "bond" I cant promise you and say that kaiju will ever change but it if she does , it wont be over night. Patience , love, and proper care will go a long way.

Interesting that the thread is titled "Teach a Chameleon" maybe it should be renamed to "Teach a Chameleon keeper????" the problem isn't the Cham my friend! The problem is you! Your apparently not mature enough to respect the needs of this animal if an animal. Seriously, turn them over to someone who cares and can give these animals the care they need. Animals only bite as a reaction of fear, it's either fight or flight, and if he can not get away he is going to bite. It takes a lot of time and patience to earn a chameleons trust, you have to teach the chameleon to associate you with positive experiences, such as food. But that all starts with YOU. Your question is can you teach a chameleon? The real question is can you be taught? Read the care sheet for your chameleon, can you learn the basics of chameleon husbandry? Can you learn to respect your animal? Then the answer to your question becomes a resounding YES!

I think you should try to find her a new home, you don't seem willing to take the time and energy to properly feed her, or take her out of the enclosure properly. She needs a good home with someone who is willing to take the time to learn and care for her properly.

Just wanted to mention that a veiled female can lay eggs without having mated once sexually mature and it should have an appropriate container in the cage so it can show you when it needs to. Failure to provide a proper place can lead to egg binding and death. When she digs do not let her see you watching her.

Why would you get another one when you don't treat the first one properly? Are you trolling?

Back
Top Bottom