Temp problem....

chamycham

Hi guys, today I was measuring temps in the cage for my future cham I have an exo terra 50 watt basking spot and it get to 92°!!!! Should I get something lower in watts??? Like the Zoomed daylight 25w??

Thanks!!

What kind of Cham are you getting?
I know my male ambilobe has 2 basking spots one runs about 88 and the other runs about 90-95 depending on the time of the day and he always goes to the warmer of the two, he seems to like getting warmed up quicker and on his way adventuring about

Like Whatcamo has suggested your basking temps are entirely dependant on what species of chameleon you are getting.

To reduce the temperature without buying another bulb you could either move the light up (if it's sitting on the top try putting a few blocks of wood underneath to raise it up) or lower your vines/branches.

I'm thinking a baby veiled ir panther.

Alright, temperature is also dependant on the sex of your chameleon

Baby veiled's and panthers (up to 3 months) require a basking temperature of 75 F.

Sub adult and adult males will require a basking temp of 85-90 F, females 75-80 F.

It is recommended that you keep females that little bit cooler to slightly slow their metabolism and hence they produce fewer eggs, presuming that you're not trying to breed that is.

Also I wouldn't spend money on 'basking' bulbs. A normal incandescent household bulb will provide heat and those basking bulbs just don't seem to last as long!

What are you going to use as a UVB source?

I'm glad you're doing your research prior to getting a chameleon :)

Also I wouldn't spend money on 'basking' bulbs. A normal incandescent household bulb will provide heat and those basking bulbs just don't seem to last as long!

What are you going to use as a UVB source?

I'm glad you're doing your research prior to getting a chameleon

Thanks! I´m going to use a Reptisun 5.0 linear tube

buy 1 of each 25w, 40w, 60w incandescent bulbs.

As a baby they will not need that much temperature and depending on where you place the basking branch and laying the light housing on the screen you could most likely get by with the 25w.

As they become juveniles and getting older you could switch up to the 40w bulb and increase the temps slightly by doing so.

When they become adults you will most likely be able to run the 60w bulb at that time.

Granted this is all dependent on how far the branch is from the light etc...

buy 1 of each 25w, 40w, 60w incandescent bulbs.

As a baby they will not need that much temperature and depending on where you place the basking branch and laying the light housing on the screen you could most likely get by with the 25w.

As they become juveniles and getting older you could switch up to the 40w bulb and increase the temps slightly by doing so.

When they become adults you will most likely be able to run the 60w bulb at that time.

Granted this is all dependent on how far the branch is from the light etc...

Thanks! when he grows up I will upgrade him in a 24x24x48 cage so the 60w will be ok?

like i said the branch location etc determines that.

When I am setting up an enclosure for an incoming cham:

I put the lights on top 1st
I put my live plants in where I want them
I will put in my basking spot branch temporarily and check the temp's after 30min and use my temp sensor/gun on that spot. I then adjust it as needed.
I then finish up the rest of the branches and misting/dripper as my last steps.

Back
Top Bottom