The definitive lighting thread! Everything you really need to know

Just got in a 4 bulb t5 system for my viv yesterday; 3 6500k and 1 Reptisun 10.0
Ill make sure to post up some comparative pics from when I was running CFLs and a basking lamp/incandescent, but the difference is amazing. The colors look cleaner and the cham was wearing his relaxed blues and greens so it seems like he's happy
The heat from the bulbs is significant, and in a room temp house (~75') the temp up top about 4" from the bulbs is low 90s/high 80s

incandescent/CFLs
OFWfRN9.jpg

T5HO 4 bulbs, 96W
m76J9ZJ.jpg

So for the panther chameleon i plan on getting its going to be housed in a 2x2x4 aluminum mesh enclosure possibly looking at the 22/24" t5 ho double enclosure(think only 24" is available) with 12% and 6500k. than having a dome light with a basking bulb, will that do?

questions:
what are some options (brands) for basking bulb? and suggested wattage?
how big of a dome do most people use?
lastly not that i plan too. but crossed my mind, can other bulbs work in the HO fixtures?

excellent thread btw thanks to everyone whos contributed, i've read every post usually really late at night so not all of its comprehended, thanks for the help!
get this thread stickied!!!

What about fixtures?

An excellent thread.

But, I have one question left.

What about the fixtures? I can't just hang the tubes in there, they need to be connected to electricity as well ;)

So, can I just buy a chead fixture from the Swedish equivalent of Home Depot, or is it better to get a specialized armature? If so, which ones and why?
I knew I don't want a glass cover, in order not to block the UV, but then what about water, high humidity and moist?

I don't want to electocute anybody...

/ Fredrik

An excellent thread.

But, I have one question left.

What about the fixtures? I can't just hang the tubes in there, they need to be connected to electricity as well ;)

So, can I just buy a chead fixture from the Swedish equivalent of Home Depot, or is it better to get a specialized armature? If so, which ones and why?
I knew I don't want a glass cover, in order not to block the UV, but then what about water, high humidity and moist?

/ Fredrik

If you want brilliant habitats, search for t5HO fixtures.

but then what about water, high humidity and moist?

/ Fredrik

That's what the ground pin is for. Make sure your building wiring is grounded. Don't spray water into the fixture. In a properly setup chameleon habitat, there won't be water on the fixture, either by direct spraying, dripping, or condensate. Regardless, the most moisture infiltration (read humidity) could do in a properly wired situation is degrade the internal connections via corrosion causing them to eventually not work.

A commercial fixture will generally not last as long in this situation as a specially designed unit because the ballasts won't be sealed properly against humidity. In the dark ages I used to remove the ballasts and seal them in large shrink tubing.

Still no sticky? :(

Is it sad that I'm extracting all the important information into a quick reference document? lol

They dont radiate heat, so ya you need a basking spot. also you dont want your cham to have to decide between uv+heat or nothing at all.

the longer i keep a cham the less sense this makes.
in a natural setting there is no choice:)
the sun is the only source...

why is there a thought that a choice would be beneficial?

They dont radiate heat, so ya you need a basking spot. also you dont want your cham to have to decide between uv+heat or nothing at all.

Not true. T5 HO bulbs do radiate heat, quite a bit in fact. I don't use a spot with my T5 fixtures any longer since the temperature is approximately 90 degrees about 3-4" away. Its also in the zone that allows UVB levels closer to basking levels found in natural sunlight.

Last edited:
Still no sticky? :(

Is it sad that I'm extracting all the important information into a quick reference document? lol

According to our moderator, my tone, is the reason my threads will never be a sticky. Im glad you could get some benefit regardless. Thanks Spangoss for you kind words.

Last edited:
According to our moderator, my tone, is the reason my threads will never be a sticky. Im glad you could get some benefit regardless. Thanks Spangoss for you kind words.

In that case, perhaps the pertinent information could be extracted and added to the Care Resources section?

It's quite apparent (and perfectly understandable) that the same things are asked repeatedly. Having a single, up-to-date resource for common questions would help to remove to repetition an unnecessary threads.

Just a suggestion. ;)

Could you elaborate? They may not radiate as much heat as an incadescent but they do create heat. If you can get the correct temperatures with your t5 fixture then I don't see why you would need a basking light in addition. Since your fixture is a 4 lamp I am guessing it is atleast 14 inches wide, with the uvb bulb on either end of the fixture I don't see any issue.

Back
Top Bottom