The definitive lighting thread! Everything you really need to know

Not true. T5 HO bulbs do radiate heat, quite a bit in fact. I don't use a spot with my T5 fixtures any longer since the temperature is approximately 90 degrees about 3-4" away. Its also in the zone that allows UVB levels closer to basking levels found in natural sunlight.

well stated, I should have read the rest of the posts before replying.

In that case, perhaps the pertinent information could be extracted and added to the Care Resources section?

It's quite apparent (and perfectly understandable) that the same things are asked repeatedly. Having a single, up-to-date resource for common questions would help to remove to repetition an unnecessary threads.

Just a suggestion. ;)

That was the whole reason I posted this thread. The repeated asking of the same questions over and over and the outdated or just plain wrong answers that were given in response. The same goes for watering and plants.

The intent of this thread is quality updated info. based on many years (multiple decades) of personal experience through trial and error, to help avoid common mistakes or misperceptions so keepers can know what really works. And its all debatable. People are free to question why, and thats a good thing.

After a significant investment in personal time and cost to educate people on what really works and why, Im not comfortable with others paraphrasing my efforts just create a document that a moderator deems "sticky worthy".

Spangoss, if you see a new member asking " the same old question" again about lighting refer them to this thread and let the discussion continue. The ongoing discussion is a great format for the continued learning in my opinion.

thanks for the replies although doubt im getting the quad was just a thought might go double with basking bulb.

really unfortunate its not stickied

What did you purchase?

well im really jumping the gun, might wait for til the next reptile expo in november to probably purchase my panther. I'm leaning towards the double due to the fact of living at home and electricity bill being an issue. still planning on going t5's though. my brother has some extra fixtures around might use some of his to see whether 2 lights + basking is sufficient or the quad. also want to wait and see how i end up setting the enclosure, think that will be best for my decision

This is a comparison of the Exo-terra 5.0 and 10.0 CFL UVB bulbs measured at 2" and 6" through common chameleon enclosure screen. Remember that natural basking sunlight UVB is between 200-300 microwatts depending on your geographical location and time of year.

UVBCFL5vs10_zps45e69dc1.jpg

UVB 5.0 readings at 2"
2quotuvb50_zps5c6c0b21.jpg

UVB 5.0 at 6"
6quotUVB50_zpsa5a68792.jpg

UVB 10.0 at 2"
2quotuvb10_zps79aca001.jpg

UVB 10.0 at 6"
6quotUVB10_zps5e9557ee.jpg

In order for most sun loving chameleons to get the UVB in any quantity while basking, they would need to be within 2" of the top of the habitat. The "throw" of these UVB lights are very limited and concentrated to a very small area. So placing them right above your basking are would be required.

In comparison the Arcadia 12.0
4"
107MW2quot_zpsbafdf305.jpg

8"
40MWat5quot_zpse8a1ed53.jpg

The more you know, the healthier your chameleons will be.

Good keeping,
The Chameleon Godfather

Last edited:
Absolutely, so long as the habitat is properly constructed.

Well what I'm planning with my enclosure is 2x2x4 black aluminum mesh around. the top meshing is gonna be a lil bit different the holes are going to be slight bit larger than the surrounding figured would be better for the lighting to travel through. I do plan to plant it with a croton/schflerra/ficus (at least 2 of those 3 if not all 3) a pothos hanging from the top eventually some air plants scattered around and vines and branches. thats as much info i can assume until i start building in a few weeks.

12% still seem like the better choice or should i build and decide than

What LED is best for chameleon?

The one that completes the spectrum from your main lighting. LED's do nothing for the health of the cham, but can complete the spectrum for better color and may help his mood. Normally with fluorescents you want some reds/oranges from the leds, if you need them at all. These modern arcadia and zoomed lamps have 6 phosphors and are pretty much on the money for spectrum.

Is an Arcadia 12% recommended for a baby? Maybe just elevate it off the top of the enclosure? Im deciding between a 6% and a 12% (going dual, 6500 for plants). I dont have a cham yet just doing some research but i see 10 different answers on lighting lol.

Building my cage 48" but make a divider to 30" for the baby and then make it bigger as he grows (planning on male veiled).

Only thing I seem confused about is 6% vs 12%, and whether I should still get a basking light just incase?

Is an Arcadia 12% recommended for a baby? Maybe just elevate it off the top of the enclosure? Im deciding between a 6% and a 12% (going dual, 6500 for plants). I dont have a cham yet just doing some research but i see 10 different answers on lighting lol.

Building my cage 48" but make a divider to 30" for the baby and then make it bigger as he grows (planning on male veiled).

Only thing I seem confused about is 6% vs 12%, and whether I should still get a basking light just incase?

You need a basking light for heat. I gave my numbers are few pages back on the diff between the 6% and 12% at a couple of distances, and the meter reading from outside.

I would get the 12%, and a halogen 40ish watt flood light for basking. Then just load up the cage with a big potho or other leafy plant so the baby has plenty of places to hide.

Good question.

Baby chameleons in the wild bask under the same sun as adult chameleons. So using one light for babies and another for adults just isn't necessary. Understanding your specific variables will help. Are you using screen on top of your enclosure? If so, as demonstrated earlier in the thread by the UVB meter that approximately 50% is blocked by the screen leaving just a fraction of what natural sunlight produces.

If your habitat is set up properly a 12% bulb will offer closer UVB levels to natural sunlight and is what I recommend. Hope this helps.

Good question.

Baby chameleons in the wild bask under the same sun as adult chameleons. So using one light for babies and another for adults just isn't necessary. Understanding your specific variables will help. Are you using screen on top of your enclosure? If so, as demonstrated earlier in the thread by the UVB meter that approximately 50% is blocked by the screen leaving just a fraction of what natural sunlight produces.

If your habitat is set up properly a 12% bulb will offer closer UVB levels to natural sunlight and is what I recommend. Hope this helps.

Well Im definately interested now, in the Arcadia 12%. I have a question: Is there a place that sells those bulbs/fixture and ships to Canada cheap? Gonna cost me $92 for the dual bulb fixture (comes with the bulb and a 6500), and like $32 for shipping. Just wondering if thats a normal shipping charge or not? Seems like every place that is popular on these forums ships to US only.

ya thats going to be the cheapest. Rememeber if you buy the next cheapest fixture, its gonna be $100 just for the dual t5 ho without bulbs.

Well Im definately interested now, in the Arcadia 12%. I have a question: Is there a place that sells those bulbs/fixture and ships to Canada cheap? Gonna cost me $92 for the dual bulb fixture (comes with the bulb and a 6500), and like $32 for shipping. Just wondering if thats a normal shipping charge or not? Seems like every place that is popular on these forums ships to US only.

I purchased my lighting from a canadian vendor on Ebay. Six bulb unit with a digital timer for 169.00 delivered. You may want to try there.

Right so I'm having a problem with my Cham and the temps.

I currently have one 150w spot bulb that holds the temps at 72ish and that about 1.5ft from the bulb do the spot build that produce uvb kick out more heat? I still think it needs to come up as my panther really isn't happy and hasn't been for the last 4 weeks in his new cage.

I am currently running a T8 24" and that's it. Should I be looking to upgrade to the t5 of use the both? I read the t5 kick out more heat so would this help with the ambient.

I ain't clever when it comes to this and a lot of what I read made no seance lol! Either that or I get the T5 and put a plant bulb in the t8 would that be better?

I just think that it's not hot enough for him and I'm worried

Back
Top Bottom