Uvb Light/Heat Lamp and Enclosure

killua1995

Hey im very new to owning a Chameleon, i got the little guy 3 days ago.
I have been researching about Chameleons for a couple weeks now and just wanted to ask some questions about my Enclosure.
Hes really dark all the time and since yesterday he went to the front glass and hung out there for a long time and also slept next to it, if i open the Terrarium he wants to come out which i find irritating so early on, but its not hard getting him back in.
He seems to be around 4-5 months old if id guess from what pictures ive seen on the internet and these forums.
My Uvb is setup 30cm~ above the highest point and its a called: AIICIOO Desert 5.0 24W UVB T5 HO, which id figure is 6% but it doesent state it anywhere.
My Heatlamp is 75W and about 20cm above the basking Branch because i was not getting close to 29celcius, i can put it higher if needed.
I am about to get some new plants to get him more foliage, i dont really now if i should be worried that about him not getting enough uvb/temp/foliage or hes just not yet settled in.

Attachments

• IMG_20240704_172522.jpg
    IMG_20240704_172522.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240704_172626.jpg
    IMG_20240704_172626.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 20
Hi there welcome to the forum. My concern would be the UVB. Not all off brand fixtures and bulbs produce the correct levels of UVB. The only two that are universally recommended are zoomed reptisun and Arcadia Pro T5HO fixtures. With the current distance you have for your uvb being almost 12 inches in distance you would need a 10.0 reptisun bulb or a 12% arcadia bulb to produce a 3 UVI where the chameleon is 12 inches down directly below the fixture. Now your fixture may be fine if it has a good reflector (metal) on it and is a T5HO but I would consider changing out the bulb to one of the ones I have recommended as they are proven to produce the correct UVI output.

For basking you want a temp range of 27-29c and no hotter. If your basking bulb is a focus heat bulb just watch the output on this and make sure you are putting a temp probe at the branch right below the fixture to get an accurate temp. Keep in mind as you rise up away from the branch it gets hotter.

Hi and welcome! :) You don’t say where you did your research from and there is a ton of misinformation out there about chameleon husbandry. Have you found https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ or https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/ as those are the two sources that contain the very best current info. Your enclosure looks to be set up well, but what are your temps and humidity levels at? Usually when a chameleon (especially a veiled) is so willing to come out to us, it’s because they are not liking their enclosure or something about it is wrong. I am wondering about your uvb. From the info you give, you have a 5.0 strength, which is equivalent to a 6%. However, I can not trust that it is putting out the uvb levels that it is supposed to. Without a solarmeter 6.5, (which is pricey), there is no other way to test its output. When I started seeing so many of these less expensive uvb set ups on Amazon, I knew people will be buying them and since I needed another uvb light, I decided to buy one of the more reputable brands (ReptiZoo) to test. The result was dismal and the bulb did not come close to the output it should have had. I’ve had better output from Arcadia bulbs that are over a year old. The fixture itself works fine and I’ve had good results from putting an Arcadia uvb bulb in it. However, after about 4-5 months the Arcadia bulb burned out, which has never happened before with Arcadia or ReptiSun fixtures. I have no way of knowing if it was the fixture or the bulb that caused it. I’ve put another Arcadia bulb in and if that burns out, I’ll assume it’s the fixture. Anyhow, I suggest either returning the entire uvb and getting a proven Arcadia ProT5 or ReptiSun T5 or at the least, getting a new uvb bulb from either of the proven two brands. Once you get the new uvb, make sure that the distance between the light and basking area is 8-9”. Also, do check your temps and basking for a young male should be no higher than 80F and 85F for an adult male. Humidity should be between 30-50% during the day. Make sure all of these are within range, get the new uvb and see how your guy does.

Hi and welcome! :) You don’t say where you did your research from and there is a ton of misinformation out there about chameleon husbandry. Have you found https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ or https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/ as those are the two sources that contain the very best current info. Your enclosure looks to be set up well, but what are your temps and humidity levels at? Usually when a chameleon (especially a veiled) is so willing to come out to us, it’s because they are not liking their enclosure or something about it is wrong. I am wondering about your uvb. From the info you give, you have a 5.0 strength, which is equivalent to a 6%. However, I can not trust that it is putting out the uvb levels that it is supposed to. Without a solarmeter 6.5, (which is pricey), there is no other way to test its output. When I started seeing so many of these less expensive uvb set ups on Amazon, I knew people will be buying them and since I needed another uvb light, I decided to buy one of the more reputable brands (ReptiZoo) to test. The result was dismal and the bulb did not come close to the output it should have had. I’ve had better output from Arcadia bulbs that are over a year old. The fixture itself works fine and I’ve had good results from putting an Arcadia uvb bulb in it. However, after about 4-5 months the Arcadia bulb burned out, which has never happened before with Arcadia or ReptiSun fixtures. I have no way of knowing if it was the fixture or the bulb that caused it. I’ve put another Arcadia bulb in and if that burns out, I’ll assume it’s the fixture. Anyhow, I suggest either returning the entire uvb and getting a proven Arcadia ProT5 or ReptiSun T5 or at the least, getting a new uvb bulb from either of the proven two brands. Once you get the new uvb, make sure that the distance between the light and basking area is 8-9”. Also, do check your temps and basking for a young male should be no higher than 80F and 85F for an adult male. Humidity should be between 30-50% during the day. Make sure all of these are within range, get the new uvb and see how your guy does.
most of the research is from the sources you stated and about the uvb i will gladly take ur guidance and try out the one you recommended.
me humidity in the day is about 50-60 and the temp ranges from the bottom of the enclosure with 21c to 28 at the basking spot.

most of the research is from the sources you stated and about the uvb i will gladly take ur guidance and try out the one you recommended.
me humidity in the day is about 50-60 and the temp ranges from the bottom of the enclosure with 21c to 28 at the basking spot.
im kinda torn between what you and beman stated if i should get a 10.0 reptisun or a 5.0, also my uvb doesent go through anything, ive cut out a part of the grid and 30cm above the basking spot.

im kinda torn between what you and beman stated if i should get a 10.0 reptisun or a 5.0, also my uvb doesent go through anything, ive cut out a part of the grid and 30cm above the basking spot.
If you keep the same distance between basking branch and your light, then you’ll want to get a 10.0 or 12% as @Beman has said. If you move your basking branch closer to your light so the distance is 8-9 inches, then you’ll get either the 5.0 or 6%. More distance needs stronger light. :)

If you keep the same distance between basking branch and your light, then you’ll want to get a 10.0 or 12% as @Beman has said. If you move your basking branch closer to your light so the distance is 8-9 inches, then you’ll get either the 5.0 or 6%. More distance needs stronger light. :)
alright, thank you very much for taking the time to help me :).

Back
Top Bottom