Veild at Petsmart

I am a firm believer that neither Petsmart or Petco should sell chameleons. But, if you are, why not have the proper enclosures for them. That's the part that drives me crazy the most....besides the fact that most don't know how to properly care for them at all.

A Petco near me sells chameleons quite a bit and it aggravated me to see them in these little tiny glass block with no airflow. I was nice about it, but I did tell the manager that keeping chameleons that way was detrimental to their health. The last time I went in, they had brought in one of the big cylindrical parakeet enclosures, you know the 8 foot glass tubes, and put the chameleons in that instead. So they had tons of room, good airflow and they actually had proper lighting on them as well. I'm not saying that what I said to the manager aided in this decision or not, but the fact of the matter is, even the staff at these establishments don't know proper protocol for chameleons. But, I have found that the majority of them do care very much about animals. So, IMO, it is a good idea to kindly tell them the issue with their husbandry...because they may just surprise you and change it! Knowledge is everything!

Those that won't listen to you....feel free to throw a gigantic fit if needed :p
The petco near me keeps them in glass, Uses bedding and only feeds them meal worms. They do use a dripper, and have a fairly roomy enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom