Veild at Petsmart

Awasome,btw did u set up ur cage yet for the baby?
I have her/him in a little home made cage right now but let me show you the one I'm working on. When it's big enough to cup feed or hand feed, (the first couple of days it was fine to hand feed but this cham doesnt want to and backs up and darkens a little) like the others, it's going in here:
I haven't gotten a main perch or stronger horizontal limbs but there is plenty of strong vines and a rope strung from side to side to back.
I put screen in the bottom instead of that cardboard so I can set it over a bin to catch any water from the dripper. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1464141340343581651994.jpg
    1464141340343581651994.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 169
I have her/him in a little home made cage right now but let me show you the one I'm working on. When it's big enough to cup feed or hand feed, (the first couple of days it was fine to hand feed but this cham doesnt want to and backs up and darkens a little) like the others, it's going in here:
I haven't gotten a main perch or stronger horizontal limbs but there is plenty of strong vines and a rope strung from side to side to back.
I put screen in the bottom instead of that cardboard so I can set it over a bin to catch any water from the dripper. What do you think?
I meant the new baby cham which Im going to ship it to u,what enclosure will u let him stay ??

Obviously you didn't Read my text. No money was involved. I agree with you. I would never buy a chamy from those guys.

That wasn't directed at you. It was a blanket statement, addressing the calls for someone with the means to "rescue" chameleons EVERYTIME someone sees one suffering in Petco. It's ugly and we all are aware, but it's really not far of course to what WC animals endure during importation.....they have it even worse!

O, dang! I'm sorry! The plan w him depends on what you tell me. I have another cage just like the one that I fixed up for the Backwater cham I already have that i found last weekend, used at this petshop, Jurrassic Pets. If you tell me your little guy doesn't cup feed, then, I'll put him in this one here. I have 3 of these little cages because we are in Colorado and I like to set my guys in the beautiful sunshine and not worry about the damn birds. I have plan and parts but I was waiting on you and your info.
I meant the new baby cham which Im going to ship it to u,what enclosure will u let him stay ??

O, dang! I'm sorry! The plan w him depends on what you tell me. I have another cage just like the one that I fixed up for the Backwater cham I already have that i found last weekend, used at this petshop, Jurrassic Pets. If you tell me your little guy doesn't cup feed, then, I'll put him in this one here. I have 3 of these little cages because we are in Colorado and I like to set my guys in the beautiful sunshine and not worry about the damn birds. I have plan and parts but I was waiting on you and your info.

Attachments

• 20160524_203452.jpg
    20160524_203452.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 123
No worry,did u think I break my promise to u lol,I will look into ur weather info next week so we can decide together to get this beautiful male to u as my gift,I want to make sure he has a great journey thats all.

Do you think I should get the other big cage ready or just get his tube and basking lights together and keep him in this little place. Which ever you think he is ready for. I thought Backwater would be hand/cup feeding by now but it's trial and error right now. Let me know what you think he is ready for

That wasn't directed at you. It was a blanket statement, addressing the calls for someone with the means to "rescue" chameleons EVERYTIME someone sees one suffering in Petco. It's ugly and we all are aware, but it's really not far of course to what WC animals endure during importation.....they have it even worse!
O. Ok. Sorry. Thought you didn't get what I was saying. I just avoid looking when I go in for dog food. I think they are terrible. Somebody said they were gonna stop selling chamys

Do you think I should get the other big cage ready or just get his tube and basking lights together and keep him in this little place. Which ever you think he is ready for. I thought Backwater would be hand/cup feeding by now but it's trial and error right now. Let me know what you think he is ready for
The Alphakenc way will be complete different from the backwater,we will chat more after,Im jus letting u know I didnt forget my promise to u thats all.

He will cup feed n free range feeding also,so no worry ,I will explain all the detail on how to take care of him n Im sure u are a great chameleon keeper already.
Thank you. My family thinks I'm a fanatic. But I think when you do something in your life, you do the best you can. And I am a nurturing person. I give it my all to do it the best. You have made a good choice.

Thank you. My family thinks I'm a fanatic. But I think when you do something in your life, you do the best you can. And I am a nurturing person. I give it my all to do it the best. You have made a good choice.
U can say that again n u are more than welcome(y)

I agree, Extensionofgreen. PetCo is a luxury resort compared to what happens to the wild caught imports that make it to the US alive. Don't forget a lot more never lived long enough to make it into the shipping crate.

Thankfully, my local Petsmart has stopped carrying chameleons. This is probably because the last three they had died in their cages. Last one didn't even make it to four months of age. :mad:

I bought my cham from petco for $30 nose to tail was 4.5". Just handed me a paper on how to care for it and that was that. It's sad when they don't make sure you know what your doing. I did my research, but anyone could walk out with one and not have a clue.

but the goal of the store is to sell animals.
In truth is the animals are there to be sold and to sell merchandise. Food and supplies can have a 250 to 300% markup. They get you to buy the pet so you buy everything that goes with it. If you don't want these places selling reptiles don't buy your non emergency reptile supplies there. (There are plenty of places to order from on the forum.) If you see an animal in a bad situation DO tell the staff or better the manager. If you want to rescue it tell them you will take it off there hands for free or at cost if necessary. If you take the profit out of poor reptile handling maybe it won't happen as much.
Sadly no good deed goes unpunished and you will need to expect to incur extra veterinary expenses. If thats fine with you do it and have good chameleon karma.

The veild at my Petsmart near me looks fine to my knowledge he doesn't have any burns or any thing looking out of shape, but his enclosure is sooooo small with barely any plants all he has is a small 3 inch tree with a water bowl in a 3 gallon tank
What you described is exactly what Is wrong. No air, no humidity, no drinking water. He is on the same road the othersame are on

Supplies are pretty good, but some are pricey. Live pets are often a disgrace at these chains. It's difficult to ignore and leave them, but it should be done so not to continue to encourage the poor conditions of the habitat an animal treatment.
Unfortunately, they may sometimes be purchased but the uninformed, and that can be just as bad.

Back
Top Bottom