Weird Behavior

Mello

So I'm new to the whole chameleon thing as well as this forum. Before I got a chameleon, I was reading everything I could about taking care of them, housing them, their behaviors, etc. I bought my veiled about a week ago and have been watching his behavior everyday. It's weird! It seems like she does everything that I've read is bad but she seems the opposite. Some examples

1) she is always black or a dark green when in her cage except for when she is just about to sleep and while sleeping she is almost like a neon green or when I hold her (not too often) she is striped with a dark and light green (looks exactly like army camo) or that same neon green...

2) She sits at the front of her cage by the door all the time or paws at the glass which I heard is bad..

I can't tell if these things are normal anymore or if it's just because she's still young (about a month old). Can someone help me shed some light on this

So I'm new to the whole chameleon thing as well as this forum. Before I got a chameleon, I was reading everything I could about taking care of them, housing them, their behaviors, etc. I bought my veiled about a week ago and have been watching his behavior everyday. It's weird! It seems like she does everything that I've read is bad but she seems the opposite. Some examples

1) she is always black or a dark green when in her cage except for when she is just about to sleep and while sleeping she is almost like a neon green or when I hold her (not too often) she is striped with a dark and light green (looks exactly like army camo) or that same neon green...

2) She sits at the front of her cage by the door all the time or paws at the glass which I heard is bad..

I can't tell if these things are normal anymore or if it's just because she's still young (about a month old). Can someone help me shed some light on this

Yes, fill out the help questions so we know what your setup and husbandry is like. She is still getting settled after a week. It is normal for most chams to turn a lighter brighter color when asleep. The dark coloration with markings is a sign of stress. Something about her setup isn't right, but we need more info to tell what.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 1 female veiled, 1 week in cage
Handling - Never other than when I had to fix cage after it collapsed (once)
Feeding & Supplements - Small crickets once a day every morning when I wake up(7:30-8:30am); dust crickets with Tetrafauna ReptoCal
Watering - Mister every 4 hours for about 30 secs. She drinks on a regular basis
Fecal Description - brown with some white in it
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Exo Terra Glass Enclosure 18"x18"x24x"
Lighting -Lights on from 6:30am-8:30pm; 1 Repti Glo 5.0 UVB bulb @26W and 1 Exo Terra Intense Basking bulb @75W both in a mini combo Deep Dome Fixture
Temperature - Temp ranges from about 68 degrees at night to 78 during the day
Humidity - varies between 50% to about 80% but never drops below 50; maintained by half of top vent covered by saran wrap;
Plants - no live plants (can't afford at the moment)
Placement - Cage is in corner of my room by window. Top of the cage is about 4ft off the ground
Location - Green Bay, WI, country area

Current Problem - Weird coloration and behavior

Mine had the same issue what does his cage look like can to post a pic ..

18x18x24 Cage.jpg
Mine had the same issue what does his cage look like can to post a pic ..

18x18x24 cage...not much in it but I thought it was pretty decent for the time being. It was kind of a last minute thing because the cham was on sale last weekend haha

View attachment 87906

18x18x24 cage...not much in it but I thought it was pretty decent for the time being. It was kind of a last minute thing because the cham was on sale last weekend haha

Yea. I gotcha I bought mine the same way
yza9ygad.jpg
this was my cage when I got it and he was acting the same as yours is then I did this
a9e7u2an.jpg
and now he is acting fine

How are you measuring temps? A 75 watt bulb for a small glass enclosure sounds really, really hot.

Definitely get more coverage in there and see if that helps. She might be dark because she feels exposed and stressed out.

Back
Top Bottom