what noise bothers chameleons?

maelo

ok sooo i’m like in the process of getting a chameleon (have been browsing but am going to build the enclosure and all of that fun stuff first so probably won’t ACTUALLY get a chameleon until early august but still) and i wanted to know what sorta sounds bother them. i seen tons of stuff abt how they can’t actually hear but can hear frequencies? my enclosure is gonna be in my bedroom cus i’m still in high school and live with my fam and have nowhere else for it to go and i like sleeping with white noise (sue me im like a baby) and wanted to know if that would bother them? i feel so silly for asking this but its just been on my mind for a few days so decided y not. new to the chameleon hobby so dont judge pls thx, just began my research and shopping like a week ago!!! woohoo! hoping a chameleon will help me tough through my upcoming senior year! yaaaaay so excited for school to start JULY 31st!!!! (if u can’t tell i’m being sarcastic because WHY TF IS SCHOOL STARTING IN JULY????)

ok sooo i’m like in the process of getting a chameleon (have been browsing but am going to build the enclosure and all of that fun stuff first so probably won’t ACTUALLY get a chameleon until early august but still) and i wanted to know what sorta sounds bother them. i seen tons of stuff abt how they can’t actually hear but can hear frequencies? my enclosure is gonna be in my bedroom cus i’m still in high school and live with my fam and have nowhere else for it to go and i like sleeping with white noise (sue me im like a baby) and wanted to know if that would bother them? i feel so silly for asking this but its just been on my mind for a few days so decided y not. new to the chameleon hobby so dont judge pls thx, just began my research and shopping like a week ago!!! woohoo! hoping a chameleon will help me tough through my upcoming senior year! yaaaaay so excited for school to start JULY 31st!!!! (if u can’t tell i’m being sarcastic because WHY TF IS SCHOOL STARTING IN JULY????)
I have never had a problem with this I don't think you have to change anything. How big are you making the cage?

Hi and welcome to the forum! I’m not sure about what sounds they can hear but if this is your first chameleon I recommend checking out Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube and chameleonacademy.com. Where are you planning to purchase your chameleon?

I have never had a problem with this I don't think you have to change anything. How big are you making the cage?
it’s going to be 2x2x4 feet. my room isn’t suuuuper big but it’s gonna be on the opposite side from where i sleep so it’s not like it’ll be right next to my phone playing the white noise or anything but i just wanted to be sure. my dumbass just gets caught up on the most random of thoughts and just keeps thinking abt them until i find out the answer lol. thanks so much tho i rlly appreciate the insight!!

Hi and welcome to the forum! I’m not sure about what sounds they can hear but if this is your first chameleon I recommend checking out Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube and chameleonacademy.com. Where are you planning to purchase your chameleon?
yes i’ve been binging lots of neptunes videos!! i plan on getting a panther chameleon but lowkey have no clue where i plan on buying them from yet. the only pet stores near me are petco and petsmart which i know are pretty much no gos. i live in atlanta and repticon is happening here this weekend so i plan on attending with my dad to learn more and look around! i’ve been struggling a bit to find breeders near me to buy locally but have been looking at morphmarket.com and have seen a few chameleons on there who I’ve fallen in love with but i’m not sure if it’s a good site to buy from?? i am 17 which means my funds as for BUYING the chameleon itself aren’t that high, but i’ve seen a few young female chameleons listed on there for around $250 which may be my plan is it’s a good place to buy from.

yes i’ve been binging lots of neptunes videos!! i plan on getting a panther chameleon but lowkey have no clue where i plan on buying them from yet. the only pet stores near me are petco and petsmart which i know are pretty much no gos. i live in atlanta and repticon is happening here this weekend so i plan on attending with my dad to learn more and look around! i’ve been struggling a bit to find breeders near me to buy locally but have been looking at morphmarket.com and have seen a few chameleons on there who I’ve fallen in love with but i’m not sure if it’s a good site to buy from?? i am 17 which means my funds as for BUYING the chameleon itself aren’t that high, but i’ve seen a few young female chameleons listed on there for around $250 which may be my plan is it’s a good place to buy from.
The best places to buy from would be the site sponsors
https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/?tag=chameleons I would suggest starting with a male so you won’t have to deal with any potential issues with egg laying.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! I’m guessing you’ve been looking at panther chameleons. You can’t go wrong buying from one of the forum sponsors. The prices may be a bit higher than you’ve budgeted for, but not only will you be assured of getting a healthy chameleon, but the breeders are responsive after the sale, which isn’t always the case with some. If you are looking for veiled chameleons, there are some who are in need of good homes here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...chameleons-chameo-has-a-bunch-of-them.192740/ Also, Fram’s chams currently has veileds for sale. While some of us have gotten chameleons from the chain pet stores, we have been very fortunate or lucky to get healthy animals, which is too often not the case.

White noise is not an issue. Especially if it is like the sound of a fan etc. What you will find being an issue are vibrations. So playing loud music with speakers near an enclosure or TV near an enclosure the vibrations of the sound is what can irritate them. Then there are lights in a room at night. You do not want to use overhead lighting and you want to make sure if you use a bedside lamp it is a very low wattage. Additionally their lungs are very sensitive so things like candles, incense, room spray, cleaning products etc are not recommended.

White noise is not an issue. Especially if it is like the sound of a fan etc. What you will find being an issue are vibrations. So playing loud music with speakers near an enclosure or TV near an enclosure the vibrations of the sound is what can irritate them. Then there are lights in a room at night. You do not want to use overhead lighting and you want to make sure if you use a bedside lamp it is a very low wattage. Additionally their lungs are very sensitive so things like candles, incense, room spray, cleaning products etc are not recommended.
thank u for the amazing info! that totally answers my question and i will keep this all in mind. tysm!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Best place for advice and feedback on the net. They do hear. One of mine calms right down when I hum or sing. The vibration they pick up also. Beman is right about loud music etc. I had one crush the cartilage in my ear once when a firetruck drove by and blew its horn just when he grabbed my ear to get on my head. Of course it wasn’t his fault. Their feet can be very strong and it sent me to the hospital for a debrisment. When you have everything ready and look to buy one, a decent breeder will want to do a husbandry check with you to make sure your setup is good. If they don’t, then tell them you will get back to them cause they aren’t really interested in a safe placement for their chameleons they are just interested in making a buck. One thing I do want to express to you is caring for chams is a lot of daily work so you need someone in the home to cover you when you aren’t there. Dealing with live food isn’t for everybody. Now they live 5-8 years and you need to be ready for a commitment that long. Another good source of info is the chameleon academy. Please keep us updated on your journey into the wonderful world of chameleons!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Best place for advice and feedback on the net. They do hear. One of mine calms right down when I hum or sing. The vibration they pick up also. Beman is right about loud music etc. I had one crush the cartilage in my ear once when a firetruck drove by and blew its horn just when he grabbed my ear to get on my head. Of course it wasn’t his fault. Their feet can be very strong and it sent me to the hospital for a debrisment. When you have everything ready and look to buy one, a decent breeder will want to do a husbandry check with you to make sure your setup is good. If they don’t, then tell them you will get back to them cause they aren’t really interested in a safe placement for their chameleons they are just interested in making a buck. One thing I do want to express to you is caring for chams is a lot of daily work so you need someone in the home to cover you when you aren’t there. Dealing with live food isn’t for everybody. Now they live 5-8 years and you need to be ready for a commitment that long. Another good source of info is the chameleon academy. Please keep us updated on your journey into the wonderful world of chameleons!
Thank you for letting me know that. I will 100% make sure any breeder I buy from has interest in sending their chameleon to a safe home. I come from a family of 4 (one younger brother) with two dogs (who will never be near the enclosure because one doesn’t know how to use the stairs and the other is as timid as a chameleon lol. They will 100% be very cared for here and for the years I live on campus at college my brother or best friend would love to care for them. Just went out and got some sticks for the enclosure and am currently cleaning them. Will keep everyone updated on how the setup goes once the enclosure finally arrives!

Back
Top Bottom