bath time???

didney

So last time I went to the vet with my chat that had mbd. He suggested to keep her hydration levels up to soak her in Luke warm water about a half an inch so her cloaka..or how ever else u spell it.. can soak. I tried this with the baby veiled I have and he hates it! Is this a good way to hydrate if I don't see him drinking enough or is this to stressful for him. I had doubts when the vet told me. But who am I to question a vet. So I thought I would ask u guys.

I would be interested in the answer to this as well. I know that is how bearded dragons and some other reptiles get a majority their water. I soak my bearded every other day.

My beardie gets his bath too but I'm not sure there is much evidence a Cham can be hydrated that way.
A shower is what most here do. Plant in the shower with Cham on it, warm water (not cold or hot) spraying on a wall so it bounces off onto the plant and Cham.
Kath.

My panther hates showers. He sits at the edge of the plant reaching out and begging me to take him out. Its so cute but he stays and gets his hydration.

None of my reptiles like a shower or bath. It mainly is there for them to poop. Otherwise I never had much luck with it. I now use a syringe with plain water and drop it onto their nose/mouth area. They lick it right up so the water so straight into the mouth.

There was a post about this long ago(I will see if I can find it) and I had thought that they did not hydrate that way and I was corrected by Dr. O who is one of the vets who participates on this forum. It is not the standard way to hydrate a chameleon, but apparently they can benefit from it. I think if your chameleon was ill and dehyrated it would be more of a last resort and not something you want to do on a regular basis. Misting and using a dripper are the normal ways to hydrate of course. If I can find the thread I will post it..

ok so here it is. It was actually a thread about constipation but talks about baths and hydration also.
As quoted by Dr. O:
-if your cham goes berserk in water, then i absolutely agree---too much stress!! however, ime some chams will either slowly walk around in belly-high lukewarm water, while most will stand up on 2 legs and do their slow-motion scrabble with their front feet trying to climb out (but not show any real stress colors).

the reason i prefer to keep mine "dunked" is twofold. most obvious is that it's warming their belly nicely and getting things moving. but the main reason is that the cloaca can absorb a tremendous amount of water, virtually as hydrating as oral. so not only are they absorbing extra water which helps everything, but it's also coming at the fecal from the other direction, helping to soften it even more. mine don't usually poop in the water (10-15 minutes total), but within the hour after it's almost always successful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom