Best brands for Chameleons

I made this thread to help, unlike what happen in one of my threads...

I help will help recommend the best brands to chameleon keepers.

I personally recommend Zoo Med, as the chameleon kit gives you every thing you need for your chameleon.
DISCLAIMER: The kit does NOT come with a mist system, only the old fashioned mist bottle. Picture below:
image.jpg

One more thing, DO NOT use waterfalls, as they can cause bacteria to grow.

I'm sure zoomed has nice things but their compact lamps are crap... The double dome also is far from ideal for a compact lamp as a compact has a better UVB output to the sides and should be better be placed horizontal rather than vertically.

As lamp I recommend arcadia as a brand.
If you're going to use reptisun lamps best get the tube light or a normal uvb bulb.

I would also not use a mist bottle like that but use one with a pump since you can provide continious misting without straining you arm to much... Better yet buy a mistking (or similar) and rest assured that your cham will get the mistings he needs even when you're not around.

And if you're buying the starter kit for a veiled or panther go XL since the other ones will be to small fast.
They also don't provide a lot of foliage and branches so you better add some (and live plants).

I'm sure zoomed has nice things but their compact lamps are crap... The double dome also is far from ideal for a compact lamp as a compact has a better UVB output to the sides and should be better be placed horizontal rather than vertically.

As lamp I recommend arcadia as a brand.
If you're going to use reptisun lamps best get the tube light or a normal uvb bulb.

I would also not use a mist bottle like that but use one with a pump since you can provide continious misting without straining you arm to much... Better yet buy a mistking (or similar) and rest assured that your cham will get the mistings he needs even when you're not around.

And if you're buying the starter kit for a veiled or panther go XL since the other ones will be to small fast.
They also don't provide a lot of foliage and branches so you better add some (and live plants).
Well, the thing with the mist bottle is that you have to get used to it, you know, I mist a good three times a day
I found that the deeper the light get down, the more it will spread out.

I was just asking, have you ever had Zoo Med, because you just said the lamp is crap.

The problem with hand pumping is that I have never heard of anyone breaking them so they cant be misting 3 or 4 minutes at a time. A lot of chameleons won't drink from drippers and some chameleons won't drink until 3 or 4 minutes into misting. Not saying that you can't use a regular spray bottle but unless your home all the time and have popeye forearms a automatic system is key for the animals and the owners and I don't like compact florescent uvb bulbs or all fake plants. I would rather buy my stuff separate and ensure everything I get is what I need

the deeper the light goes the lower the intensity and the less UVB will be there.
Recommended distance from lamp to animal usually is around 12" (depending on the type of lamp, read the package).
So the light may spread but it will also not provide sufficient or any uvb to your animal.

I have seen test results and the zoomed compacts dit not come out very well. TL and bulbs are decent.
It's common sense that a compact lamp which has like 4x more body on the sides will provide a larger surface of UVB when placed horizontal.

the deeper the light goes the lower the intensity and the less UVB will be there.
Recommended distance from lamp to animal usually is around 12" (depending on the type of lamp, read the package).
So the light may spread but it will also not provide sufficient or any uvb to your animal.

I have seen test results and the zoomed compacts dit not come out very well. TL and bulbs are decent.
It's common sense that a compact lamp which has like 4x more body on the sides will provide a larger surface of UVB when placed horizontal.
Before I say anything, do you have a Jacksons or Veiled?

I have a 1 year old panther aND at first I didn't know anything about chams. I bought the zoomed kit and now I don't use anything it came with. They quickly grow out of the cage and I upgraded to Arcadia lights, a mistking, real plants and branches, and I also bought one of the big pump up spray bottles. I wouldn't really recommend the kit just because you're most likely going to have to buy all new stuff.

There are no "kits" that are comprehensive, but some of the options on FLchams are a decent start. That being said, if you are the type of person that wants a "plug and play" pet, no living things work that way. Chameleons are especially not suitable for a "kit" approach, but they suffer with an approach that just gets them by and hand misting is just getting by, no ifs, ands, or buts, it's not the ideal.
I'd suggest you look at customer reviews and talk to experienced owners, as no one in the chameleon hobby is avoiding kits because they don't want a cheaper, more convenient approach; they are avoiding kits, because they are not adequate.

I have a 2 veiled, a panther and I'm getting a mellers from Joel. I don't like the kits at all. I piece meal all of my setups. I also have indoor and outdoor setups. I like to use old parrot cages that I wrap in screen as my enclosures. I find them cheap and it gives my chams a huge home. I agree dome lights don't provide enough UVB. Arcadia bulbs are the best, but you should at least have linear bulbs. Hand misting isn't practical either. Some sort of automatic mister is required.

I wanted to say one more thing zoomed is a good brand and they make some good things for chameleons and their keepers but just because it has a picture of a chameleon or says it's for chameleons doesn't mean it is or is necessary. In the end they are a company trying to make a dollar. If I was anyone that read this post and wanted a chameleon I would read up and make a list and get everything you want and need before the chameleon. Automation of the system as much as possible a regular schedule and knowledge of the animal is very vital for the animal. As said before there is a huge difference between thriving and just surviving. Anyone thinking about this adventure of chameleon keeping do research and ask questions everyone here will help and appreciate you going the correct route of being a keeper. Chameleons aren't cheap and can be messed up injured or killed by misinformation and lack of preparation and caring. Just wanted to add this here for people checking out the site because they want in thank you sorry for my rant.

The cham kits are better than the others. The dual dome lights are junk. The eco carpet should not be used. Plus you need alot more vines etc... The cage itself is ok but you can find much better.
The carpet is suckish, and some of the vines are not included. Good point.

I wanted to say one more thing zoomed is a good brand and they make some good things for chameleons and their keepers but just because it has a picture of a chameleon or says it's for chameleons doesn't mean it is or is necessary. In the end they are a company trying to make a dollar. If I was anyone that read this post and wanted a chameleon I would read up and make a list and get everything you want and need before the chameleon. Automation of the system as much as possible a regular schedule and knowledge of the animal is very vital for the animal. As said before there is a huge difference between thriving and just surviving. Anyone thinking about this adventure of chameleon keeping do research and ask questions everyone here will help and appreciate you going the correct route of being a keeper. Chameleons aren't cheap and can be messed up injured or killed by misinformation and lack of preparation and caring. Just wanted to add this here for people checking out the site because they want in thank you sorry for my rant.
Well, most people claim my chameleon has MBD, but he is just small for his age.

There are no "kits" that are comprehensive, but some of the options on FLchams are a decent start. That being said, if you are the type of person that wants a "plug and play" pet, no living things work that way. Chameleons are especially not suitable for a "kit" approach, but they suffer with an approach that just gets them by and hand misting is just getting by, no ifs, ands, or buts, it's not the ideal.
I'd suggest you look at customer reviews and talk to experienced owners, as no one in the chameleon hobby is avoiding kits because they don't want a cheaper, more convenient approach; they are avoiding kits, because they are not adequate.
The kit was a starter kit, but I changed it up.

Back
Top Bottom