Chameleon eats Lizard

Can chameleons eat small lizards?
Yes

How about mices?
Yes, that too.

Are small lizards (and mice too) good for their health?
It depends.

When do i consider it a good idea to feed them such small animals?
When chameleons are sick, malnourished and in need of fattening up.

Are they good in other situations?
I don't know, but i wouldn't risk it since such small animals are unbalanced for the needs of a good and healthy chameleon.

Is it ethically good or bad to feed chameleons such animals?
Ethic is reffering to YOUR OWN opinion of seeing things, along with YOUR OWN priorities. Therefore, i can not talk for everyone.

Do we, humans, have similar behaviors?
Of course: we could easily eat tofu, nuts and vegetable only, and have a healthy life, as much as chameleons could only eat insects and fruits.

What is the difference between our diet and the chameleon's diet?
I don't see any. We eat other animals because we want to. As i said, some people can easily live a healthy life without eating any meat, just like chameleons can. In the end, if we eat other animals, why couldn't chameleons? Therefore, i don't see any problem in having someone feed a chameleon with some small lizards if the chameleon wants to eat it, and if it's done when it won't jeopardize the chameleon's health.

Do you see anything bad in feeding chameleons some lizards?
Yes, at least two things: when people do it for FUN. When they laugh, and enjoy seeing a living animal, as small as it can be, suffer from being eaten. Sadly, some of the Youtube videos are like that, and it saddens me. Of course, some of them have educative reasons, and this is much better! The parasites are also another issue to look for.

Any conclusions?
The bottom line is: it's a personal choice. I believe this behavior can be good and bad at the same time. As good as it can be, it can also be a very bad idea. It all depends on the motive (why) and on the way it is done (how).

Fin.

his comparisons of us to them were actually quite easy to digest imo. Fin.

I am sorry if my post was nonsense... My simple goal was to show that humans determine what they eat as much as chameleon breeders determine what their chameleons eat. Choosing what I eat and choosing what my chameleon eats was pretty similar in my mind. So i believed the comparison was making sense since the topic is mostly about captive chameleons and not wild chameleons. I guess i was wrong. *shrug*

There is always going to be mixed opinions and point of views when it comes to this subject.

In my honest opinion the Cons outweigh the Pro's, with few exceptions, like stated earlier to help out a Chameleon that has given birth. But in terms of the general day to day diet for your chameleon I think it is unnecessary. The anoles nutritional value is the lowest among all the feeders in this link http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=54508 that was posted earlier in the thread. The only thing the anole is superior in, is calcium (which we supplement regardless) and Protein, which brings up the argument of gout. I don't believe gout is a valid argument though, unless anoles are being used very commonly. Not to mention the parasite risk factor.

Now whether or not it is morally acceptable to feed your chameleon an anole is up to the individual, there will always be people that will enjoy watching creatures die at the mercy of another creaute, not everyone owns animals for the same reason most of us on the forums do. Many use terrible practices to make quick money off animals, and others for shear guilty pleasures (the wanting of something but not caring for it, or to watch it kill other creatures)

for those of you who thought this was TL: DR, There aren't enough Pro's for me to want to feed an anole to my chameleon, nor will i get a thrill, or become excited over watching my chameleon eat a lizard, I'd rather witness this in the wild, or footage of it in the wild, where it was never planned to happen.

I don't know if someone has mentioned this yet, but a CHOKING hazard must also be taken into consideration. Even if the lizard is smaller than the distance between the cham's eyes. A lizard is still fairly large prey.

I am sorry if my post was nonsense... My simple goal was to show that humans determine what they eat as much as chameleon breeders determine what their chameleons eat. Choosing what I eat and choosing what my chameleon eats was pretty similar in my mind. So i believed the comparison was making sense since the topic is mostly about captive chameleons and not wild chameleons. I guess i was wrong. *shrug*

Actually it was a good post. I guess I misunderstood or only read "What is the difference between our diet and the chameleon's diet?
I don't see any."Maybe just selective reading:eek: and referring to jrh at the same time. It was late also.

Comparing chams to humans in ways like cutting the bones out of something because we dont eat bones, feeding chams excess amounts because we as humans like to pig out, a 12 year old girl can get pregnant but its not good for her so why would you let a full grown animal under a year breed, etc etc etc. is what I would call nonsense. Human feelings often get in the way of naturalistic behaviours of other animals. Our actions and biology are a lot different than chameleons. This is where I am coming from.

If I had larger species such as melleri, panthers, veileds, oustalets etc. I would feed off as much of a variety as I can to simulate what they get in nature. This would include some lizards and small birds. After all isnt variety on of the keys in chameleon husbandry?

I would also be interested in knowing if the reason these larger species get eye problems and other problems from lack of vit A is because in nature they do get preformed vit A from animal sources and in captivity they do not.

In the wild a chameleon will eat a puppy if it fits in its mouth, in captivity it depends what you, the owner feeds it. I personally am sticking to insects as feeders...

Actually it was a good post. I guess I misunderstood or only read "What is the difference between our diet and the chameleon's diet?
I don't see any."Maybe just selective reading:eek: and referring to jrh at the same time. It was late also.

No problem! :) I know what it is to read and post when it's 2 or 3am! And sometimes we read what we want to read, and not what is really written! It's not like the level of maturity in this thread was very high haha! ;)

Anyway, you are free to have your own opinion as i am free to have mine, and i know you got a good head over your shoulders! So i am really worried about you and your chameleons! ;)

I personally would prefer to keep my lovely little friend. He will not be food!

47463_1554603714635_1521472506_31403523_5459802_n.jpg

I think that video is awful and what kind of person would search around for something like that anyways? I was curious so I clicked on it but quit watching it immediately.It looked like it was going to be a slow painful death for that poor little lizard. I cannot really even watch my cham eat worms. I usually turn away when they start crunching on it! I live in Florida and I love all the little lizards that inhabit my yard and never would dream of feeding one to my chameleon or anything else for that matter.

They are also known as Mediterranean house geckos.

They are Delicious!!! I ate one with tartar sauce for $10 once.;)

When considering the prey items we offer to our captive reptiles... I think it is selfish to rule an item out cause it is something someone may keep as a "pet". One hundred percent of the animals in the pet trade today would face the potential fate of becoming prey in the wild. It is a simple fact of life. We delicate humans love to shelter ourselves of the bloody reality... I think it is one of our less admirable traits. So my thoughts... Our captive chams deserve the same chance at variety in diet as thier wild ancestors and counter parts. Offering a lizard as a feeder every now and then is a great choice in my opinion. Parasites are always something to be precautious of though.

~Joe

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom