Desperate Emergency - Can the Vet do Anything?

rchamb

Just discovered this terrible situation.
We have a feeling there's nothing the vet can do - or can they??
We're really hoping he can pull through this :(
2 year old male cham
Please let us know.

Attachments

• IMG_1996.jpg
    IMG_1996.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 1,737
  • IMG_1995.jpg
    IMG_1995.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 327
I'm no vet, but that looks like rectal prolapse to me (bowel coming out of the rectum). I know you can fix it in humans, but I'm not sure about Chams. Worth a try I think. Until then, keep your humidity crazy high so his bowel doesn't dry out! :confused:

go yo the vet now! u may be able to save his life, Im sorry to say this but there is a pretty good chance he will die. HURRY

Yes, it can be fixed as long as the tissue is viable. It should be done by a vet with reptile experience. It doesn't necessarily need to be experience with chameleons specifically, but reptile experience is a must. In this case the bowel will need to be manually replaced very carefully and probably a suture (stitch) placed either through the side or over the vent to keep it in place for a while until it heals. This will require minor surgery. Some lizards do very well and are fixed the first time, and some have continued problems in the future. It depends on the individual lizard as to how well they will do. Now there is always the risk of it not going well, problems with anesthesia, or damage to the exposed tissue. So it's not a sure thing that it can be fixed, but he should definitely go to a vet for evaluation asap.

The important things right now is to keep it clean and very moist so the tissue does not dry out. I would place him in a temporary cage without branches immediately if he looks like he is dragging it or trying to rub it as you do not want this tissue to get damaged. If the tissue dries out it could die or become infected, which is not fixable and it would mean the end of your chameleon. KY jelly and warm sugar water to keep it moist until you can get it to the vet. If you want to take him to an emergency vet tonight call them first and make sure they are comfortable fixing a rectal prolapse in a chameleon. If they aren't keep it moist overnight and start calling around very first thing in the morning. Time is of the essence here.

Even if it cannot be fixed, or you don't want to put him through surgery for whatever reason, you still need to take him to the vet for humane euthanasia. It would be cruel and very painful to just wait for him to die in this condition. He should be fixed or euthanized.

Edit: It could be a rectal prolapse, or actually the hemipenes prolapsed and just very edematous and swollen. If it's the hemipenes those can be amputated fairly easily with no future adverse effects to your cham. Looking at the picture more it's a little hard to tell. Does it look like there is one tissue blob or two? Same advice still applies regardless.

Last edited:
Thank you

I think both the hemipenis (both sides, just slightly) and the bowel is prolapsed. There are distinct separate parts, but the pictured portion (light and dark red sections) is all one contiguous tract.
The lighter section is quite transparent and is closest to his body. Then further down the prolapse is the darker, opaque section.
We're in Castle Rock, CO - where should we go? It sounds like there's a good reptile vet up in Denver at Alameda East Vet Hospital, but isn't in until tomorrow. Other ideas for tonight, or keep him moist/warm/safe until morning and run out to him?
Thanks again!

Regarding the 3/19 issue

Thanks for including that info. He had improved shortly thereafter, and has been doing fine until now.
Does a prolapsed hemipenis look like this (in extreme cases)? Maybe there's a better chance if that can be amputated. I hope so!

We're on the phone with Alameda East now. No exotic vet on tonight - they're referring us to another vet in Boulder to try calling.

Man...if this happened in like a month you could have come to see me!! I'll be working at an emergency vet hospital in Highlands Ranch, so not very far! Anyway, Alameda East was the vet featured on the Animal Planet show ER Vets if anyone remembers that. Homestead Animal Hospital in Englewood sees exotics. Broadway Estates Vet Clinic in Littleton has an experienced exotics vet - they would be good to go to.

Can't find vet tonight

We're going in to see Fitzgerald at Alameda East first thing in the morning.

Hang in there, Camo! He's moist, warm, and we'll run out the door in the morning. I'll let you know...

Doing okish

He did ok over night he's still moist we are taking him to Alemeada east as soon as the exotic vet gets n at 9:00.

Good news!

We got Camo to Dr. Fitzgerald at Alemeda East, and right away he said, "we can fix him right up. No problem." He said that it is a prolapsed hemipenes. They will shrink it down today and then put it back in and add a stitch to keep it in. We will pick him up at 4:30 and he will be just fine. :):)

Thank you all for all of your help and input. I am really glad we got him to someone who knows just what to do. I wish I could have left our 10 year old to hang out with Dr. Fitzgerald for the day too :), but he is just happy to have Camo in good hands.

Thanks!

That is such wonderful news. A good vet can make such a difference in our chams lives. I am glad you were sent to a vet knowledgeable about chams.

Yay! Glad to hear that!! I'm so glad you were able to find a good reptile vet so quickly! Good job taking him in to get him good care. Let us know how it goes! :)

Back
Top Bottom