Sick veiled chameleon. Help please

Hey! you're doing AMAZINGLY! I did want to point out though, that the fuzzy mossy vine you have there are known for shedding small debris which can get lodged in their eye turrets when they shed - they rub their faces on everything when shedding. I'd replace them with real sticks (get any non-sappy sticks and rinse with soap and water, then let dry in the sun), and these flukers vines work great too!

https://www.amazon.com/Fluker-Labs-...words=fluker+vines&qid=1726102405&sr=8-1&th=1

Hi again. 😛 Just have to bug you about getting him up higher to his lights. In order to gain benefit from the uvb (and heat), he needs to be able to sit and bask around 8-9” below the lights. I know you’re getting there and it is a process, but bug guy needs to be closer to his lights. If you can find a nice long branch, you can just put set it in diagonally and that would be ok for now.

Dang. Ok I'll look into these and grab them on the Amazon! Thank you so much!!

I have a dumb question Mesh or the natrual hammocks? Yeah? Nah? Bubbs is having a little trouble with the current vines.

Hi again. 😛 Just have to bug you about getting him up higher to his lights. In order to gain benefit from the uvb (and heat), he needs to be able to sit and bask around 8-9” below the lights. I know you’re getting there and it is a process, but bug guy needs to be closer to his lights. If you can find a nice long branch, you can just put set it in diagonally and that would be ok for now.
I will def do this!! I saw today that he's having a little trouble getting up the vines while I'm looking for good branches. I was at Michael's the other day and couldn't find a good dowel rod :/

Also, i was just scrolling amazon and saw this and instantly knew I've seen it before.... behold!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240913_003313_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_003313_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240913_003600_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_003600_Google.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 2
Yeah, echoing no hammocks. The fibers can catch their nails and tear them up.

I have all three sizes of the Fluker's vines as well as varying widths of real tree branches. My pothos has created lots of vines and stuff for climbing too! Variety is key. :)
Got ya! Thank you both!! What about ol papaw ramps until he gets a little more steady? I'm just worried he'll fall. He's still looking at me like an idiot when i try to feed him or put nice crickets in his food jar. I have learned to lightly dust them, the first batch came out looking like powdered doughnuts.

Got ya! Thank you both!! What about ol papaw ramps until he gets a little more steady? I'm just worried he'll fall. He's still looking at me like an idiot when i try to feed him or put nice crickets in his food jar. I have learned to lightly dust them, the first batch came out looking like powdered doughnuts.
The way their little feet work, a ramp wouldn't be super conducive to him moving around. Has he been unsteady/falling off what he has now? If not, I'd say get those sticks in there and get him up to the proper distances from his basking/UVB light. That'll really help him get strong. If you're worried about a fall, I think some people have set up essentially nets not too far from the basking area, that way if a fall DOES happen, it's short, and safe.

Has he tried to target/shoot any of his food in the jar? I wonder if the clear glass is confusing him - chams are dumb as a box of rocks but I love them lol. You want to have a container that he can see in from his basking spot, that'll keep the insects inside. I have a metal bird food bowl (I don't feed with crickets... too jumpy/stinky/bitey lol so the food stays in the bowl pretty well) and a lot of people use a "shooting gallery" so the bugs can crawl around and entice the cham without them escaping. https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/shooting-gallery-chameleon-feeder/

But good job on properly putting calcium on the feeders! It takes a minute but you'll find the right balance. Powdered donut is too much, a sort of ghostly white sheer coating is ideal! Keep up the good work.

I’ve risked looking like a weirdo when I’ve gone out branch hunting. One time I found a downed sycamore beside the road and basically stripped all the smaller branches and loaded up my car. Usually I luck out when one of my neighbor’s trim their oak trees and stock up. lol I know they don’t spray anything on their trees and at least once a year they have their giant trees trimmed. You could also call tree trimming companies for branches. Do try to get a wide variety of diameters to keep little mitten feet muscles exercised. Usually we seem to gravitate to thin branches for some reason. I add ones that are double the diameter of a thumb…the fattest ones my cutters can manage. Do avoid dowels and craft branches from Michael’s. Dowels not only can get slippery when wet, but they will also get black mold. The branches from Michael’s have some sort of wood boring insects living in them. Several people have reported that.

Alrighty :) i just want to get some sturdy ones so he doesn't wobble. Some of the trees here are iffy.
If you can find oak trees those branches are great

I gotta go to a park and start branching soon, I’m going to be working on building a new enclosure for my guy when he’s done with quarantine for his own parasite issue which I hope is soon

Back
Top Bottom