do you believe free ranging helps with temperament?

I don't have a huge experience with chameleons, just the one Jackson's that I got last March, but I firmly believe that free ranging is beneficial. I believe it gives them a chance to interact with you on a different level from what they experience inside their cage.

I imagine most animals would feel nervous or trapped if something big invaded a small confined space... like you cornering them in their cage - they don't have any escape option. However, if they have alternate routes and space to at least feel like they have an escape route, it seems like that would lower stress levels overall and maybe lessen how much of a "threat" your chameleon views you as.

For my personal experience, my chameleon loves his free range. He is always happy to use me or my husband as transport around the house. If I'm sitting on the floor when Ferdinand is out, he will almost always come see what I'm doing; I know he is looking for food, but it is still cute. He has a regular circuit he travels, then migrates to the plant with vines we set up for him. If he goes several days without time to free range, he literally pouts. We call this his "grump log" mode. I try to give him as much free range time as I can - safe stimulation and extra exercise are always good things for pets.

yes, it helps very much. we have several chameleons that free range and they get along with each other and are comfortable with people. Ours come down from their free range to climb on us and wander around and are fearless ...

I find it very important. My guys seem much more calm and can interact with people and eachother without being stressed. It also gives them some freedom and lets them roam around and explore, which is enriching and I am sure more enjoyable than sitting in their cage all the time.

I agree with everyone else, I think it makes for a happier, more social chameleon. I only free range one at a time and cover the front of the cage of the other to block the view. I don't want them to stress each other out. My veiled however has decided that his free range time needs to be spent spying on his neighbor. I find him on the panther's cage with his eyes glued to the smallest crack in the cover. We call him The Cage Creeper now. :)

Ditto to above comments. I have noticed a temperment change since my guy has been free ranged on the weekends. Not at all skiddish when I approach him caged anymore and he tries to come out when the door is open instead of hide in the back.

I defiantly believe you have a happier and friendlier chameleon when they are not caged. They can become cage aggressive and depressed being caged. After all that we do to try to mimic their natural environment, those that can and have a safe place to free range should try it. A cage is a very unnatural environment. I know that free ranging is not for everyone. It can be very unsafe when you have other pets and small children in the house but when you do have a chameleon safe free range you and the chameleon benefit from it.

I have a dog that doesnt like small animals (or likes them A LOT I guess...too much liking) so I thought free-range time might be limited to when I was around, but I ended up just hanging a pothos from the ceiling near the window. Its out of the dog's reach, gives me the option of leaving the room or just watching TV and not paying attention, and allows the cham to get some sun too. The only downside is that I have high ceilings, and at 6' I can just barely reach him if he decides to climb up to the wires...generally I have to coax him down with a cricket or two

I am not a proponent of free ranging. It is much easier to obtain the exacting temperatures, humidity and watering in a cage that many species require. Having a ‘chameleons only’ temperature controlled room further helps with this. Many of us don’t view these animals as substitute children wearing colourful outfits and are quite happy to observe their natural behaviours as opposed to behaviours that are imposed on them by human interaction and/or anthropomorphism. Not having to worry whether I will step on a chameleon or a poop when I enter a room is comforting. I don’t have to worry if they are lost in a room or have eaten something they weren’t supposed to. It is easier for my lifestyle to have my chameleons caged and they are comfortable living in them. They are not aggressive or cage brave when I do have to interact with them.

In a larger sense, if one of our pet chameleons escapes the house it probably won’t cause a huge uproar in the neighbourhood but imagine if it was a snake? There are enough restrictions on our hobby as it is so let’s not give impetus to the people who oppose it to shut it down. Controlled and confined is something one has to consider when keeping herps, particularly when living close to other people who might not be so thrilled about scaly things and weird bugs.

That being said I do think that some species and/or individuals may benefit from living in a free range situation; these species being ones that have a greater tolerance for husbandry mistakes like the multi generation captive bred Veileds and Panthers as well as the more social species like Mellers and Oustalets. However there are many, many species that do not fit those parameters and in actuality are quite shy, outside of the fact that they need precise husbandry parameters to thrive in captivity. These species will not do well plopped on a fake tree in someone’s temperature controlled living room and will become unhealthy due to the stress of living so close to conspecifics, other species of chameleons and people. Trioceros cristatus is a prime example of a species that will not free range well.

It is a dangerous assumption and as far as I’m concerned a beginner mistake to say that free ranging will benefit the ‘happiness’ of all species and it should not be recommended in every situation and for every species.

I am not a proponent of free ranging. It is much easier to obtain the exacting temperatures, humidity and watering in a cage that many species require. Having a ‘chameleons only’ temperature controlled room further helps with this. Many of us don’t view these animals as substitute children wearing colourful outfits and are quite happy to observe their natural behaviours as opposed to behaviours that are imposed on them by human interaction and/or anthropomorphism. Not having to worry whether I will step on a chameleon or a poop when I enter a room is comforting. I don’t have to worry if they are lost in a room or have eaten something they weren’t supposed to. It is easier for my lifestyle to have my chameleons caged and they are comfortable living in them. They are not aggressive or cage brave when I do have to interact with them.

In a larger sense, if one of our pet chameleons escapes the house it probably won’t cause a huge uproar in the neighbourhood but imagine if it was a snake? There are enough restrictions on our hobby as it is so let’s not give impetus to the people who oppose it to shut it down. Controlled and confined is something one has to consider when keeping herps, particularly when living close to other people who might not be so thrilled about scaly things and weird bugs.

That being said I do think that some species and/or individuals may benefit from living in a free range situation; these species being ones that have a greater tolerance for husbandry mistakes like the multi generation captive bred Veileds and Panthers as well as the more social species like Mellers and Oustalets. However there are many, many species that do not fit those parameters and in actuality are quite shy, outside of the fact that they need precise husbandry parameters to thrive in captivity. These species will not do well plopped on a fake tree in someone’s temperature controlled living room and will become unhealthy due to the stress of living so close to conspecifics, other species of chameleons and people. Trioceros cristatus is a prime example of a species that will not free range well.

It is a dangerous assumption and as far as I’m concerned a beginner mistake to say that free ranging will benefit the ‘happiness’ of all species and it should not be recommended in every situation and for every species.

I totally agree with Trace that it would be harder for a beginner to free range and that not all species could be free ranged. I live in a warm and humid climate where my guys get outside time at least 340 days a year and since I got my graceful I still run humidifiers in my house over night and anytime they will spend hours indoors. I also have not kept allot of the smaller and rarer species. I can only tell you that my guys love it and that I personally would not want to keep any animal that I had to keep caged, penned or on a chain.

Last edited:

That's a very fair and well crafted response. Thanks for bringing another side to the conversation. I think you're very correct in that it needs to be done carefully with the needs and temperament of the specific chameleon taken into consideration. I will add that I think there is a big different between trying a permanent free-range setup (which I agree would be exceedingly difficult to provide the proper husbandry unless you are will to dedicate an entire room/environment) and allowing an animal out for a few hours of supervised free range time.

That's a very fair and well crafted response. Thanks for bringing another side to the conversation. I think you're very correct in that it needs to be done carefully with the needs and temperament of the specific chameleon taken into consideration. I will add that I think there is a big different between trying a permanent free-range setup (which I agree would be exceedingly difficult to provide the proper husbandry unless you are will to dedicate an entire room/environment) and allowing an animal out for a few hours of supervised free range time.

Agreed. I personally would not attempt a permanent free range due to difficulty with maintaining the proper environment. My boys get out for a few hours in the afternoon a few days a week. When they are outside getting sunshine they are also in cages for safety reasons. And it's very true that free range time is not for all species. My experience is only with jacksons, panthers and bearded dragons.

Agreed. I’m not going to begrudge someone from taking their pets out for some free range time. I’ve had some ridiculously friendly chameleons in my time so I get it. As long as the chameleon isn’t suffering and they like it then by all means have them out from time to time. I also want to say I’ve visited Jann and her free ranges are exceptional and I don’t think I have met a keeper that is more dedicated and devoted to her animals than herself. Despite our differences in approach to keeping, I respect what she does because she enjoys it. Would I want to emulate what she does? No.

It’s the anthropomorphising and blanket statements that I think we need to watch, particularly when it comes to people entering the hobby that are reading threads like this.

and allowing an animal out for a few hours of supervised free range time.

Unfortunately it has lead to alcoholism in certain individual specimens. :p :D

Cheers,
Trace

I have two males (ambilobe & Nosy Be) that are free-ranged 24/7. They each have an artificial ficus. They're set up directly next to each other with maybe 6" in between the two trees. I've never had a problem with aggression. Although they move from tree to tree, they usually sleep on the same tree, and have established their own territory. They also very rarely come off of their tree. I find that they're both very friendly towards people and I have no problems handling them. I have my lights hung above the ficus from the ceiling, and a MistKing pointed at the ficus area.

I used to cage my chameleons (veiled & jackson), but these panthers are the most friendly I've ever had, simply because they look at us as a normal part of their environment. When they're caged, we're this big hand coming into their space and territory, uninvited.

I think the major difference is whether you view these animals as sensitive, wild animals meant solely for observation with a desire to maintain their natural behaviors, or whether you consider them to be a pet and part of your home/family. Caged chameleons are separated from the humans and live in a completely separate environment. Free-ranged chameleons are living in the same environment as the humans, where both species are sharing one space and have to mesh their requirements together to find a platform that is comfortable and suitable for both.

Reptiles could go either way. For example, a lot of bearded dragon owners consider their beardies to be part of the family, and handle them frequently. Things like Day Geckos are not, and are always caged and meant as something to just look at. A chameleon sits right in the middle of the range, so you could tip the scale either way.

Different species and how captivated they've become over the years affects human attitude towards their care. You wouldn't buy a dog for the purpose of just looking at him, and keep him caged in his crate all day long. A horse could be kept in a stall all its life, but they prefer to be let out to run. Macaws are birds, which were originally meant to be kept in cages, but those kept in cages all the time tend to become aggressive and dangerous, as they thrive off of human interaction. Dart frogs

Others who make a living off of breeding animals consider their animals to be just that - work animals. For example, some people use cows for milk, whereas others have them as pets. The attitudes towards them are completely different. I'm not trying to imply that work animals are taken care of any less. In fact, work animals are often cared for under higher standards because their owners' livelihood is affected by their health/quality. However, there's far less emotional attachment to each, individual animal. The loss of an animal suggests more of a loss of profit, rather than a family member.

Some of you may know that I've done a mix of both, free-ranging and caging, and am currently free-ranging my Meller's. But I've blogged about it a few times and have been really honest about how it has a few benefits and a lot of downsides, in my opinion. Yes, in my experience free-ranging has definitely helped calm down even my most aggressive chameleons along with appropriate conditioning, but it's also a huge hassle to set up a proper FR, maintain it, and make sure the animal(s) on it remain safe and healthy. It takes a lot of space and effort to make a worth-while permanent FR, making a cham-safe room, and managing things like water and temperatures. Just a single fake plant standing in a corner is not going to cut it, in my opinion.

If I had a choice I would use only very large caging and skip FRing altogether. The chameleons definitely respond very well to a larger amount of space and are able to move about more actively and freely in a large, wide area and definitely exhibit more natural behavior than in a tall, narrow cage. BUT... they would be safely locked into a cage, unable to get down, unable to get into potential trouble, and it would be much easier for me to manage misting water and humidity. I think a very large cage offers them the same benefits of FRing with the added benefits of being more efficient for me to maintain their ideal environment.

I would like nothing better than to build the Meller's a huge, walk-in cage (or put them in a screened-in Florida lanai, for example) and know that, while they have all the space they could want, they can't get themselves into trouble, I can manage their environmental conditions better, and that I can release enrichment food items into their cage and have the chameleons hunt them down like nature intended, and not just hand/cup feed every day.

I have my free ranging done in an empty room in the house - one which used to be a guest room. There's nothing but a bed, dresser, and nightstand in there. The room is about 30' x 25'. I have half a dozen 6' artificial ficus. Each ficus covers a surface area of about 2.5' x 2.5'. I have the trees set up on a piece of carpeting with a piece of acrylic on top. I built a 2" lip to the entire perimeter of the acrylic, so it's a shallow box. This is because I have a MistKing & ExoTerra's Monsoon set up and I don't need a flooded floor. I also have two humidifiers going in the room (in ever room, actually). I have central heat/air, but I keep the vents in that room closed. Hanging above the trees are my lights. Directly behind the trees is a window with a mesh screen and a curtain with curtain rod. They could easily climb up the curtain or screen to get up to hang out on the curtain rod. The first two days of being in this set-up for the first times in their lives, they "explored" and would walk around the room on the floor, climbing stuff, etc. But, once they got a lay of the land, they now NEVER come off of the trees. They'll walk across from tree to tree, but never anywhere else - not even on the curtain/screen window/curtain rod.

I think ones that's always been caged initially get a bit excited about the open freedom and feel the need to check it out. Once they've looked at everything, they just hang out in their favorite spot. It's similar to if we were to buy a new house. We initially explore the house, check out every room and nook and cranny. But, once we're settled in, we always hang out in the kitchen or couch in front of the TV.

I'm given the luxury of having an entire room available for them. I know some people use an extra bathroom for them. But, I agree, I don't see how one could set it up in the corner of a room, unless you're able to handle the heat and humidity of the tropics, and not care about destroying your floors or walls (water damage).

I've done it on a permanent basis with melleri and they really did well, but they had their own room with a barricaded doorway. It was a great project, a lot of fun, the chams were so approachable, their behaviors were a pleasure to watch, and I'd never keep this species any other way. I wasn't tempted to try it with the hyper active fischeri and verrucosus I had who would have been all over the house getting into trouble constantly. Shyer chams probably would have spent their whole time hiding or simply more stressed from visual exposure to human activity. My old male veiled would have been fine on a tree.

As others have said...it depends on the cham, the space you have available, the climatic conditions you need to create, other pets or hazards (kids leaving doors or windows open), and what you hope to gain from sharing your life with chams.

Just putting a big fake Ficus in the corner of the room won't work! Needs a lot more thought than that!

Some people don't want to turn their house space over to a loose reptile, escaped feeders, or have the mechanics of their setup take over a room. I'm the type who lets a Swainson's toucan or a pair of blue crowned motmots free fly indoors every day. Not too many others could tolerate that type of damage!

If you are seriously trying to breed you may be better off providing a lot more seclusion by carefully designed caging. If you live in Phoenix your house climate may not work for a high humidity cool montane species like deremensis.

I wouldn't be able to free range chams in my current house...its small, our climate is just too cool year round, and I usually have other pets to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom