Feeder Run Recommendation

Delef3

Hello everyone!
I am in desperate need of a feeder run recommendation. I cup feed my chameleon his dubies, and worms, but use a feeder run for crickets (obviously), and would like to when he is taking bigger dubies. I had purchased one from a known and respected company and was really excited to use their product, as it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, from the first day I received it, it would not stay adhered to the PVC wall of my DS enclosure. I reached out to the seller, and they graciously offered to send me replacement mounting. They actually sent me two replacements which was unnecessary, but most appreciated. Unfortunately, not only has that feeder not stayed adhered to the wall, it has fallen twice with the replacement (i used both replacements and strictly followed all instructions each time I replaced the mechanism), and this last time it damaged the floor of my enclosure, which I am very frustrated about.

I love supporting small businesses, and would continue to support this company as well (I am not naming them because I dont want this to be taken as a negative post). Their product, in general, is well made, and I gladly paid the relatively high price. The mounting mechanism, in my experience, although a well thought out idea, fails to do the job. I am looking for recommendations of products that have worked well in DS enlcosures, and have stood the test of time. I am looking for something available now, that I can order today. I have made my own in teh past, and would rather not go that route right now. Any help is greatl;y appreciated!

If you have dragon ledges in your dragonstrand enclosure, you can secure the normal PVC feeder runs to the ledges by drilling a hole through the feeder run and then using thick jewelry wire to run through the hole and around the ledge. I got mine from full-throttle feeders. You will need a drill for this method to work.

Where I got my feeder run.
https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/feedercups

This will work the same if you have a feeder run from sunset chameleons.

I tried multiple feeder runs. The square ones on the screen, my DIY Solo cup with mesh up the side and the sunset chameleon log lunch. The DIY Solo cup contained the crickets 100% but it wasn’t pretty. I have the Sunset Chams log lunch in both my enclosures now. Unfortunately it does not hold the crickets and we can figure out why. I have crickets everywhere. But they look nice and my chams do like them lol

Attachments

• IMG_5828.jpeg
    IMG_5828.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5826.jpeg
    IMG_5826.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5673.jpeg
    IMG_5673.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 21
I like this for the bottom tray and there is a saucer that is installed on the top to stop the bugs from leaving. The draw back is the vertical screen is metal. I no longer use it because I'm afraid my Cham will strike it hard and hurt his tongue. I would avoid this one. I'm actually removing the metal mesh because I like the bottom portion to manage worms and roaches. I free range crickets and grasshoppers because they are ultimately gonna migrate to the heat lamp.
Screenshot_20240624_095241_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I tried multiple feeder runs. The square ones on the screen, my DIY Solo cup with mesh up the side and the sunset chameleon log lunch. The DIY Solo cup contained the crickets 100% but it wasn’t pretty. I have the Sunset Chams log lunch in both my enclosures now. Unfortunately it does not hold the crickets and we can figure out why. I have crickets everywhere. But they look nice and my chams do like them lol
Sometimes the calcium dust that we use to powder the crickets can come off when dumping in the crickets. This creates a thin layer of dust over time that crickets can climb on and eventually get out. You could try rinsing out the feeder run and see if that helps.

Crickets usually don't jump when unprovoked. So I doubt they are jumping out on their own.

Looking at the photos you sent, the culprit might just be your chameleon :) If he is climbing through the feeder run, crickets might be hitching a ride as he strolls on by. Perhaps try adding more branches around the feeder cup to give him more shooting options.

A bit off-topic, I see that your cage is screen on all sides. Are you measuring your humidity levels? If your humidity is a little low, you can try wrapping the sides and back of the cage with a shower curtain, corrugated plastic, or polywall.

Sometimes the calcium dust that we use to powder the crickets can come off when dumping in the crickets. This creates a thin layer of dust over time that crickets can climb on and eventually get out. You could try rinsing out the feeder run and see if that helps.

Crickets usually don't jump when unprovoked. So I doubt they are jumping out on their own.

Looking at the photos you sent, the culprit might just be your chameleon :) If he is climbing through the feeder run, crickets might be hitching a ride as he strolls on by. Perhaps try adding more branches around the feeder cup to give him more shooting options.

A bit off-topic, I see that your cage is screen on all sides. Are you measuring your humidity levels? If your humidity is a little low, you can try wrapping the sides and back of the cage with a shower curtain, corrugated plastic, or polywall.
Hi the feeder is new and this has been happening from the start. This was the first time he did this. It actually happens in both of my cages with both feeders 🤷‍♀️

The corrugated is there to block the view of the other cage. The back of both cages have Window shrink film. Humidity during the day is never higher than 47%. As I type this the humidity on my 3 Govee’s is at 44.9% at the top :)

Hello everyone!
I am in desperate need of a feeder run recommendation. I cup feed my chameleon his dubies, and worms, but use a feeder run for crickets (obviously), and would like to when he is taking bigger dubies. I had purchased one from a known and respected company and was really excited to use their product, as it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, from the first day I received it, it would not stay adhered to the PVC wall of my DS enclosure. I reached out to the seller, and they graciously offered to send me replacement mounting. They actually sent me two replacements which was unnecessary, but most appreciated. Unfortunately, not only has that feeder not stayed adhered to the wall, it has fallen twice with the replacement (i used both replacements and strictly followed all instructions each time I replaced the mechanism), and this last time it damaged the floor of my enclosure, which I am very frustrated about.

I love supporting small businesses, and would continue to support this company as well (I am not naming them because I dont want this to be taken as a negative post). Their product, in general, is well made, and I gladly paid the relatively high price. The mounting mechanism, in my experience, although a well thought out idea, fails to do the job. I am looking for recommendations of products that have worked well in DS enlcosures, and have stood the test of time. I am looking for something available now, that I can order today. I have made my own in teh past, and would rather not go that route right now. Any help is greatl;y appreciated!
Hey hun what type did you get? I got the full throttle feeder. Magnet plate to the wall but I had to use all the magnets to get it to hold the feeder to the wall.

I have the same feeder. The adhesive on the disk that sticks to the wall eventually gave way in all three I tried. Yes, I cleaned the surface etc. no misting was hitting it either.
I had the magnet issue as well, but I was able to position it such so it would stay. For now, I drilled a hole and attached with a small carabiner and a zip tie.

I have the same feeder. The adhesive on the disk that sticks to the wall eventually gave way in all three I tried. Yes, I cleaned the surface etc. no misting was hitting it either.
I had the magnet issue as well, but I was able to position it such so it would stay. For now, I drilled a hole and attached with a small carabiner and a zip tie.
Interesting. Maybe mine has not failed because I do not leave the feeder in 24/7. I only put it in on feeding days then remove it.

The magnet held up fine. It’s the adhesive on the back of the disk that failed on each one. It literally just fell off, along with the whole feeder.

The magnet held up fine. It’s the adhesive on the back of the disk that failed on each one. It literally just fell off, along with the whole feeder.
Yeah that is why I am wondering if my taking the feeder off unless it is being used for the maybe 5 minutes twice a week when Beman eats is why mine is still on lol. Literally I could take a putty knife to this thing to try to get mine off. That sucks though as they should work and stay. Sorry you had that experience. :(

IMG_5874.jpeg
Apparently this is a thing now and not a fluke lol… still have crickets all over in both cages and only my ever curious veiled chameleon Hunter climbs inside lol. Now I’m starting to find them in the house… I think they are climbing under the reptibreeze drip tray and getting out somehow 🤬

Very respectable not throwing the feeder company under the bus . I have a lot of respect for that. I had some problems with my log on since I have so much humidity going on my habitats I was able to mount the new hook design to my branch holder , and I haven’t had to look back. I would definitely look into something like Dragon strand ledges there are much stronger mounting solution 😊

Attachments

• IMG_2006.jpeg
    IMG_2006.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom