Frank's Thread

very inspirational - I love the living with reptiles in a pleasantly aesthetic way that is also the right environment for them - love your home and your animals, all beautiful!!!

:D Classy reptile home. I love how everything is built into the wall. Thanks for sharing your little piece of heaven with us.

I got a chance to meet Kevin (Dooley1) and see his awesome collection yesterday. Came home with these two beauties.

I was hoping the new female campani would take a liking to my male but she is definitely not in the mood right now. Although he certainly looked interested. Hopefully they'll be on the same page in the near future.

Thanks Kevin for having us over! I'm glad I got more involved in the forums. I've already met two great chameleon people in my area.

Panther babies

Hey Frankpayne32- I have been trying to reply to your thread regarding the baby panther you sold for $75. I am interested in buying your oh her two that you are selling when they are ready

Oh wow - what a gorgeous setup. Thank you for sharing all of your photos.

I also *need* an in wall tank after seeing yours. I will now start batting my lashes and gently nudging the person that could make that happen.

Thanks Kevin for having us over! I'm glad I got more involved in the forums. I've already met two great chameleon people in my area.[/QUOTE]

Frank-they look like they are in great hands :) It was wonderful meeting you and Elise! Now you just need some female carpets, and eventually quads for Elise-haha.

:D Classy reptile home. I love how everything is built into the wall. Thanks for sharing your little piece of heaven with us.

Really awesome room you have there!!! Love the cocktail table! Very clever!!!

Thank you! Happy to share.

Hey Frankpayne32- I have been trying to reply to your thread regarding the baby panther you sold for $75. I am interested in buying your oh her two that you are selling when they are ready

I sent you a PM.

Oh wow - what a gorgeous setup. Thank you for sharing all of your photos.

I also *need* an in wall tank after seeing yours. I will now start batting my lashes and gently nudging the person that could make that happen.

Thanks ! In wall tanks are pretty awesome but definitely more of a PITA to take care of. Totally worth it though.

Thanks Kevin for having us over! I'm glad I got more involved in the forums. I've already met two great chameleon people in my area.

Frank-they look like they are in great hands :) It was wonderful meeting you and Elise! Now you just need some female carpets, and eventually quads for Elise-haha.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah she's getting as in to it as I am. I will hopefully get a female carpet within the next couple months.

Yesterday was a very exciting day for me. This WC pair of campani successfully mated! I had assumed that the female was gravid already due to her beautiful colors and not being receptive towards the male. It seems she just was not receptive at that time. Also, it turns out her colors weren't really gravid colors as they are SO much brighter now!

I couldn't believe how fast the mating occurred. After placing the female in the male's enclosure he immediately turned black and started nodding his head vigorously. She puffed up at first but as soon as he approached she deflated and assumed mild colors. It took him less than a minute after seeing her to begin copulation! I thought panthers were aggressive breeders... They remained in copulation for seven and a half minutes. Afterwards the male resumed his normal brown coloration and walked away to bask. The female showed no signs of aggression towards the male but she was VERY brightly colored. I returned her to her cage.

I am going to try introducing a different female to the male this weekend so hopefully I'll have more good news soon. Now on to the pictures!

Video of the beginning of the mating.
http://s572.photobucket.com/user/frankpayne32/media/IMG_3184_zps54e7b63f.mp4.html

Copulation

The female's colors after mating (completely non-edited taken with an iPhone)

With the unseasonably warm weather all of the lizards got a few hours turn in the sun this past weekend for the first time in many months. Here's the male lateralis after soaking up the rays.

New and improved feeding cups

Just set up my new feeding cups. Allows for drainage, a small portion to leave a gutload, and suction cups to adhere to the sides of the enclosures. Works great so far. :)

Took some photos last night with my new phone.

Female Furcifer campani. She has become increasingly shy as her lay date approaches. She should lay any day now. :)

Male Furcifer lateralis in relaxation mode.

A couple of my Abronia graminea group

Male Lygodactylus williamsi

Baby Acanthosaura capra starting to show some green.

Furcifer campani egg laying :)

After 66 days of gestation my one female campani has laid eggs. :) Unfortunately the first two eggs were laid in the cage scattered on the soil of the enclosure while I was away for the weekend. (All of my chameleons are kept in fully planted enclosures with soil. She could have dug if she chose.) These two eggs were not fertile however and molded over quickly. I placed her in a laying tub that would make monitoring her easier. After two days she laid three more eggs, also on the surface of the soil. Luckily, these appear to be fertile and have not molded over after almost a week and maintain shape. They do have a yellowish tint to them but that is apparently normal for campani eggs. Even more lucky, I was observing her when she laid the one egg and was able to watch and document.

The female looked pretty rough the first few days after laying, I wasn't sure if she would make it, but she seems to be recovering and is now eating, drinking, and looking more like her beautiful normal self. I am pretty sure this was her first clutch as she came in quite young and small so I am hopeful that her next clutch will be a bit larger and that she will bury her eggs instead of scatter them. She will of course be given ample time to recover after the ordeal but I don't want to wait too long as they are probably not a very long lived species, although who knows.

In terms of incubation I am going to go based off the recommendations I have read online from European breeders. The eggs will be kept in the mid to high seventies (Farenheit) for three months, then diapaused in the low sixties for six weeks, then brought back up to the mid seventies for the remainder of the incubation (three months). With any luck the eggs should be ready to hatch by the end of January. That is a long ways off so I'm not counting my chameleons before they hatch but I am hopeful. Hopefully I will be able to get at least one more clutch from this girl and can get the other female to take to my male before she gets too old. Thanks for looking and I'll keep updating. :)

Back
Top Bottom