help male acting strange only wants to climb down

thank you all soo much there will deffinatlly be a change in a lot of things :) leaving for the store as we speak any last things is should add to the list ?

calcium no d3

tube style 10.0 uvb bulb and hood for it.

and the food.

auto misters you can get online (do not get a monsoon, they break all the time)

To the OP:

Your cham has MBd. its not the worst this forum has seen.

He needs better supplementing,better uvb lighting, and more water.

You should invest in an auto mister, such as mist king or aquazamp.

if you get this all under control now, you can prevent the further development of the disease.

YA THINK!!!! :eek:

My suggestion would be not go spend a bunch of money on crap and take him to a liscened vet. And get advise from them

You might also want to pad the floor of the cage for a while. As he falls he can hurt his bones making it worse.

I highly doubt camimom is qualified to diagnose mbd from looking at 3 pictures so that should tell you there about the other advise shes giving

My suggestion would be not go spend a bunch of money on crap and take him to a liscened vet. And get advise from them

The suggestions that were made are not crap

these are things the cham needs to get through it.

and while a vet is always a good thing to see, it is not dire that a vet get involved this second.

the cham is not so sick that proper care cant fix it.

I highly doubt camimom is qualified to diagnose mbd from looking at 3 pictures so that should tell you there about the other advise shes giving

I have seen enough MBd chams on this forum to be able to look at the pics and see the bowing in the arms.

However, there are TWO vets on this forum, and when/if they post, i feel confident they will say the same thing.

so instead of bad mouthing other members, be supportive to the OP, or dont comment.

And frankly, we all join this forum to learn more information, just because i may not be a vet, doesn't mean I dont know what Im talking about.

I have seen enough MBd chams on this forum to be able to look at the pics and see the bowing in the arms.

However, there are TWO vets on this forum, and when/if they post, i feel confident they will say the same thing.

so instead of bad mouthing other members, be supportive to the OP, or dont comment.

And frankly, we all join this forum to learn more information, just because i may not be a vet, doesn't mean I dont know what Im talking about.

Cinamom I said it right off the back and you did exactly to me what you are saying. And got rude with the where on earth.... I think other people saw that too. Just from the first pick alone MBD pops in the head right away and you acted like I was cray for saying it. At least you have come back down to earth with us.

Cinamom I said it right off the back and you did exactly to me what you are saying. And got rude with the where on earth.... I think other people saw that too. Just from the first pick alone MBD pops in the head right away and you acted like I was cray for saying it. At least you have come back down to earth with us.

that wasnt the intention with you, i just didnt understand what you meant by the covering the face thing. the what on earth comment was more baffled, not like wtf... i hope that makes sense.

I didnt mean to say you were wrong about the MBD, anyone who has seen it over and over can tell what it is,

Yes, it's MBD but I think you are a little remiss in not recommending seeing a vet. They can give calcium injections and provide other treatment options that will help this animal heal faster. Also, there may be other problems happening with this animal that is not apparent to you.

Not to be rude, but I highly doubt you've gotten to know camimom to make such a judgement. Camimom has been on this forum for a good while and is very experienced in keeping chams and is more than qualified to say if a Cham has mbd or not.

To the op, I hope you manage to get what you need at the store and your boy begins to improve.

Kath.

Was there a vet that this cham was seeing on a regular basis? It's always good to have a rapport with a knowledgeable reptile one, just in case there's an emergency. They're more likely to take you if you're already a client.

Also, getting x-rays done at the vet on an annual basis will tell you if your cham is showing signs of MBD. Bloodwork tests for organ function and fecal exams for parasites. As I've found out, vet visits are not to be reserved for when your cham is sick, but to catch any problems at the earliest stages. Often times, by the time you see symptoms, it's already pretty far into it.

Im not trying to be mean i just dont think advising someone to spend thousands on a bunch of stuff for a cham that might not be here in a month and giving false hope to someone that if they do get all that and it might have nothing to with it

Im not trying to be mean i just dont think advising someone to spend thousands on a bunch of stuff for a cham that might not be here in a month and giving false hope to someone that if they do get all that and it might have nothing to with it

The OP won't have to spend thousands on this cham at all! Camimom was giving the same good advice any of our experienced members would give. This forum has seen hundreds of MBD cases over the years and this one isn't unusual. It is a very common problem perpetuated by poor pet shop information and poor nutritional products on the market. False hope? I don't think so at all. MBD is treatable, even if not reversible. We could clearly see from the husbandry information the OP provided that he can give this cham a much better life from now on.

If you bother to look at the sticky thread about MBD and look through the pictures you can see how easily a diagnosis can be made from a simple pic. The description of this cham's behavior backs it up.

i already know he doesn't look healthy this why im on this site..... im am doing everything in my power to help him as soon as my fiancé gets home i will be making a trip to the pets store.. he is not dehydrated because he drinks all the time and still has been...but what can i do to keep him safe from falling and slipping in the mean time

One little comment about preventing low level chronic dehydration. If your cham drinks all the time he's thirsty all the time. A well established cham in the correct conditions doesn't drink all that much every day. Chams are not very efficient at conserving body moisture (evolving in humid environments meant they didn't have to be) especially if the room the cage is in tends to be dry. And, right now in our cold winter we are heating our homes more. This does tend to dry out the air. How do you check the cham cage humidity level? From your pics of his cage setup, use of fake plants, and your cham's pics I also think he's borderline dehydrated. His casque should be fuller than it is. The cage is probably drier for much of the day than you realize. Check your humidity gauge and where it's placed. If you are using a simple analog type from a pet shop be aware they are not very reliable and can get "stuck" on one reading. You can test it by putting it near your shower while in use. It should register a high level and then drop lower as the room dries.

Just something to keep in mind and check up on.

Last edited:

Most vets have no clue about cham care and nutritional problems. Many times a keeper who takes a cham to a vet ends up getting poor advice, searches online for more information, finds this forum, and we get to see the results. An experienced cham vet will recommend basically the same things we do, and much of the same "crap". If the OP is lucky enough to have a vet who is very herp savvy great! Its just not the norm.

i already know he doesn't look healthy this why im on this site..... im am doing everything in my power to help him as soon as my fiancé gets home i will be making a trip to the pets store.. he is not dehydrated because he drinks all the time and still has been...but what can i do to keep him safe from falling and slipping in the mean time

To keep him from slipping and falling you can add to the network of perches and places for him to rest. More branches will help him break a fall too. Use a variety of branch diameters so he can exercise his feet and relax his toes on smaller sized ones if he chooses to. As he gets better his coordination and muscle strength will improve a lot.

Where there's life there's hope! So are you saying let this Cham carry on as is and it be gone in a month?
Wonder if you'd feel same if that was a person? Let's not bother improving their life, cos they might not be here next month :confused:

This Chams issues are resolvable.

Kath.

As a thought, you might want to get liquid calcium, but please be cautious about it's use. I know I use it on my gravid females and rapidly growing youngsters. It will not fix the problem if your cham needs a vet, however it is useful for animals who have higher calcium.
Sharl

I agree, the only thing vets are good for, especially compared to this forum, is that they have access to medical technology and Rx. If the common man could run bloodworm/labs and radiology, and prescribe any meds, there'd be no need for vets.

Back
Top Bottom