HornwormS

I just started feeding mine with medium size hornworms. They don't seem big, but here's a pic. He absolutely loved them!
image.jpeg

Hornworms are an awesome feeder choice. The pros are that they are great for nourishment and hydration. The biggest con is that they grow at lightning speeds. So, if you are trying to feed a small chameleon hornworms of appropriate size, you really have a small window to work with.

Silkworms are a better alternative for smaller chameleons as they stay a smaller size for a much longer time. If you blink long enough, the hornworms are the size of your finger.

Hornworms are an awesome feeder choice. The pros are that they are great for nourishment and hydration. The biggest con is that they grow at lightning speeds. So, if you are trying to feed a small chameleon hornworms of appropriate size, you really have a small window to work with.

Silkworms are a better alternative for smaller chameleons as they stay a smaller size for a much longer time. If you blink long enough, the hornworms are the size of your finger.
That's something I didn't know. How many can I feed him on a daily basis?

As much as he will eat. I have a 4yr old veiled. He loves them so much he won't eat anything else. I get mine from Great Lakes Hornworms as I have found they deliver them very quickly and are very good about answering any questions. I give them to mine by dropping the really big ones in the cage (one a day when they are really big) and let him entertain himself by hunting it.

This one is already that big , this is much to big for Francis . I have a bearded dragon that will be very happy to munch on this big boy though .

image.jpg
This is how big this one is . I just got one from out local supply store . I get as many as I want . Wanted to try them first before I got a lot .
image.jpg
And that Francis , with her cricket . She's not happy that I'm taking a picture

I started with the small but they grow very fast. You can slow down their growth keeping them in the refrigerator. Make sure air can get into the vented bottom. Put them in a day and then take them out a day .Do this until all are gone

I started with the small but they grow very fast. You can slow down their growth keeping them in the refrigerator. Make sure air can get into the vented bottom. Put them in a day and then take them out a day .Do this until all are gone

You may also try just keeping them in a cooler with ice packs on opposite side. Sometimes the fridge can be too much and kill them off.

We have a fridge for our baby's food so that's all good thank you chameleomom. We just bought a few prob more expensive but it's local and we get there often . I just don't want my girl to choke . Our baby bearded dragon is same age but much much bigger he can handle that big boy !!.

Decadancin , your baby looks to be around size of Francis , There was no choking ?

No, but I was a little concerned. It took him a little while to swallow. I didn't try that again until he was a bit older.

Yeah I get that , Francis loves Swiss chard , and Dandyline greens , really any greens , those are newer ones we have tried . I have to really give her small pieces . Once she tried to eat a 1/2 of a Leaf . I was so nervous that she was going to choke I pulled it outa her mouth . She got so pissed with me . So now I give it to her in little pieces .

Back
Top Bottom