If there were new CITES species quotas?

This is extremely exciting. Thanks Jeremy for the thread and posting this information.

Wowwwww!!!! Twenty years since this stuff could be legally imported!! Looks like crypticum is going to have a quota, too! WOW! About friggin' time!

Great news! Thanks for posting Jeremy!

Carl

Looks great,i don't know what the species with a + means,i will ask Olaf.

Thanks it is has been long over due for new official Madagascar quotas to be made. The 1995 CITES ban at that time was necessary. However I am too looking forward keeping and working with many/all of these species. This time around these quotas should work out for the best.

Cheers
Jeremy A. Rich

Wow, very interesting. I'm surprised to say the least, but I guess that's what happens after listening to almost 20 years worth of rumors about Madagascar finally opening up. Hopefully with conservative quotas like this we won't run in to an issue again about concern over the export levels being detrimental to the wild populations. Fingers crossed!

Chris

With an official system and not black market imports if one of these species is not tolerant of being collected from the wild. CITES can make a zero quota for that species in a relative short period of time and take that species off of the export quota list. This preventing over collecting and conserving and safe guarding populations in the wild.

I am interested with CITES justification of the species being worthy of being an export species. Did these species have actual studies done that shows they could handle collecting pressures as (Chris Anderson stated past references) about Furcifer campani or were they added to the list just because they were listed by the IUCN Red LIst as a non threatened species that has much conserved habitat in Madagascar. If the latter I think a study of collecting pressures on wild populations should accompany the IUCN listings to further justify the species worthiness of being a species candidate for export.

Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Wowwwww!!!! Twenty years since this stuff could be legally imported!! Looks like crypticum is going to have a quota, too! WOW! About friggin' time!

Great news! Thanks for posting Jeremy!

Carl

Looks great,i don't know what the species with a + means,i will ask Olaf.

Woohoo! I couldn't even make it through the list before drooling all over my phone... :D

Wow, very interesting. I'm surprised to say the least, but I guess that's what happens after listening to almost 20 years worth of rumors about Madagascar finally opening up. Hopefully with conservative quotas like this we won't run in to an issue again about concern over the export levels being detrimental to the wild populations. Fingers crossed!

Chris

Wow. Guess I have to start saving money and buy a bigger house:)

WWWOOOWWW!!! After twenty years of nothing WWOWWWW!!! It is great to have the opportunity to keep all these Madagascar species! This is an interesting time.:D:D:D:D:D

images

Last edited:
Closing On My House Next Week. My House With 1500 Square Feet Of Not-yet-Finished Basement... Been About 3 YeArs Since I've Had Even A Single UselessReptile... I Can'tWait!

The new quotas are official. There are going to be new Brookesia, Calumma and Fucifer species this year. Here are what the new quotas are going to be as posted by CITES.

For Calumma

Calumma boettgeri 500
Calumma brevicorne 500
Calumma gastrotaenia 500
Calumma guillaumeti 500
Calumma malthe 500
Calumma marojezense 300
Calumma nasutum 1000
Calumma oshaughnessyi 250
Calumma parsonii 300

For Furcifer

Furcifer antimena 150
Furcifer bifidus 500
Furcifer petteri 100
Furcifer willsii 500

This was posted on the CITES page meaning these quotas are legitimate. Furcifer rhinoceratus was left off the CITES list and was on the list that was provided from Canada Chameleons. As well I was surprised that there was such a high quotas for rare chameleon Furcifer bifidus. Calumma crypticum has got a prep next to its listing meaning I think preparations may still be being made for this species to make the list. This has the prospects to be great news if this helps Madagascar conservation and world awareness. Plus these quotas are conservative quotas which is a big step up from the importation practices from before the ban of 1995.

Here's a link
http://www.cites.org/sites/default/files/ExportQuotas2014.pdf

Cheers and Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Except of some smaller species the bigger once are not easy to keep and breeding them is very hard specially wc these are not pardalis(keep this in mind)

Except of some smaller species the bigger once are not easy to keep and breeding them is very hard specially wc these are not pardalis(keep this in mind)

These are not pardalis needs to be repeated over and over again!
Some of these species will be very difficult to work with. Lets hope that a majority end up in the hands of people capable of keeping them.

Carl

The new quotas are official. There are going to be new Brookesia, Calumma and Fucifer species this year. Here are what the new quotas are going to be as posted by CITES.

For Calumma

Calumma boettgeri 500
Calumma brevicorne 500
Calumma gastrotaenia 500
Calumma guillaumeti 500
Calumma malthe 500
Calumma marojezense 300
Calumma nasutum 1000
Calumma oshaughnessyi 250
Calumma parsonii 300

For Furcifer

Furcifer antimena 150
Furcifer bifidus 500
Furcifer petteri 100
Furcifer willsii 500

This was posted on the CITES page meaning these quotas are legitimate. Furcifer rhinoceratus was left off the CITES list and was on the list that was provided from Canada Chameleons. As well I was surprised that there was such a high quotas for rare chameleon Furcifer bifidus. Calumma crypticum has got a prep next to its listing meaning I think preparations may still be being made for this species to make the list. This has the prospects to be great news if this helps Madagascar conservation and world awareness. Plus these quotas are conservative quotas which is a big step up from the importation practices from before the ban of 1995.

Here's a link
http://www.cites.org/sites/default/files/ExportQuotas2014.pdf

Cheers and Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

From the above list i worked with all the species except C guillaumeti and C marojezense,i bred most of them but not all.
If i list them from easy to keep breed to very difficult i would say:
Bouttgeri and nasutum are the easiest to keep and breed(if you start with healthy animals)they lay clutches several times a year,incubation is short and care for the baby's not very difficult.
Species i would list as medium difficult are brevicorne,malthe,willsii and petteri they are not very hard to keep(if you are a very experienced cham keeper)and breed but incubation is very hard they all have 1 or 2 diapauses and results are very rare.
Most difficult to breed i would say osaugnessyi,bifidus and antimana if i quote breeding parsonii as a 7 on 10 these go for 10/10 the chance you breed these successfully over several generations will be 1 on 1000000000000.
But i guess you will find out very soon where i'm talking about;)

Just hatched Calumma Malthe

Jurgen

I am acquainted with the fact that most of these chameleon species are considered as some of the most difficult species to breed. I am ready for that challenge. Most all of the Calumma species before 1995 in the USA had not been captive bred with the exception of Calumma parsonii, nasutum, and that is about all.

Thanks Jurgen
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I can't believe they even have a small quota for brookesia minima, how would someone even kind those in a viv!

Here's a list to complete the list of new Brookesia quotas.

Brookesia betschi 300
Brookesia brygooi 500
Brookesia ebenaui 150
Brookesia griveaudi 150
Brookesia minima 150
Brookesia nasus 150
Brookesia peyrierasi 150

For a grand total with Calumma and Furcifer species of 22 new chameleon species.

Back
Top Bottom