I'm new!!!

Ste

Just bought my Chameleons today, hopefully it's a male and female but they are a bit little to tell yet lol

226733_10150193584442698_731912697_6797216_7142262_n.jpg

Here they are.... Ying and Yang :D

Regards

Steve

Hi Welcome to the forums Steve. How old are they? Also they should not be housed together :) I have a million ?’s, but I won’t badger to much :) Cuties you have there!

They are about 6 weeks old and the person I bought them off has a reptile shop and owns many many different reptiles. He said Yemen Chameleons can live together!!

They are about 6 weeks old and the person I bought them off has a reptile shop and owns many many different reptiles. He said Yemen Chameleons can live together!!

Truly the only chams that can live together are Pygmy’s! You should work on getting another cage.. what source of lighting are u using, and humidity/temp gauges? Also what are you gutloading your feeders with?

I have a exo terra compact top for my tank, with two uv bulbs and the tank is around 75f

Whats gutloading?

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. That is a cute pair you have. At only 6 weeks they can stay together about another month. After that they will need their own space. Miss Lily (tiff) lives in England, on the Isle of Wight. I sent her a pm for some guidance specific to your part of the world.
We can give you lots of guidance from here but she will know what to get and where to get it.

Aww they are very cute! Pet store owners never know what they're talking about and always give bad advice so don't feel bad. They're little enough now to give you a little time to get ready for when they'll need their own space. Definitely do a search on gutloading as it imperative to keeping your chameleons healthy! Here's a link to get you started but feel free to ask questions. :)

Hi Steve and welcome! First - they will need separate cages, and they do not need any light or heating at night either. Also the compact top is (I believe) the one that houses the spiral/compact bulbs. You need to exchange that for the dual top version that houses linear uv bulbs. Compact bulbs have been known to cause eye problems in chameleons. We see all too often on here that, sadly, pet shops can, and do, give out mis-information where chameleons are concerned.

Thanks for the info... I didn't buy them from any old pet shop though, the guy who owns it has the shop as an extension of his collection. He has many animals including venomous snakes, sugar gliders, ring tailed lemeurs, spiders etc etc

yes you can turn off your lights. you usually only give them 12 hours of light so I would turn them on at 0700 to 1900. I like to try and match it to my outside light with a timer.

The lights also act as the heat source, so how cold can the chameleons stand through the night? The temp at the moment is about 70f

uhh... i know veiled are fine with them off... yemens idk... get a night time bulb if its cold where you live. my veield is just fine here in chicago.

Thanks for the info... I didn't buy them from any old pet shop though, the guy who owns it has the shop as an extension of his collection. He has many animals including venomous snakes, sugar gliders, ring tailed lemeurs, spiders etc etc

He probably meant 'for now'... It does amaze me though how many pet shops know so little about Chameleons. :(

Welcome! :D Sorry to say but they will not be able to be kept in the same tank for much longer. You will eventually need 2 24x24x48 cages which is the minimum size for Veilds. Females can do with a smaller size but why not give them as much as males? :) Depending on where you live of course depends on the type of cage you can use.

The shop owner might have lots of other exotic animals and might know everything about them but when it comes down to it, these are Chameleons and not snakes or sugar gliders. You came to right place to get you on the right path. Again, welcome! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom