Is my Cham sick?? His poop isn’t normal anymore :(((

McBoredFace

I’m not sure what’s wrong. The only thing I can tell is he’s not drinking enough water. Other than that is anything else wrong? And are these worms?

715578A1-0257-4DE8-B3E3-26E52BFC860F.jpeg

The pictures are kinda dark... I tried my best. But basically it shows a lot of the bug parts in his poop. But I keep seeing those little work looking things. They aren’t moving but still. I’m worried he’s got worms or he’s sick. I’m having trouble getting him to drink water. He’ll only drink if I squirt the water on his mouth until his lip opens and he’ll drink a little bit :/ I’m really worried.

Your Cham is defanitly sick, he needs a vet. After you make the appointment you can fill out the how to ask for help form, link is in my signature. Paste your answers back here with pics of your Cham and viv.

Your Cham is defanitly sick, he needs a vet. After you make the appointment you can fill out the how to ask for help form, link is in my signature. Paste your answers back here with pics of your Cham and viv.

Can you told whats wrong with the poop and what problem can be linked too? (curious about this)

Humm, feed the help form, we can help you with basical husbandry correction and point out some problems/solution but we can't replace a vet visit! ;) :

on the poop check i think you are dusting too much, he might need higher basking spot, maybe stressed (dont know how reliable is this) and i dont think he got worms (probably crickets eggs) but the only way to know is with a fecal test)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon: Jackson’s about a year.

Handling:I handle him pretty often. Every day. He loves to come out and chill on me for long periods of time. But I make sure he’s got his alone time too.

Feeding: 5-7 crickets a day and every few days meal worms

Supplements: repti calcium without d3

Watering: a monsoon mister 12 times a day for as long as possible which is 120 seconds plus I spray with a spray bottle. The tap water in my city will make a person sick so he basically drinks what ever bottled water I drink which is usually Dasani or Fiji water

Fecal: you saw pictures of his poop :/

History: was really normal and healthy surprisingly since I got him from petco.

Cage: screen cage. About 20 by 20 and height 40? About...

Lighting: 60w blue daylight bulb and a repti sun uvb

Temp: between 72 and 82 F

Humidity: between 50 and 70 percent

Plants: fake except one big pothos in the ceter on the floor of his cage to help with humidity and I thought he would also drink off of it since I’ve always had trouble with him drinking on his own. First I would have to spray the leaf myself while he drank from it. Now I have to squirt his mouth until he slightly opens the side of his mouth and sips the water. And thats way less rare than when I gave him water from the leaf. He just hasn’t been thirsty:((

Placement. Well ventilated area top floor of my apartment with a beautiful sun roof above him.

Also I read this normal with Jackson’s but it’s still odd that he’s always got his mouth open...? I just hope that’s his Jackson thing and not him being sick. I was worried he was getting mouth rot cause his teeth are yellow but his gums are pink.
And he had a weird pigment thing I posted about a few weeks ago but that was dismissed and me just overly worrying since they’re so delicate.

Vet is closed today but tomorrow I’m making an appointment for as soon as possible, I just hope it’s a good vet. I’ve never been to a vet before for any animal really. My old dog and cat only went once for their first visit and stuff and it was my mom who took them. This will be my first time for an exotic pet and I heard it’s hard to find a good one for a chameleon so I’m a little nervous. But if Philadelphia has great human hospitals then I’m hoping it’s the same with their animal hospitals

I also dusk every couple days so that’s not the problem. I read about parasites and I’m worried he’s got that. It says salmonella makes their poop slime and poorly digested. And also dehydrated and that’s like all his symptoms:/ idk. I hate that it’s Sunday so I can’t call until tomorrow to make an appointment:(((

I’m going to start by saying for some reason I automatically assumed veiled and I have no experience with Jacksons. Having said that I probably have no business commenting on this case, but against my better judgement I will anyway!

There is not one specific thing about his poop that is throwing up a red flag, it’s a combination of his behavior and small things about his poop. We can start with his behavior, mostly becoming more difficult to get him to drink over a period of time. That’s a sign of a Cham going down hill... His poop has what appears to me to be a very small amount of urates but they are not orange. Next is the volume of clear stuff in his poo. To me that’s a sign that his body is trying to purge something. The indigestion bug parts are slightly worrisome but not unheard of. I don’t think those are worms you are looking at in his poop, they would be way too small to see.

All these things combined are what make me think he needs a vet but again I have no experience with Jackson’s so I think you should still see the advice of an experienced Jackson’s owner...

Oh I also wanted to add I also take him outside and walk around so he gets natural sunlight. I do this about every other day
Open mouth is not normal, any sign of mucous? Any picture of him, how old is your uvb bulb and do you have a picture of your uvb bulb and picture of the enclosure?

The bulb is 4 months old, and mucus? He has clear saliva? But no mucus. Yeah I’ll take a picture of the enclosure. I posted one before and I was told it was fine all I had to do was replace the towel around it with a shower curtain which I did a while ago but took down after I put a pothos plant in there and everyone said it was fine. So I don’t know what’s wrong :/ but here’s a picture also I thought the open mouth was bad too but a lot of Jackson’s owners say a lot of Jackson’s do it and no one knows why. So I dismissed that being a problem too. This really sucks. I’m thinking maybe a cricket he ate was sick or something and got him sick?

Back
Top Bottom