Is my Cham sick?? His poop isn’t normal anymore :(((

What is wrong with cricket crack? It is one of the better gut loads out there for bugs
In my early days of Cham keeping I was told that there was no commercially available gutload that could meet your chams nutritional needs. But after doing some research I think I’m going to retract my previous post. I might even try it myself!

@Brodybreaux25 there are several good readily available dry gutloads that aren't quite commercial(at least, wouldn't see them at petstore). Bug buffet, Arcadia insect fuel, and cricket crack come immediately to mind and I use all 3 on rotation. Cricket crack is good, but is also loaded with protein(at least by looks of the ingredients) I have used it without issue, but feeding roaches consistently high protein sources can lead to a uric acid build up. Just something to think about, though I'd still recommend buying it!

@Brodybreaux25 there are several good readily available dry gutloads that aren't quite commercial(at least, wouldn't see them at petstore). Bug buffet, Arcadia insect fuel, and cricket crack come immediately to mind and I use all 3 on rotation. Cricket crack is good, but is also loaded with protein(at least by looks of the ingredients) I have used it without issue, but feeding roaches consistently high protein sources can lead to a uric acid build up. Just something to think about, though I'd still recommend buying it!
Just bought a pound from Amazon!

Thank you! Me to :/ and as for the mist king, I already have a monsoon. Is there a difference?

Mist King timer is way more customizable. Monsoon can only spray up to 60 seconds at a time I believe. Mist King systems are also extremely reliable. Pump can be run dry without seizing, nozzles spray extremely fine mist with good coverage, and can rig multiple enclosures to one pump.

With your jacksons, the mist king would be best. You wont need to mist 12 times per day. You could set up 4-5 long 5+ minute misting sessions.

Ah I see. Okay cause yeah I have to do it 12 times a day and the highest is 120 seconds :/ so basically to keep up with it I’m misting myself with a spray bottle... man does my hand get tired!

Btw I got my cricket crack, new thermometer, timer, calcium with d3, and basking bulb today! But how do I tell if the light is too hot? I put my hand under it and it’s not like ow to where I can’t keep my hand under it but it is pretty hot. Is that okay or too hot?

Well duh but did you see what I said right after about it kinda feeling like it stung a bit but not enough to where I had to immediately move my hand? That’s okay? Damn how are these creatures so fragile to some things and so resilient to others?! Lol
What amazing creatures. Well I got most of my stuff! Just picked up some crickets this morning, gave a few hours to gut load with fruits and veggies I bought yesterday on the care sheet and I just dusted them with the new vitamins I got and set up the new lights. Still worried about him not drinking but I’m misting him manually for ten mins morning and night and a few times for not as long throughout the day. Next is to take him to the vet and see what they say. I’ll keep you all updated!
Here’s a picture of his enclosure with the new lights. I think Durnehviir likes them a lot too. It’s hard to explain but I feel like I can tell he’s happier with them. Don’t think I’m crazy please >_<

image.jpg

Well duh but did you see what I said right after about it kinda feeling like it stung a bit but not enough to where I had to immediately move my hand? That’s okay? Damn how are these creatures so fragile to some things and so resilient to others?! Lol
What amazing creatures. Well I got most of my stuff! Just picked up some crickets this morning, gave a few hours to gut load with fruits and veggies I bought yesterday on the care sheet and I just dusted them with the new vitamins I got and set up the new lights. Still worried about him not drinking but I’m misting him manually for ten mins morning and night and a few times for not as long throughout the day. Next is to take him to the vet and see what they say. I’ll keep you all updated!
Here’s a picture of his enclosure with the new lights. I think Durnehviir likes them a lot too. It’s hard to explain but I feel like I can tell he’s happier with them. Don’t think I’m crazy please >_<
I was being sarcastic! No that is not OK. But you really need to take a measurement. What does the thermometer say?

Lol I figured, but guess what?? That bulb already blew out! I’m requesting a new one and if that blows out too I’ll get a refund. But he has his old one back and the temp was fine with that one. It was mostly the uvb that needed updating I believe.

By the way we’re at the Vet now. They just took him upstairs to check on him and his fecal sample. So fingers crossed that it’s an easy fix.

But now I’m really nervous. My bf told me they’re probably going to take blood and stuff and I’m wondering how they do that when he’s so tiny! My poor little baby :( I wish I could be there to hold his little hand

Lol I figured, but guess what?? That bulb already blew out! I’m requesting a new one and if that blows out too I’ll get a refund. But he has his old one back and the temp was fine with that one. It was mostly the uvb that needed updating I believe.

By the way we’re at the Vet now. They just took him upstairs to check on him and his fecal sample. So fingers crossed that it’s an easy fix.

But now I’m really nervous. My bf told me they’re probably going to take blood and stuff and I’m wondering how they do that when he’s so tiny! My poor little baby :( I wish I could be there to hold his little hand

When you say it blew out do you mean it exploded? Because when I first got my cham I was hand misting and got a bit of water on the bulb and the combination of cold droplets on a really hot bulb made it explode all of a sudden. Thankfully the lamp was leaning down against the mesh so all (or most) of the glass was contained inside the dome. If not it could have potentially been pretty bad.

It didn’t explode but it did stop working and had a small crack in it. So that’s probably what happened...

But the doctor just let me know what’s going on and is sending me home with lots of information on what to do. But basically he needs way more humidity and no more crickets or mealworms. I need a different multivitamin then the one I got and basically everything I bought recently was wrong lol
But they’re giving him fluids to hydrate him and stuff. I’ll take a picture of his discharge papers to give more details on what I need to do cause there was so much I can’t remember it all. She was even saying I should put some plexiglass around the sides of his cage to trap the heat and humidity. It’s going to be a lot more money and work. But it’ll be done. It just sucks cause I wish I knew all of this before I just bought all that stuff last week... hopefully amazon will let me return it.

It didn’t explode but it did stop working and had a small crack in it. So that’s probably what happened...

But the doctor just let me know what’s going on and is sending me home with lots of information on what to do. But basically he needs way more humidity and no more crickets or mealworms. I need a different multivitamin then the one I got and basically everything I bought recently was wrong lol
But they’re giving him fluids to hydrate him and stuff. I’ll take a picture of his discharge papers to give more details on what I need to do cause there was so much I can’t remember it all. She was even saying I should put some plexiglass around the sides of his cage to trap the heat and humidity. It’s going to be a lot more money and work. But it’ll be done. It just sucks cause I wish I knew all of this before I just bought all that stuff last week... hopefully amazon will let me return it.

Yeah mealworms are not really suggested as they may cause impaction. When I first got my chameleon I bought a bunch of mealworms and was told to get rid of them asap. I was told superworms are a lot better. I buy those now and my chameleon loves them. I was gonna suggest live plants for humidity retention but I see you already have some in there. If the plexiglass thing seems a little too complicated, some people use shower curtains for the same purpose.

Yeah I’m getting a shower curtain. And nope no super worms either for him. He can’t have anything while sick with a hard shell. But the main reason I didn’t become a vet was because I could never give an animal shots... and now I have to give Durnehviir a shot in his tiny little arm every 3 days ten times! :( this sucks so much. But they’re emailing me his discharge forms that tell me every thing I need to change with his husbandry as well as the medication and what he needs to eat and stuff. Then we have to come back in about a week or two.
I can’t believe I have to give him shots :( At least my bf is gonna help. I’m gonna hold him steady and Chris is gonna give him the shot.

Yeah I’m getting a shower curtain. And nope no super worms either for him. He can’t have anything while sick with a hard shell. But the main reason I didn’t become a vet was because I could never give an animal shots... and now I have to give Durnehviir a shot in his tiny little arm every 3 days ten times! :( this sucks so much. But they’re emailing me his discharge forms that tell me every thing I need to change with his husbandry as well as the medication and what he needs to eat and stuff. Then we have to come back in about a week or two.
I can’t believe I have to give him shots :( At least my bf is gonna help. I’m gonna hold him steady and Chris is gonna give him the shot.

I'm sorry to hear that :( Just remember that it's in his best interest! Wishing you and your baby the best of luck :love:

Back
Top Bottom