Jake the iguana turns 20 this year!

Sepioteuthis

Our iguana, Jake, is turning 20 this year!
My husband got Jake in 1991 through the local Humane Society. Jake (and his 'brother' Elwood) had been rescued from a burning apartment.
Jake was in pretty bad shape and very mean at first. But after years of 'training' my husband managed to get Jake fairly house trained. You still can't pick him up without getting hit by his tail, but he doesn't bite, he uses his litterbox and he doesn't try to eat the cat (anymore).

Jake is a free range iguana with his 'own' room. He has to share it with a few caged herps (2 beardies, 3 chameleons, 3 dart frogs), but he doesn't care about those. As long as we leave him alone most of the time, he's happy.

Anyway, here are some pictures of Jake:

Jake on Jim's lap
IMG_1903.jpg

Jake outside (ofr about 15 minutes, until he started to do alligator death rolls to get out of the leach.
jakeoutside.jpg

Jake telling the iguana in the mirror who's boss. Eventhough he couldn't see the mirror from his room he would come out to 'yell' at it every day (we removed after a week or so).
IMG_1879.jpg

Hello,

Jake looks great!! I can't beleive you've had him 20yrs. that's awesome. He is very lucky to have you 2.

Dell

Hello,

Jake looks great!! I can't beleive you've had him 20yrs. that's awesome. He is very lucky to have you 2.

Dell

Thanks Dell!

He sure is something special. Dr. Crum (from SEAVS) actually took pictures of Jake to show vet students and iguana owners what an adult male iguana should look like. My husband was just glowing with pride. Lol.

Suzanne

Awesome looking iguana!

I had one that big temporarily...but I don't know how old he was. He was puppy-dog tame though...hand raised by someone who had to give him up due to circumstances. The person who took him couldn't get him to eat and the iguana was getting thin...so I took him to see if I could figure out what the problem was. I finally had to "force feed" him (just make him open his mouth). The minute the first piece of food hit his mouth, he ate the whole plate...as long as I fed it to him! We later found out that he had been hand fed and wouldn't eat any other way! Problem solved....he fattened up again and went back to the other person!

Good to see such a good looking iggie!

WOW he is awesome!!!! I am dying laughing at the "doesn't try to eat the cat" (anymore) remark hahahahaha that was great:D Happy Birthday this year;)

Thanks!

Jake actually did try to eat the cat at one point.
When we first got our cat, Tesla, he thought that Jake was the coolest thing in the world. He would watch jake for hours and even sleep on Jake's shelves. This was slowly driving Jake crazy.
Jake tried to make Tesla understand by trying to hit him with his tail and headbobbing at him, but ofcourse that just made Jake more entertaining to Tesla.
One day we came home and Jake had a big gash on top of his head. It wasn't bleeding since it was right on his fat pads, but of course we could him to the vet right away.

When we got back from the vet, Jake set out on a search and destroy mission against the cat. Since we were in the middle of moving we didn't have a good way of isolated them from eachother, while still giving both of them enough space.
Jake would follow Tesla around relentlessly and tried to bite him. Telsa was of course a lot faster than Jake, but also more easily distracted, and one day Jake's determination paid off.
He bit Telsa right on the tip of the tail.
Tesla jumped in the air and Jake was left with a big tuft of fur in his mouth and the most truimphant look on his face.

We moved shortly after that and once in the new house Jake forgot about his mission and Tesla seemed to have learned his lesson to not mess with the iguana.

And they lived happily ever after :)

Happy birthday Jake. Wow he is gorgeous!
You have 10 baby mellers? Could you post some baby pictures? I'd love to see them!

Thanks!

Jake actually did try to eat the cat at one point.
When we first got our cat, Tesla, he thought that Jake was the coolest thing in the world. He would watch jake for hours and even sleep on Jake's shelves. This was slowly driving Jake crazy.
Jake tried to make Tesla understand by trying to hit him with his tail and headbobbing at him, but ofcourse that just made Jake more entertaining to Tesla.
One day we came home and Jake had a big gash on top of his head. It wasn't bleeding since it was right on his fat pads, but of course we could him to the vet right away.

When we got back from the vet, Jake set out on a search and destroy mission against the cat. Since we were in the middle of moving we didn't have a good way of isolated them from eachother, while still giving both of them enough space.
Jake would follow Tesla around relentlessly and tried to bite him. Telsa was of course a lot faster than Jake, but also more easily distracted, and one day Jake's determination paid off.
He bit Telsa right on the tip of the tail.
Tesla jumped in the air and Jake was left with a big tuft of fur in his mouth and the most truimphant look on his face.

We moved shortly after that and once in the new house Jake forgot about his mission and Tesla seemed to have learned his lesson to not mess with the iguana.

And they lived happily ever after :)

I am sure it wasn't funny at the time but OMG that is hilarrious hahaha! Poor Kitty:( at least he is safe now:) you should have renamed jake Ralf remember that ailen show Ralf where he was always trying to eat the cat hahaha!!

20 years that great I lost my 2 iguanas Spike (she was the female) and (kitty named after the iguana on hermans head the tv show) after 13 years. that was at least 5 years ago and wanted another ever since.

maybe its time :)

just need to distract the wife at this weekends reptile show(lol)hmmm

Please excuse the ignorance but I've always wondered if the large circular spot on the side of his head is one large scale or just a set of colored scale. He's a beauty for sure.

20 years that great I lost my 2 iguanas Spike (she was the female) and (kitty named after the iguana on hermans head the tv show) after 13 years. that was at least 5 years ago and wanted another ever since.
maybe its time :)
just need to distract the wife at this weekends reptile show(lol)hmmm

Have you considered adopting one from a reptile rescue? They often have more iguanas then they can handle.

Please excuse the ignorance but I've always wondered if the large circular spot on the side of his head is one large scale or just a set of colored scale. He's a beauty for sure.

Yup, it's one big scale.

Wow I forgot they lived so long :) He's a big boy and he looks spoiled, congrats on having him for so long.

Back
Top Bottom