MBD, please help!!!!!!

image.jpeg
When I first got my chameleon from Petco, he did have on body part swollen I didn't notice, but now, I can see he has MBD!!! Please help!! Most Needed anwser: How many times do you give calcium to your chameleon?

You need to bring him to a vet and get a professional's opinion. They can set you up with an administration schedule that will help if he does indeed have MBD. Please for the sake of your chameleon, don't try and do it on your own. If MBD is the case, you alone cannot reverse it, you need veterinary assistance.

Ok, so here's the deal. I think it's awesome that you are getting into reptiles at such a young age, good for you! But you need to do what needs to be done for him too. First things first.....He needs to see a vet, now. You have had this guy for almost a year. MBD does not happen over night and having him as long as you have means it was most likely not the pet store and has something to do with your care....supplements and lighting. You need to fill out the how to ask for help form that others have asked you to fill out and let us help you get things right so the he has the best chance and getting through this.

I work with youth, being young means nothing if you're responsible, you just need to do what needs to be done and let us guide you.

Just copy and paste this into a reply and fill it out....easy peasy

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Male, Veiled Chameleon, 1 year and 5 months. He has been with me one year.
  • Once a week.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Mostly Mealworms and gut-loaded crickets occasionally. 4-5 mealworms or 5 crickets. No gut-loaded mealworms and I feed the crickets Fluckers Orange Cubes. I feed him in the morning once a day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Zoo Med's Reptivite with D3 twice a month and Aqua Culture Calcium with D3 2 times a week.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I mist in the morning at 6:30, 3:00 PM and 8:30 PM. He also drinks out a bowl. I mist 30 secs each time. Very rarely I see him while he is drinking. He likes to drink when nobody is looking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Normal droppings. Not tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • A year old, bought from petco.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • I don't dimensions yet. I use a screen cage.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Reptisun 5.0 UVB and at night National Geographic Heat Infrared Bulb.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • 76.3 - mid way 75.2 and floor 75.0. I measure it with a Zoo Med thermometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Don't have a way to measure but I mist 3 times a day and he has standing water.
  • No live plants, only plastic plants.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Near a window. He is far from the floor of my house.
  • Georgia

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. MBD concern

I think he might have MBD. I am taking him to the Vet tomorrow. I don't think I have been giving him calcium consistently.

It seems you're using way to much Calcium with D3, you should dust your crickets with Calcium (without D3) every other feeding, use Calcium with D3 once a month, get some min/vitamins and use that 2 a month.As far as the mealworms I wouldn't feed them to him as the primary food source, they're fatty and not very nutrion al if you're not gutloading your feeders...But you cham needs to go to the vet ASAP if you want it to live. I would get rid of the night light a get a regular incandescent buld. Hope all works out for you and him but he must go to a vet!

Calcium without d3 every feeding
Since you are using reptivite with d3 you only need to use that 2 times a month with no calcium with d3. Please take him to the vet

Chameleon Info:
  • Male, Veiled Chameleon, 1 year and 5 months. He has been with me one year.
  • Once a week.
  • Mostly Mealworms and gut-loaded crickets occasionally. 4-5 mealworms or 5 crickets. No gut-loaded mealworms and I feed the crickets Fluckers Orange Cubes. I feed him in the morning once a day.
  • Zoo Med's Reptivite with D3 twice a month and Aqua Culture Calcium with D3 2 times a week.
  • I mist in the morning at 6:30, 3:00 PM and 8:30 PM. He also drinks out a bowl. I mist 30 secs each time. Very rarely I see him while he is drinking. He likes to drink when nobody is looking.
  • Normal droppings. Not tested for parasites.
  • A year old, bought from petco.
Cage Info:
  • I don't dimensions yet. I use a screen cage.
  • Reptisun 5.0 UVB and at night National Geographic Heat Infrared Bulb.
  • 76.3 - mid way 75.2 and floor 75.0. I measure it with a Zoo Med thermometer.
  • Don't have a way to measure but I mist 3 times a day and he has standing water.
  • No live plants, only plastic plants.
  • Near a window. He is far from the floor of my house.
  • Georgia
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. MBD concern

I think he might have MBD. I am taking him to the Vet tomorrow. I don't think I have been giving him calcium consistently.

The others are stearing you right. I'm just going to try and make this as clear as possible for you....

1. Supplements.....Calcium with D3 2x a month, Calcium with NO D3 at every feeding, a multivitamin 2x a month.

2. Lighting.....He does not need a heat light at night. Chams need the dark to sleep and a drop in temps to regulate their metabolism. Use a regular house bulb during the day to give him a basking spot. He needs this to help digest his food and warm up in the mornings. a light at night will only disrupt his sleep and cause other health issues. Also, your UVB bulb needs to be changed out for a new one every 6 months or else there is not enough UVB left in the bulb for it to do any good.

3. Feeding.....as others said. Meal worms should be used as a treat. They are not a good staple because the exoskeleton is hard for him to digest. Crickets are good but they need to be gut loaded with more than the orange cubes. Kale, mustard greens, collard greens, apples and such. You can also offer him fruit and veggies to eat himself.

4. Watering...he doesn't look dehydrated to me but you could up your watering of at least one of your times to 4 minutes. A longer misting session encourages them to drink. I wouldn't have a water dish. they drink from the droplets on the leaves and a dish will just breed bacteria. Keep an eye on his poo. If the white part is orange then you need to adjust how much you are misting. Orange means dehydrated.

You could easily add a pathos plant, live plants help with humidity. I would get something to measure humidity so that you know what it is.

Here is a link to the Veild Caresheet...read over it and learn as much as you can....
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

You got this, Buddy. You can do it, it's great that your taking him to the vet. Keep me posted and let us know how it went. Did you find one that knows Chameleons? A vet that doesn't isn't much good. Above all, get the calcium with NO D3 and make sure your UVB light is good. IF you make all these changes now, there is no reason he can't get through this. We are rooting for you all the way!!!

It is a good idea to bring a copy of the veiled chameleon caresheets with you. If your vet has dealt with them before, it may not be needed, but if not it can help. Has your vet had much experience with reptiles?
Honestly, I don't know yet but I will bring one just in case.

Did you get xrays, that Veiled looks like it has MBD, the rubbery jaw, the legs, the kinked spine...Could just be me but you might want to get a second opinion, just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom