My baby veiled chameleon fell bout 8 inches yesterday, I'm worried!!

How is he doing? Have you seen the vet or can you post any pics of him and his mouth?

he saw the only local reptile vet and he's just fine. she said there wasnt any bubbly mucus by the time she saw him. she kept him overnight to make sure he was eating and drinking. she said he's just fine and that he's healthy and beautiful. so we brought him home last night and he's doing good today, eating his crickets and drinking the way he should be!! they said they couldnt see anything wrong so i was being an overprotective cham mom but its better to do that then to not see the signs of him getting sick!! :)

Sometimes the mouth can get a little bubbly if they drink too much water. He may have also stopped moving because he was unsure of the perch being put in and needed to get used to it. I would keep an eye on him and check him mouth for a while just in case. If he also keeps closing his eyes or he closes them for longer periods of time I would keep trying to mist him so he can clean his eye out or use a sterile, plain saline solution to rinse his eye out. If you decide to get the saline, make sure there isn't anything else in it and gently squirt a stream of the water into his eye turret. Usually you will see the turret lift a little because of the water inside of it. He will probably not like it and then rub his eyes against your hand or a branch when he is put back in.

As for the supplements, it shouldn't have caused any issues since he didn't get them for very long. With that particular brand of supplements, I would recommend using the calcium with no D3 at almost every feeding, the calcium with D3 2-4 times a month, and the multivitamin once or twice a month. Because the amount of D3 in that brand isn't very high compared to some other brands, you can use it more often than some.

okay thanks for the great advice!
ive been looking for calcium without D3 in it but im unable to find it locally. i wont be able to go to the city to look there for another week, i dont want to not give him any calcium during that time. should i use the calcium with d3 a couple times in the meantime? i know how important it is for him to have calcium for his bones for his growing.

okay thanks for the great advice!
ive been looking for calcium without D3 in it but im unable to find it locally. i wont be able to go to the city to look there for another week, i dont want to not give him any calcium during that time. should i use the calcium with d3 a couple times in the meantime? i know how important it is for him to have calcium for his bones for his growing.

Best thing in this situation would be to order it online, get it in a couple of days. Make sure your gutload is high in calcium - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html.
It would be ok to lightly dust once or twice with the D3 stuff, but it is possible to overdose on D3 for chams so it's all a balancing act really. Having the calcium is more important than not, so whatever you reckon seems best.

Are you hand misting then? If he doesn't like it and you are using one of those 'trigger' sprayers maybe try one like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LFTYV0/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550948629&ref=asc_df_B000LFTYV0 A constant fine spray of luke-warm water and they usually seem to enjoy it now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
okay ill look for it online.
i'm hand misting him bout 5 or 6 times a day. he doesnt like it when he gets misted directly but he always laps up the water that collects on his leaves.
today we fed him the largest cricket hes had so far and i think part of it may be stuck in his throat he kept opening his mouth up wide and looking like he's dry heaving. he did it quite a few times but hasnt done it in the last several minutes. it looked to me like he was heaving to get it out of his throat and his color darkened and he did that probably 15 times and after each time he would swallow afterwards. he hasnt done it in the last several minutes so i think he may have got it unstuck and swallowed it. any thoughts on that? ive read that sometimes they will get part of a cricket stuck in their throat then cough it up and swallow it again..

Sounds like the cricket was a little too big for him but he got it down. There was apparently some discomfort so keep them smaller for a while yet :) The general rule of thumb is the insect should be no longer than the space between his eyes. For worms you can use the length of his head, soft-bodied worms like silkworms can be a little bigger.

The widest part of the bug (from side to side, not head to butt) should be smaller than the space between his eyes and no longer (head to butt) than twice the length of his head to prevent choking. As for the calcium, a few days without wont hurt, as long as you get it within a few days. If it takes longer than 4-5 days I would use the calcium with d3 once or twice.

it definally was it was about twice the size of the space between the eyes. hes eaten another cricket since and drank water, do you think he'll be fine? i havent seen him heave for quite awhile now, he's sleeping now so i think he got it down okay. it really irrates me that the petstore gave us mainly large crickets when they sold us Pablo, they should have known that the large ones would be too big for him. im so glad i became a part of this forum, everybody's advice has really helped me out. i cant believe i fed my little guy a cricket that was way too big for him..

The widest part of the bug (from side to side, not head to butt) should be smaller than the space between his eyes and no longer (head to butt) than twice the length of his head to prevent choking. As for the calcium, a few days without wont hurt, as long as you get it within a few days. If it takes longer than 4-5 days I would use the calcium with d3 once or twice.

okay the cricket i gave him was definally wider then the space between his eyes.. and it was about 2 times the length of his head.. he appears to have gotten it down after he heaved some of it up, he hasnt been heaving for awhile now and hes gone to sleep, his bed time was 45 minutes ago. thanks for the info i will watch out for the size really close from now on.

Pet stores often seem to overestimate feeder sizes, I think he'll be fine. He might be less enthusiastic to go for the bigger ones in future though. A troublesome stick insect put my boy off them for ages, but he's quite fussy anyway......:)

i think he'll be okay too he appeared to have gotten it done again. ill watch out for the size from now on, sticking to the littler crickets for now. yes they seem to do that alot, they told me that i could feed a full grown mouse to my 8 month old ball python and i think thats wayyy too big, ive been feeding her half grown mice. thanks for all the info, its helped out sooo much!! its great to talk to people who actually have chams and have experience in some of the things that they go thru. :) ill keep my eye on him and make sure he isnt still heaving tomorrow, doubt he will be but ill watch just in case! he ate a small cricket and drank some water after he appeared to get the big one down so im not too worried now.

Good idea. Its much easier and safer to just feed more small crickets than less large crickets when it comes to baby chameleons. Often times they can handle the bigger ones, but sometimes, like what happened to yours, they get stuck and cause problems.

yes i learned that tonight.. im glad my little guy appears to be okay. as long as he still seems fine tomorrow then im thankful!

he's still doing the opened mouth kind of heaving motion today, not as often but occasionally. he did poop last night and he drank quite a bit, my mom thinks its a territorial display because today hes only doing it when were all close to his tank. im not sure what to think at this point..

Can you get a video? It would help us determine if it is a territorial display or not.

okay ive got my camera charged and ready next to his tank if he does it again, he hasnt done it since my last post so we'll see what happens.

I noticed it said you handle him 2-3 times a day. That may be okay with some chameleons but for most that would be way too stressful. Too much stress can be very unhealthy. Since you mentioned he's been hiding that may be a good indication that he needs some space. The first 2-3 weeks of bringing your chameleon home should be dedicated to giving them space & privacy to adjust. It may take them up to a month to get used to their new schedule & habitat. After they are fully adjusted then you'll be able to get to know them better, learn their personality & at that point should be able to determine how much handling their comfortable with.

You seem eager to learn, but these are long term dedications so as long as you keep your drive & do your research you should be a great parent.

he's doing pretty good, got over the over stuffing since he ate the huge cricket. he's got a piece of something stuck in one of his eyes right now, luckily ive gotten in contact with the local reptile rescue woman and she has been helping with that. she came over today to check it out and we put what she calls "eye goop" into that eye to help him work it out. if he hasnt gotten it out within the next several days shes going to remove it manually. we chose to try the eye goop and see if he could work it out of his eye on his own in order to avoid the stress of having it manually removed if possible. there appears to be no infection and she thinks its a piece of dirt off of the branch in his terrarium. hopefully he'll work it out of there and not have to have it removed, but if it does have to be, i know he'll be in good hands. She is a very talented woman dedicated to helping reptiles and their owners. i am so thankful to have found her.

Back
Top Bottom