NEW C. gracilis x calyptratus hybrid

Price them how you want. You should probably wait until you are sure they wont die. Even the best of breeders have had babies die.

hehehehe purple assed camel lizards.

while i fundamentally agree with chris, in that bloodlines should be kept pure. once the human element is introduced its a whole other ball game.

ideally all these lovely chameleons would be off in the wild reproducing without human encroachment. survival being dictated not by us but by their "pure" environment but its just human nature to get involved, to get invasive. and to change the world.

without humans there wouldnt be umpteen billion chickens, and no more moas.

the future of all organisms isnt dictated only by natural factors as it has been for the history of life on this planet. theres a sinister force partially ignorance, partially survival and in out cases curiosity, and love. a love for the beauty in this world and what countless ages have produced for us to witness in awe.

humans have graduated from the lowly organism to a force of nature unto itself.

attempting to preserve a world we have already changed irreversibly is commendable. but it seems to me unrealistic. especially to think that the captive populations arent being selectively bred. larger casque, specific coloration or pattern, more pronounced rostrum, and most certainly inadvertently hardyness.

i dont see how this could possibly be construed as a bad thing. as long as he sells them off to sound minded fanatics of the hobby, you wont see them accidentally corrupting any gene pools. if fact the majority any chameleon sold likely dont breed at all. they end up as display animals. so thats just a bunch of dead ends

all in all this is a pretty amazing discovery if you ask me.

but thats all just my personal opinion.

i dont advocate trying to hybridize and keeping clean strong lineage should be priority.

sign me up for one btw :D

Here is a couple of pictures oc my biggest one looks to be a girl :)

Attachments

• 20120212_161932.jpg
    20120212_161932.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 20120212_161837.jpg
    20120212_161837.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 354
They just look like baby veileds to me...

Me too.

There have been numerous cases of female lizards that laid good eggs after either never being bred or being "bred" by other females. In other words- producing viable eggs without input from a male.

I wonder if that could be the case here.

Or a female unkowingly bred by a male veiled and retained sperm but no eggs until after bred by the gracilis.

I would think you could get quite a bit more $$ for them if you wait around to sell them after they show traits of the gracilis...

Me too.

There have been numerous cases of female lizards that laid good eggs after either never being bred or being "bred" by other females. In other words- producing viable eggs without input from a male.

I wonder if that could be the case here.

Or a female unkowingly bred by a male veiled and retained sperm but no eggs until after bred by the gracilis.

I would think you could get quite a bit more $$ for them if you wait around to sell them after they show traits of the gracilis...

this crossed my mind when i first read the thread.

i was wondering if a faux mating could actually induce hormones to start firing off that would in effect cause her to fertilize her own eggs.

i suppose its a possibility. im kind of hoping for them to actually be hybrids though.

and what would you expect them to look like anyways? why cant the veiled genes be dominant? and why is the validity of them being hybrids questioned?

A 2.5 month old veiled would have a much more developed casque. I think it's fairly clear they are not regular calyptratus just based on that.

this crossed my mind when i first read the thread.

i was wondering if a faux mating could actually induce hormones to start firing off that would in effect cause her to fertilize her own eggs.

i suppose its a possibility. im kind of hoping for them to actually be hybrids though.

and what would you expect them to look like anyways? why cant the veiled genes be dominant? and why is the validity of them being hybrids questioned?

All I have to say is that is one awesome screen name!!!

i'm pretty sure that chameleons can't self-fertilize although some reptiles can but through a different genetic mechanism that doesnt involve mating (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis)

i think the validity of them being hybrids is questioned cause some people don't like hybrids for ethics reasons and are concerned about them entering the market .they see hybrids as a threat to veileds gene pool , same applies for translucents or locality mixes in panther chams.

to me they look slightly different from veileds as I said before. in fact I agree with kent 67

A 2.5 month old veiled would have a much more developed casque. I think it's fairly clear they are not regular calyptratus just based on that.

i'm pretty sure that chameleons can't self-fertilize although some reptiles can but through a different genetic mechanism that doesnt involve mating

You need to dig a little deeper on this.

There are a number of cases that do involve pseudo mating among females and a number of species- not just the ones that specialize in this form of reproduction. It might not have been demonstrated in chameleons yet, but it has in other species of lizard, so should not be a huge surprise if it ever does...

I think it more likely that the female involved here was not a virgin at the time of mating and sperm stored from a previous mating is involved.

A 2.5 month old veiled would have a much more developed casque.

It's about size, not age. These are still very small compared to my veileds at 2.5 months...

But you guys might be right- maybe I'm not seeing in the photos what is really there in person.

I still think another month or two could make things more obvious and since since the OP brought it up, the result when the animals are a bit larger/more obvious could then help determine a better price point.

It's about size, not age.

You're right and that's really more along the lines of what I meant than what I wrote. So, to clarify, I've seen calyptratus with more pronounced casques at much smaller sizes. I think some even hatch with casques equal to if not more developed than these. So, by the size and age that they are, I would expect these to have much more developed casques if they were solely calyptratus. By the way, calyptratus and africanus recognize each other as mates, too.

I think some even hatch with casques equal to if not more developed than these.

I've never seen that. Ever. LOL

So, by the size and age that they are, I would expect these to have much more developed casques if they were solely calyptratus.

I disagree. Which is neither here nor there in determining whether these are actual hybrids- but I'm looking at photos here of my last bunch that were taken about that age/size and they look about the same as far as casque development.

By the way, calyptratus and africanus recognize each other as mates, too.

I was aware of that.

Can lizards even reproduce through arrhenotokous parthenogenesis? (I think I spelled that right?)

If they cannot, and there are males present in the clutch, we can throw out parthenogenesis.

Back
Top Bottom