New to chams

Hey guys! Names Mark, from the sunshine state, or USA's retirement home haha. Got some questions, so figured I'd best come to a cham specific site for help.

I have a solid acrylic enclosure measuring 36"x20"x72", that i was thinking of using for a chameleon. Now i have plenty of supplies for maintaining the proper humidity and heat, lights, etc. One of my big concerns with the enclosure is air circulation. I always read that it was a huge factor in cham keeping. And the only opening in said viv is at the top and is 24"x12", where the lights sit and misters are ran through the screen.

Now to combat the circulation issue i tossed around the idea of cutting a few circular holes in the top portion, and adding small desk fans or wired computer fans. Or replacing the doors with a single large door, and making it mesh. The door is 30"x36". Or is the cage large enough as is that when full of live plants, fresh air shouldn't be an issue?

Also would like some input on which species i should look into as a first time chameleon owner, but with lots of herping experience.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The cage size is good, but you'll definitely need some additional airflow. I would vote to replace the doors - easier, allows more air to move, and it's reversible if you ever need to go back to a solid enclosure in the future.

Veileds and panthers are good first-timer chameleons. We have a lot of members in Florida, too, so you should be able to get good advices on vets.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the input. I already picked up some wood for it today. I didn't really want to go cutting any more of the acrylic. It was expensive enough the first time. Lol

Back
Top Bottom