PayPal Warning!!!

tkilgour

Hello everyone, I just wanted to inform the community of a problem I encountered with a paypal transaction. Hopefully, this will help all of you from ever having this same problem.

I had a buyer pay for a pair of chameleons using paypal. I shipped the pair off that day and required a signature. The buyer recieved the chameleons and the FedEx shipping confirmed the package was delivered and signed for by the buyer's husband. The buyer emailed me and said that the pair looks awesome and they were very happy. Then 2 weeks later the buyer files a claim with paypal stating that they never received the package and I would not communicate with them at all. Needless to say, they never tried to contact me since their email stating they received the animals. I noticed my account was short the money and then paypal emailed me saying they were investigating the claim and put a hold on the funds. Luckily, I had all the communication between myself and the buyer, a tracking number and proof of signature. Once paypal confirmed the package was delivered and signed for, and that the buyer emailed me that the animals arrived, they called the buyer. The buyer insisted they did not receive the package. Luckily after a long rollercoaster ride, paypal made a decision in my favor. Paypal said since I required a signature and had an email from the buyer after receiving the package that I was not at fault. They then credited my money. They said to always require a signature because w/o that it is possible that I could lose a claim, even if tracking shows it delivered.

In conclusion, I just wanted to warn all of you who sell chameleons. You would be doing yourself and your animals a favor if you require a signature. You never know when someone will try to do this to you.

Yep, always require signatures. Paypal said if they sign then there is no question on if they actually received it or not.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to inform the community of a problem I encountered with a paypal transaction. Hopefully, this will help all of you from ever having this same problem.

I had a buyer pay for a pair of chameleons using paypal. I shipped the pair off that day and required a signature. The buyer recieved the chameleons and the FedEx shipping confirmed the package was delivered and signed for by the buyer's husband. The buyer emailed me and said that the pair looks awesome and they were very happy. Then 2 weeks later the buyer files a claim with paypal stating that they never received the package and I would not communicate with them at all. Needless to say, they never tried to contact me since their email stating they received the animals. I noticed my account was short the money and then paypal emailed me saying they were investigating the claim and put a hold on the funds. Luckily, I had all the communication between myself and the buyer, a tracking number and proof of signature. Once paypal confirmed the package was delivered and signed for, and that the buyer emailed me that the animals arrived, they called the buyer. The buyer insisted they did not receive the package. Luckily after a long rollercoaster ride, paypal made a decision in my favor. Paypal said since I required a signature and had an email from the buyer after receiving the package that I was not at fault. They then credited my money. They said to always require a signature because w/o that it is possible that I could lose a claim, even if tracking shows it delivered.

In conclusion, I just wanted to warn all of you who sell chameleons. You would be doing yourself and your animals a favor if you require a signature. You never know when someone will try to do this to you.

good call, i used to use usps until i got a lot of 10 get stuck in shipping.

i shipped them out on the friday before martin luther king day. and they didnt get there until the tuesday after. i cant tell you how angry i was. luckily i always insure my packages, for more than they are worth. and even though they are perishable the guy at my local post office granted me my money when i got him pics from the buyer. 6 of the 10 died. but yeah i dont think perishables are normally insurable but i always insure the packages just in case, its worth the couple dollars.

You are right, typically perishable items are not insurable. If you use Shipyourreptiles.com then they offer insurance. However, the insurance only covers the animal if it arrives dead and late. It has to be late, if it is dead and on time, then the insurance is pointless.

I don't use PayPal after I sold my first two chameleons on it....and PayPal stole 27$ in fees. Which is BS. I did the math, and on one clutch of Nosy Be all sold on PayPal would cost me nearly $200 in fees. Mitsio or Ambilobe, and the fees would just be more! lol

Signatures is a good way to go though, I've been screwed a few times by both buyers and sellers with PayPal.

Dang, glad it was decided in your favour! If I ever ship I will remember that!

Hey Lee, I never got my cham!?!?! ;)

I had to sign for him lol

Lol. Don't even think about it:) plus we got pic proof on the forum. O were are some updated pics of your boy i can't wait to see him:)

If the buyer will do that to you they will do that to others.
I would "out" this person so everybody knows who to avoid.
What's up with all these low class thieves that haunt this hobby.
They need to be stopped.

I deal a lot with shipping and handling of corals I had a case once that the buyer claimed I sent him the wrongs corals I was lucky I had taken picture of all the corals in my tank that I had sent as well with labels on the bags so it's also a good idea to take a picture of the animal before sending it out and have corresponding emails with pictures of the actual animals that are to being sent out as well as the animal in the box before shipping its sad to say how shady people can be

Everyone has made excellent points. Hopefully, this thread will save other sellers from having problems. I really like the idea of taking photos prior to shipping. That is a good tactic to prevent fraud. As for outing that person, well that is against site rules and I am not doing that. I just wanted to share some of my experiences with the forum so that no one has to be troubled with these circumstances.

Everyone has made excellent points. Hopefully, this thread will save other sellers from having problems. I really like the idea of taking photos prior to shipping. That is a good tactic to prevent fraud. As for outing that person, well that is against site rules and I am not doing that. I just wanted to share some of my experiences with the forum so that no one has to be troubled with these circumstances.

Out them on fuana. not here. :)

I am so sorry that sellers even have to go through this! It is beyond me what people will try! I have no problems signing for and fallowing through with an email about the arrival as well as photos of what I received.... I think sellers will have no problem with asking anything of honest purchasers. JMHO

Goodness Tom I had no problems when I purchased Sundance from you. You were on it from the moment you dropped him off for shipment to me until he arrived! You still care about how he is and I thank you!

I am so sorry that sellers even have to go through this! It is beyond me what people will try! I have no problems signing for and fallowing through with an email about the arrival as well as photos of what I received.... I think sellers will have no problem with asking anything of honest purchasers. JMHO

Goodness Tom I had no problems when I purchased Sundance from you. You were on it from the moment you dropped him off for shipment to me until he arrived! You still care about how he is and I thank you!

Thank you! I hope Sundance is doing great.

I get to use this service next month with Lance Chams, yikes! I totally trust him, but is there anything that can go wrong on the receiving end with this system? Such as, is it known for Paypal to "misplace" my money or anything?

Bummer that you had to put up with that, and glad that your precautions had worked; thanks for the advice! - I don't remember that you had me sign for my guy... but I've got far too many photos floating around to claim I never got him!:p

Back
Top Bottom