superworm q

Lil nasty

i just get the small tub of supers at petsmart of 25, they come in what looks like small woodchip bedding. this doesnt do anything for them right? is it sufficient to just throw vegtables in that container? if so, on top of bedding or mixed in.. saw some posts about oatmeal.. would it be better to switch out that bedding to oatmeal that i have laying around? thanks

The woodchips are just to store them in, they do not eat it and it really serves no purpose, you can keep them in oatmeal and just put the fruits and veggies in with that.

I change out the vegetables and fruit eveyday, as it gets nasty after about a day. I buy some type of oats at the reptile store that they live in and I guess they eat it too. I change that out when it starts getting icky looking too, but the bedding last for quite awhile before it needs to be changed out..

I use quick oats as a substrate. The tub I have them in is quite big, so I usually spread out fruits and vegetables on the top of the substrate. On really slow boring days I watch the worms come up out of the oats to eat. Sometimes they devour everything in short order, but I'll remove everything thats not eaten by the end of the day.

I can't remember why, but I know that oats are not very good as a large part of the gutload. I like the keep them in a dry gutload with egg crate/cardboard stuff and add veggies as needed.

I actually shouldn't have called them oats. Part of the substrate is oats, but it's actually the dry gutload that I use from the recipe on the melleri discovery. It's got a bunch of stuff in the dry gutload like powdered milk, grape nuts, and stuff like that. I usually just call it the oats. I should have elaborated when i said oats...

Ha, no worries! :) I just wanted to inform members. We all just want what's best for the little guys.

Guess ill have to do some research on this dry gutload, I just threw them in some quaker oats but guess that's not good enough. Pash wana trade some hornworms for some butterworms? Lol, i need to get rid of em

Yeah sure, sorry I didn't get back to you. My mom got sick and I had to take care of her. She's better now though. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out. I'll give you extra for not responding last time.

I don't know about the wood shavings but I keep a piece of rotting wood in with my superworms. I was told to do this when breeding them. I'm not sure if they eat it or just live in/under it. (I know darkling beetles (mealworm beetles) like to live near rotting wood...so it makes sense to me.)

(If I remember correctly, oatmeal is high is phosphorus.)

I don't know about the wood shavings but I keep a piece of rotting wood in with my superworms. I was told to do this when breeding them. I'm not sure if they eat it or just live in/under it. (I know darkling beetles (mealworm beetles) like to live near rotting wood...so it makes sense to me.)

(If I remember correctly, oatmeal is high is phosphorus.)

Have you had any success with breeding them? I've been thinking about trying, and the rotting wood idea has me thinking now...

For quite a few years I've had a colony of them living in my turtle cages. They eat the same "salad" as the turtles...and I provided them with a piece of rotting wood to live in/under or do whatever else they do with it. I see the beetles and worms in the cage frequently. I haven't tried to breed them outside of that...but I suppose I could/should have.

It is FINE to use oats and bran as the substrate, even though they have to wrong phosphorous to calcium ratio, because you are going to calcium dust the supers most of the time, like you do crickets. Supers like to be able to burrow.

Alternatively or additionally, add whatever dry gutload you use for crickets etc. For example: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/367-gutoad-recipe-october-2010.html (note the oak tree leaves in the drygutload are well liked by roaches and supers)

To give them moisture and make them more nutritious, put small pieces of carrot, squash, yam, dandelion leaves etc on top of the substrate. Dont let the substrate get damp or it will mold and encourage mites. You can feed off supers directly, or for added nutrition separate out a couple days before and Only provide fruit and veg.

SDC15462.jpg

SDC15463.jpg

SDC15464.jpg

i keep them in a oatmeal ,wheat bran baby formula bedding for moisture i and collars and only feed my chameleons supers tucked in the collaars eating forgot that pix but ill add

Back
Top Bottom