Tail discoloration

chameleon100

IMG_9034.jpeg
IMG_9035.jpeg
IMG_9036.jpeg

Hi Everyone, this is Emmet. I have had him for about 6 months, but he is a year old. I just noticed this tail discoloration, and I’m trying to figure out what it is. He’s acting completely normal, and he’s using his tail just fine, can someone help me please figure this out? I’m worried about him

I don’t know if that is tail rot, but it is definitely concerning. I’m assuming no open wounds or signs of trauma on the tail…yes? I suggest a vet visit and the sooner, the better. I wouldn’t wait for it to progress any further.

I don’t know if that is tail rot, but it is definitely concerning. I’m assuming no open wounds or signs of trauma on the tail…yes? I suggest a vet visit and the sooner, the better. I wouldn’t wait for it to progress any further.
Yeah there’s no open wounds or anything with trauma as far as I know… I was on vacation for 3 weeks and we had our good friend who had experience with reptiles take care of of him. However the color of his tail is the same color of his body and doesn’t look discolored when he is darker… does this mean anything? Also he JUST started shedding right after I posted this
IMG_9040.jpeg
IMG_9039.jpeg

Yeah there’s no open wounds or anything with trauma as far as I know… I was on vacation for 3 weeks and we had our good friend who had experience with reptiles take care of of him. However the color of his tail is the same color of his body and doesn’t look discolored when he is darker… does this mean anything? Also he JUST started shedding right after I posted this View attachment 359149View attachment 359148
Can you tell me if his tail gets pale like the rest of his body when he is asleep? I see nothing that stands out with the tail. If the tail is going pale when he sleeps then I think he is fine. If it is staying dark then that can signify an injury to the tail. Which of course unless you see an open wound will just take time. If he is doing a full tail curl and using it to hold on to things this is a good sign it is normal coloration he is going through right now.

Yeah there’s no open wounds or anything with trauma as far as I know… I was on vacation for 3 weeks and we had our good friend who had experience with reptiles take care of of him.

Can you tell me if his tail gets pale like the rest of his body when he is asleep? I see nothing that stands out with the tail. If the tail is going pale when he sleeps then I think he is fine. If it is staying dark then that can signify an injury to the tail. Which of course unless you see an open wound will just take time. If he is doing a full tail curl and using it to hold on to things this is a good sign it is normal coloration he is going through right now.
Yeah I will for sure let you know when he sleeps tonight. Thanks!!! You all have been really helpful.

If ANYTHING gets injured, its going to pretty much make the whole limb/tail dark from the injury to the tip/end. Its not nearly as bad as it looks. One cricket bite or a scrape is enough.

I have seen this before in my nosy be male. It seems to be benign as the color change happened around the year two mark and he is almost 5 now. Does the discoloration seem the affect only one side of the tail?

I have seen this before in my nosy be male. It seems to be benign as the color change happened around the year two mark and he is almost 5 now. Does the discoloration seem the affect only one side of the tail?
Ok thanks. Yeah it’s mostly on one side, there is a little bit of it on the very end of his tail on the other side.

I have spoke about this condition with @Action Jackson and he has seen it on one of his animals, again seemed to be benign but we were unable to determine a cause. I would be interested to see if you find any more information about this.

Back
Top Bottom