The red-headed step child of UVB

Ksauber

So I have read many times over that you should not get a UVB light built that screws in to a standard lamp. Instead you should get a tube. It makes no difference if both are called reptisun 5.0, the tube is the only option.

Recently, at a reptile show, I was told by a few people from a reptile rescue, that anything that says UVB is complete junk. If you do not specifically have a mercury vapor you will harm/kill your animals.

Now I know mercury vapor are heat and UVB combined (which to me just sounds like a nightmare to control temps while still supplying the needed amnt of UVB) but I didn't think they were all that much better, just more convinient.

My question is why is tube UVB far superiority to a coil UVB. And is mercury vapor really so much better than both?

I've always heard that coiled ones could cause eye problems, but they've fixed that and it's fine to use them now.

Supposedly the coil uvb lights have had their issue fixed. however, the old lights are still being sold. there is a way to tell the difference, but i don't remember, as i only use linear. linear will cover more space. i have read about the mercury in some books, & it seems to be a step up. that being said, plenty of people have successfully raised many healthy chams over the years with no mbd. As mercury vapor is expensive and has to be replaced also, most keepers find it easier to use uvb, D3 supplements, & get their chams outside as often as possible. it seems to be a question that will always have differing opinions. my opinion, whether right or wrong, would be to go with has worked for you in the past or borrow from a trusted keeper. if it worked for them, a similar setup should work for you. there will probably always be a difference of opinion here, however, if you live somewhere you can keep your chams outside year round or at least summertime, then you zhould rest assured they will be all right. hope this helps.

MVB
I'd love to see their data to support that mercury vapor bulbs are substantially better than other UVB sources, and I'd really love to see their data showing that the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of animals raised under UVB only bulbs are unhealthy. I think someone is perpetuating their unfounded opinion as fact. Not that MVB are not good bulbs, but to say that anything different is junk or is doing harm is going to need some evidence behind it for me to even consider it.

Tube vs coil
At one time there was a manufacturing problem with the ReptiSun CFL UVB bulbs so that they emitted unsafe levels of UVB and even UVC rays, which corresponded to health problems like eye problems and burns in reptiles. This manufacturing issue was identified and corrected by the manufacturer several years ago and thus we have not seen problems with it since then. The ReptiGlo CFL UVB bulbs were never associated with these harmful effects. The linear ReptiGlo or ReptiSun bulbs have never had any health problems associated with them either. Many chameleon hobbyists have been using CFLs very successfully for years. The "evil CFL" reputation is still very much alive in tortoise/turtle circles.

This is all very good to know. I use coil UVB bulbs with both my sulcata and my blue tongue skink, and was planning on using one for my Cham while he is in his baby cage, but got kind of spooked by so many warnings. I have never had my other animals have issues with them but I figured since chameleons are sort of extra fussy about the habitat, I would just see if any of this if founded in reality. The mercury vapor bulbs are pricey, but I like them for when there is less space available for multiple hoods. However I have never seen and vast health improvements when using them over a standard strip or coil bulb.

I prefer keeping the UVB and heat separate so I can adjust the heat as needed. In the summer I use a lower wattage bulb to counter warmer ambient temps, and in the winter a higher wattage bulb. I wouldn't be able to do that with a combined bulb.

MVB
I'd love to see their data to support that mercury vapor bulbs are substantially better than other UVB sources, and I'd really love to see their data showing that the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of animals raised under UVB only bulbs are unhealthy. I think someone is perpetuating their unfounded opinion as fact. Not that MVB are not good bulbs, but to say that anything different is junk or is doing harm is going to need some evidence behind it for me to even consider it.

Tube vs coil
At one time there was a manufacturing problem with the ReptiSun CFL UVB bulbs so that they emitted unsafe levels of UVB and even UVC rays, which corresponded to health problems like eye problems and burns in reptiles. This manufacturing issue was identified and corrected by the manufacturer several years ago and thus we have not seen problems with it since then. The ReptiGlo CFL UVB bulbs were never associated with these harmful effects. The linear ReptiGlo or ReptiSun bulbs have never had any health problems associated with them either. Many chameleon hobbyists have been using CFLs very successfully for years. The "evil CFL" reputation is still very much alive in tortoise/turtle circles.

Well stated, if I may add, use of coil or linear tubes will depend on your setup, while the linear lamps will cover more area horizontally, you will get more penetration down into your cage with a stronger lamp wether it be a CFL, T5HO, MVB, or MH. I used a CFL UVB Reptisun 5.0 from May until now with no issues and when it came time to replace the lamp went with a Metal halide to provide both heat and UVB. I am using a 35w which is elevated 12 inches above my basking site and it stays at about 85 throughout the day.

Alright well based on all of that I think I am going to go with a coil bulb until he gets to his big boy cage. Then I wills with to a strip to cover more space.

Well stated, if I may add, use of coil or linear tubes will depend on your setup, while the linear lamps will cover more area horizontally, you will get more penetration down into your cage with a stronger lamp wether it be a CFL, T5HO, MVB, or MH. I used a CFL UVB Reptisun 5.0 from May until now with no issues and when it came time to replace the lamp went with a Metal halide to provide both heat and UVB. I am using a 35w which is elevated 12 inches above my basking site and it stays at about 85 throughout the day.

Metal halides DO NOT emit UVB.
Metal halide lighting DOES offer very good lumen penetration and output which results in thriving vegetative plant growth.

Metal halides DO NOT emit UVB.
Metal halide lighting DOES offer very good lumen penetration and output which results in thriving vegetative plant growth.

Do you have any test results proving that statement? I have not run tests on these lamps myself so I can only go on the information provided by Exoterra, the manufacturer of the fixture and lamp. They state that at 12 inches the mh lamp should produce 160 uw/cm2.

Do you have any test results proving that statement? I have not run tests on these lamps myself so I can only go on the information provided by Exoterra, the manufacturer of the fixture and lamp. They state that at 12 inches the mh lamp should produce 160 uw/cm2.

I just checked using my solar meter 6.2, on a 600 watt metal halide for my Orchid farm. So absolutely 100% positive that metal halides DO NOT emit any UVB. Can we see the packaging?

WOW, I just checked the exoterra website and they do Claim UVB with metal halides. I stand corrected. In fact those look fantastic. Clearly very specialized bulbs. I like it. Possibly the "best" new lighting for our chams. OMG did you see the pricing?

Last edited:
im about to move firnen into his big boy cage and i will switch to tube then. but he has been on coil uvb for all of the time that i have had him and there has been absolutely no problems.

nothing more than a myth :rolleyes:

Anyone in socal have a solarmeter i can borrow to test the sunray lamps?

Can we see a picture of yours being used in the habitat ? I would like to see how bright they are. Really, if these new exoterra bulbs are as good in person as they seem on paper they will sell a ton of them to the right keepers. Thanks for sharing the info.

Back
Top Bottom