Veiled Cham not drinking water

EVEJ88

My veiled chameleon is about 3 months. I bought it at a reptile convention. He was extremely thin. Couple of weeks later, he showed obvious signs of MBD. Unable to eat, I smashed the crickets and placed them in his mouth (while he opened his mouth on his own). He was able to eat. I also mixed water with calcium and minerals. Two and a half weeks later he was able to walk and eat on his own, but he doesn't drink water.
I'm not sure what else to do since I go to school Monday-Friday I want to make sure he's drinking water.

Make sure to look at his urates (the white sacks that are excreted with the feces). If they are dark yellow or orange you may have a problem but if they are white your chameleon is healthy. Remember that chameleons tend to like privacy. My chameleon does not drink or poop in front of me. Sometimes you won't see your chameleon drinking but they actually are.

Do you have a misting system or anything/anybody to mist it while your gone? At least setup a drip system to drip thru the top of your cage if its screen.

Make sure to look at his urates (the white sacks that are excreted with the feces). If they are dark yellow or orange you may have a problem but if they are white your chameleon is healthy. Remember that chameleons tend to like privacy. My chameleon does not drink or poop in front of me. Sometimes you won't see your chameleon drinking but they actually are.
I do pay attention every day since I like to clean whenever he defecates. It looks white to me! Mine actually doesn't mind pooping in front of me.

Do you have a misting system or anything/anybody to mist it while your gone? At least setup a drip system to drip thru the top of your cage if its screen.
I do have a dripper. I had a drinking foutain for chams that I bought online, and he did use it before getting sick, but I was told that the foutain is not safe as it can transmit some type of bacteria.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 167
Back
Top Bottom