why did i ever bother? (may offend)

aaron1

i completely regret ever bringing this creature into my house.
Before i continue, please dont take this as any sort of criticism. I think i was being completely naive when i decided to own one. They are amazing to watch but i struggle to find any other rewards in keeping mine. I think i should stick to dogs. just when i think ive taken care of all the chams needs and requirements, something else pops up!i have spent a considerable amount on it already and i get nothing back. The least rewarding pet i could have ever owned.

as a keeper of over 20 different chams i take offence to your comment, if you would of done the proper research without diving into buying one, you would realize they are very fragile creatures that do require a fair bit of extra care compared to a "dog" ......... they are exotic animals .... what did you expect ....... theres a lot of people like yourself out there....i work at a pet shop and see it all the time.... impulse buyers....please find someone who knows about chams and relieve yourself of this beautiful creature .... in my opinion you do not deserve to own one.... this site is for people who want to learn...not for people to complain.....you must have been misunderstood......please read a book or google next time you decide to buy an animal that looks cool!

he he he or cuddle up with you at night?....some people are so ignorant

They sure are. :rolleyes:

I would like to remind everyone of the TOS. I believe we all had to read it when we signed up here. I just want to reinforce rule#2 under posting:

Chameleon Forums will not tolerate rudeness, personal attacks, derogatory insults, bigotry, defamatory comments, or purposeless inflammatory behavior. Our decision is final in these matters.

I think Aaron1 has shown great maturity by saying what he did. Chameleons, and reptiles in general, aren't for everyone and best he find out now. I think his words can be a huge learning tool for people wanting to get into the hobby as well as for some of our longer term members as well.

Trace

I'm not offended. Chameleons definitely are not for everyone. You may want to look at finding a new owner who will appreciate the chameleon more and have the time needed for its care.

I'm not offended. Chameleons definitely are not for everyone. You may want to look at finding a new owner who will appreciate the chameleon more and have the time needed for its care.

well said and fully agree.

Harry

I am glad you are honest about your feelings. If you wish to put it out for adoption, I can take it. Please let me know where you are located and if you are willing to give it up and get yourself a different kind of pet.

No way I am offended. Aaron1 admitted it is not the Pet for him. I agree with Brad-they are not for everyone. I would find it hard to do the the major amounts of work I do for my herd here if I did not truly get something back. In this case Aaron can rehome the cham and the cham is not going to care at all about losing his previous owner and Aaron can walk away guilt free. This is not true of all of the Birds and Dogs and Cats (etc.) out there that become part of someone's flock or pack, emotionally become attached, and then either get shoved out in the yard, left in a cage, dropped off at the pound, or worse. These animals long for their owners for years or forever.

Aaron-I am sure this would be a great place for you to find a new home for your cham.

sorry to bring such negativity to your forums. I needed to vent my frustrations somehow and dont know anyone who appreciates chameleons so i came here.
I wish i was a reptile person but its clear that its not the case. They are beautiful and fascinating creatures but they seem to be more a hobby than a pet. i was offered this cham and all the set up for 50 pounds so jumped straight in without thought. When i was told they are hard to look after i guess i didnt really realise how hard. now im completely indifferent to its fate.

Just rehome it for the same fee or for free-then you have no more worries. Don't stress about it. I do hope indifferent does not mean you will just let it die.

Please dont let him die. Why dont you PM BocaJan and she if she still wants to take him. She will give him a great home :)

Ahh right he did say 50 pounds. I was too busy stressing about the indifferent to its fate comment :(

sorry to bring such negativity to your forums. I needed to vent my frustrations somehow and dont know anyone who appreciates chameleons so i came here.
I wish i was a reptile person but its clear that its not the case. They are beautiful and fascinating creatures but they seem to be more a hobby than a pet. i was offered this cham and all the set up for 50 pounds so jumped straight in without thought. When i was told they are hard to look after i guess i didnt really realise how hard. now im completely indifferent to its fate.
I will take your chameleon and give it a new home where it will be cared for ??? Jus PM me if your interested..

When people first get a chameleon/s they will struggle at least once.
I was also told the incorrect iformation by a petstore, I then had to spend alot of money fixing all problems and I still spend alot of money on my chams now and I still feel I need better and more stuff or equipment for them, that is what makes you seem to think you are not getting anything out of it, but I disagree I love my chams so much, I will never stop owning chameleons, I think I will even get a job that still lets me keep chameleons, when I will buy a house I am going to make sure there is space for my chameleons.

I think that even when you retire, you can keep and breed them still and you can also make money like that (depending of species).

I went through alot of problems with my chameleons but I will never give up I would learn from mistakes or experiences and keep on going.

Hope you find it more rewarding for you, in some way.

When we got our first cham back in September, I was hoping mine would be different from the others I'd read about - I hoped I would be able to handle him, etc. Now that we have two, I've realized it's best just to leave them alone. It's very frustrating to have a pet that doesn't particularly enjoy your company, or that makes you feel as though you're "not getting anything back," but as an educator I find them fascinating.

So a reptile isn't for you - no big deal! Just make sure he goes to a good home (like someone on here), and please don't put him up on CraigsList (some really HORRIBLE experiences with CL pet owners!). Above all, make sure he goes to someone who understands the animal. I believe many people just think, "hey, chameleon, pretty colors..." without doing research.

Good luck!!! :)

P.S. what kind is he?

I hear the OP on the frustration bit. :) Even when you have read up for years, made sure the equipment you have is right, have a great cage, set it all up in advance and all that...you STILL find a dozen things that either need to be done differently, need to be fixed, tweaked, etc.! It can be mind numbing all the things these guys need just to survive. :)

However, being a reptile lover I find that the work has its rewards. Seeing your chameleon eat for the first time with you out of a dish you held in your hand is awesome. Watching them climb (or plod, as my BF says) around in their cage, obviously liking the branches and plants you added is great!

I am going to admit, as did the OP but in a different way, that I might not be fully able to keep this little guy as he should be kept - what with climate issues, space issues, and of course money issues. BUT I fully intend to do the darn best that I can with what I've got. If I see that his happiness or health are declining despite my efforts, then up for adoption (or back to the breeders) he goes and I wait until my living conditions are more appropriate to get another one. :)

It's a great thing to want a new kind of pet, but we all have to remember ourselves and teach others that impulses and animals never go together without consequences.

Back
Top Bottom