why did i ever bother? (may offend)

I struggled and lost my first. Just didnt have enough info and was told all the wrong info from the pet store.

Once they are fully set up--(Auto mister, correct lighting, feeder insects, supplements, live plants, and a place to drain water) They are really easy to take care of. As long as they are not under lots of stress and are fed healthy bugs they should stay healthy for the most part. Dont get me wrong i know things happen unexpected, that is just life. (shit can happen to a dog too).

I agree a chameleon could be considered a hobby pet. They require a lot to get set up for the first time.

Anyway, i agree they are not for everyone. I sure hope you can find your a good home.

Just curious, what kind of cham is it you are having problems with? also, what kind of problems are you having for you to want to get rid of it?

The error on your part was thining it was a pet. Cameleons make great display animals, but very few of them would qualify as a pet. No big deal, common mistake. If you never had a reptile, you probably wouldn't expect it. There's a reason we say someone who is heartless and without emotion is "cold-blodded"!

I had a WC veiled, I incubated his offspring, hatched them out and reared them - and they all hated my guts.

They're like saltwater fish. You you want something that will like you back, you will be dissapointed by anything but a fellow mammal. Even birds, whihc seem to be warm and affectionate... it's not the same.

I understand completely how you feel. I sometimes ask myself why I own my "money pits". For me the answer is my life wouldn't be complete without spending some time each day watching to see what each one is doing now, who is shedding, are any girls gravid or ready to be, anyone off there food, all poo ok? Or the days when all seems fine and I just enjoy the beauty.

But if the beauty and display presented by the creatures isn't for you then my hat is off to you for seeing that and doing what is best for the cham by getting it a loving home. Best of luck. If you were in the US I would take your cham in a heartbeat, where are you and what kind of cham do you have?

I'm not offended. Chameleons definitely are not for everyone. You may want to look at finding a new owner who will appreciate the chameleon more and have the time needed for its care.

Im a Newowner :p

I agree though, chameleons aren't for everyone and if you dont have any interest in it, to the right thing and sell/give it away to a good home

Not a pet shop ;)

-Levi

no offence should be taken. and many, many people rush into buying a reptile or a dog for that matter with out fully understanding the how much is involved. i thought about a chameleon for a good 6 months before finally deciding to get one. and i started my reptile hobby with something a lot easier... crested geckos. it takes strength to admit you've made a mistake in taking this animal. the indifferent to it's fate comment is concerning though. please find it a good home, and make sure the person who takes it is either experience or completely undersands what they're all about

To each his own... i personally am still mourning the loss of my dog over a year ago, but for me right now with four young kids (1 still in diapers) i know that a hyper pup needing house breaking is not a good idea (do think about rescuing an older dog, but kinda want a pup) so reptiles just make sence for me right now cause they're quiet and stay in their respective homes.

Best of luck to you and your cham

It is really adult of you to admit your mistake. That takes a lot to do that.

I hope you care enough about it's fate to post up a want ad for it at least. I am sure someone here will snatch him up quick and you can breathe a sigh of relief. Nobody would judge you for that.

Or you could see if everyone can pick up your spirits and help you shift mentalities getting you back on a positive path.

If anything, I hope you find something that works out for your best interest and the chameleons too. Good luck.

Eric writes:
I had a WC veiled, I incubated his offspring, hatched them out and reared them - and they all hated my guts.

They're like saltwater fish. You you want something that will like you back, you will be dissapointed by anything but a fellow mammal. Even birds, whihc seem to be warm and affectionate... it's not the same.

Things don't always work out. I had a wife once, and ............ ;)

I'm not offended, either. There is a senior member here that is well liked and well respected, and his first chameleon would not tolerate his attentions at all. Not even to look at him. He was very frank about the situation, as you are, and wondered at the futility of shelling out money, time, energy for something that had no regard for him. He found another experienced cham keeper to take him in (not us), and the cham is living a happy, active life as a stud with a pretty little harem.

Some people struggle with ownership, struggle with their feelings, and finally just neglect the chameleon to death. At least you are honest with yourself about your situation and ready to move on. That's very positive and progressive.

good news! Found a new home, though im wondering if this new owner will be just like me and not realise the time and attention this creature needs.

I have a very active lifestyle and i simply do not have any space in my life for something so dependant (and expensive for that matter!)

I guess it dosent help that the only reptile shop here is a good hours walk from my house. Its hard to fit in the trip with work and my social life. I hope you all understand that i am in no way criticising chameleon keepers but i find it hard to care for something that dosent care back. If i ever decide to get an animal for display in the future, i'll probably stick to the more financially sound goldfish!

Glad to hear you've found him a new home. I think you would be happy with keeping fish. Although they are still a 'display' animal, depending on what species you get they can be very interactive with their owner. Especially once they learn to associate you approaching the tank with a feeding. They're also relatively less demanding both with time and money (just don't go overboard like I did and end up owning 17 tanks;))

So long as you only have one tank you could add an auto-feeder and light timers, then you would really only need to check in once per day to make sure they're acting normal. Cleaning only needs to be done once per week and with a tank of 55 gallons (~200L) that would only be about an hour of your time.

If I can make a suggestion, African Cichlids are the best!!!:D

i have to admit. i rushed into buy a chameleon. i bought mine on the way home from a camping trip. we stopped in a small town and the pet store was open and had a neon sign that said "exotic pets" i held this little green thing called a chameleon and said "okay hes adorable, i'm buying him." i actually put him in a large glass vase with branches and blades of grass from outside, like you would do with a rollie pollie bug or something. he turned black and i was like WTF? then i figured i'd better google this critter and find out what he needs. i didn't have a ton of money, and i actually borrowed 60 bucks from a friend of mine just so i could get him a good cage and the proper lights. i stuck with hand spraying him until i had saved up enough money to get something better. I'm really glad to read in this original post that this new "naive" own did take the time to get everything needed for his cham. Some unknowing people wouldn't even take the time/money to do that.

It takes trial and error to learn what we humans like, and everyone is different.
Now his chameleon needs a good, loving forever home.

Not a big deal, nothing to get your panties in a bundle about. He was smart about its care, and then figured it just wasn't the right animal for him.

the end.

Did you think it would play "fetch" ??? :rolleyes:

:pHAHA HAHAHA:D. . .i did! jk jk

No buisness buying one! obviously someone didn't take note of the level of experience needed (ahem. . .expert/advanced; aperently that means dog and cat level care?:confused:

oh boy... please do some research before doing that as well.

(anyone else who worked at a petstore as long as I did should understand what I mean)

LOL can't some species live over 20 years. . .don't forget to include him in your will:rolleyes: RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!

i love how Aarons expresses himself saying he doesnt like this kinds of animal and its not for him because its not very rewarding for him and then you have the attackers right away on him just going at his troat ,saying oh this offended me , WHAT PART OFFENDED! it doesnt have anything about you in it or the way you care for your animals does it so how does that offend you,then they have the heart to say i dont understand ppl , and ppl are so ignorant , when there the attackers that just assume hes not taking care it properly because hes not geting the reward like he does from owning a dog and then they tease saying oh did you think it would play fetch or cuddle with you at night? like come on give the guy a break hes obviuosly going to give it away to a nice home , also if you work at a pet store and see all these impulsive buyers buy a reptile and you knowing that there not gona take care if it properly or let it die then why do you sell it to them??? because pet stores dont give a flying jack about them always worried about the almighty Dollar, this is where ppl are so ignorant should come into play , we should always give someone a chance and not judge right away , if i was just coming into this hobby and had soemone attack me like that i would never come onto chameleon forums again it would just ruin your experience tp please dont be so quick to judge someone , somebody gave me a chance even though i asked a million questions i still got that chance from someone who was very experienced in the chameleon hobby and they helped me out alot and it made me love the hobby even more because of all the help. now a days , you get attacked for not knowing something , know doesnt that make someone want to come back? , no sure doesnt, makes them want to get out of the hobby soon as possible and then in return tell someone else oh dont get into chameleons cause if your new you get your head bitten off, we have all been there ppl there might be some who didnt but most of us have been and its not nice at all but thats my 2 cents

i love how Aarons expresses himself saying he doesnt like this kinds of animal and its not for him because its not very rewarding for him and then you have the attackers right away on him just going at his troat ,saying oh this offended me , WHAT PART OFFENDED! it doesnt have anything about you in it or the way you care for your animals does it so how does that offend you,then they have the heart to say i dont understand ppl , and ppl are so ignorant , when there the attackers that just assume hes not taking care it properly because hes not geting the reward like he does from owning a dog and then they tease saying oh did you think it would play fetch or cuddle with you at night? like come on give the guy a break hes obviuosly going to give it away to a nice home , also if you work at a pet store and see all these impulsive buyers buy a reptile and you knowing that there not gona take care if it properly or let it die then why do you sell it to them??? because pet stores dont give a flying jack about them always worried about the almighty Dollar, this is where ppl are so ignorant should come into play , we should always give someone a chance and not judge right away , if i was just coming into this hobby and had soemone attack me like that i would never come onto chameleon forums again it would just ruin your experience tp please dont be so quick to judge someone , somebody gave me a chance even though i asked a million questions i still got that chance from someone who was very experienced in the chameleon hobby and they helped me out alot and it made me love the hobby even more because of all the help. now a days , you get attacked for not knowing something , know doesnt that make someone want to come back? , no sure doesnt, makes them want to get out of the hobby soon as possible and then in return tell someone else oh dont get into chameleons cause if your new you get your head bitten off, we have all been there ppl there might be some who didnt but most of us have been and its not nice at all but thats my 2 cents

I think the part that people are offended at is the fact that he seemingly didn't "get" anything out of the experience, and how this person ipitimizes the definition of the notorius impulse reptile buyer. He does get credit for doing for it what he could, which is more than most people usually do on implulse "because it's cool" buys.

Back
Top Bottom