Exo Terra Compact Top Lighting Issue

litahudak

So a few days ago I went to the pet store and I got an Exo Terra light hood because I'd read such good things about them online. On the one side it has space for two lights and on the opposite side it has a single spot which looks like it's for the heat light. What's weird is it has 2 switches on the side to easily turn the lights on and off, except it only works for one of the regular lights. The other switch has no effect whatsoever. Has anyone else had a problem with an Exo Terra light? Or did I just get a funky one out of the bunch?

All the bulbs get hot, but I was wondering if either the bulbs or the hood were built so maybe they cooled down before they turned off like neon signs? It'd be a surprise to me but I wasn't sure if they had a cool down system before they turned off or not. Who knows, I think I just got a defective one. Right now it's not a big deal, I just unplug it. Thanks though! And yes there's only one cable that plugs in.

they arent flourescents that fit in there, they are regular screw in bulbs, and im not sure if yours has it, but one of the canopys will fit halogen lights. anywho theres no reasoning for the lights to warm up or cool down. if one of your switches isnt turning one of the lights on, than you just have a defective one. unfortuanately, this is why i dont buy exo-terra if you dont have to. if its not too late, i would i just return it, get the money back, get one light dome and a flourescent light fixture, suitable for a length that will go with your cage.

best of luck mate

Exo terra do have fluorescente tube fixtures. They are the nicer heavy duty ones. Yours does sound defective. Just return it. They also have the light cycle ones if thats what your talking about that im not familiar. They dim and may cool like like what you were describing but I dont really understand.

I have 12 exo hoods and they all work and look great

it seriously is a waste of money :( all of the above. just go to home depot or lowes and buy aluminum duct tape for reflection.

the trick to saving money in this expensive hobby, is improvising

Its not a waste of money if it works for you. Ex terro makes excellent and durable products.You must have recieved one in a million defective product just erturn it and get another every companys has flaws.

Aluminum foil from you kitchen is a pretty cheap solution to making a better reflector. I hav ehaving issues finding nice cheap dual T8 fixtures at Home Depot and Lowe's. This weekend at the Super show in Pomona I purchased a DIY dual linear T8 24" fixture. It works pretty nice. There is one cord, with a switch to turno ff both lights and there are two switches on the hood that let you turn on or off each lamp individually. They aren't that cheap... but they look nice.

what types of issues are you experiencing with your light fixtures?

exo terra

I have the same unit. one switch controls both side bulbs and the other switch controls the centre bulb. all are rated for a maximum of 26 watts, I'm assuming the centre one is for a small heat bulb since it can be controlled separately from the other two.

Back
Top Bottom