New family member! Help making him feel at home, please!

maggie311

Hello!
I am a new chameleon parent as of yesterday and am looking for advice on how to 'remodel' his current cage. His last owner needed to re-home him. I've been watching YouTube videos non-stop since yesterday and I am sad to say that I am learning that his current home is completely inadequate. His cage does not have nearly enough climbing surfaces or hiding places. He is pretty stressed - he's dark in color. I do not want to stress him any more than he already is. (He was dark in color when I saw him in his old home, so I think it may have to do with his cage set up, not so much the move). Should I rip the band aid off and do it all at once or make small changes spaced out in stages? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! I would say do it all at once asap. Especially making sure lighting and supplements are correct. Neptune the chameleon has a great kit reasonable is sold at Pangea reptiles I believe. Unfortunately as you probably have read chameleons can deteriorate quickly without proper things. Thank you for taking on this little thing! Welcome to the world of chams!! 😊 what species do you have? Any pics?

Welcome to the forum! I would say do it all at once asap. Especially making sure lighting and supplements are correct. Neptune the chameleon has a great kit reasonable is sold at Pangea reptiles I believe. Unfortunately as you probably have read chameleons can deteriorate quickly without proper things. Thank you for taking on this little thing! Welcome to the world of chams!! 😊 what species do you have? Any pics?
Thanks, GrannyK! He's a Veiled. I do believe he's a boy. I'll post a pic for you to confirm :) I am following the advice from Neptune on YouTube and what I've read in the Resources section of the Forum. I've spent this afternoon rinsing and re-potting with organic soil all the plants that I'm going to put in. I put in an Umbrella plant a few minutes ago and he LOVES it. It's given him a little more height and space to hide. His original cage had just a log with an artificial vine-like plant. I removed the skull water fountain because I read it could harbor bacteria. I put a bottle of water at the top of the cage to drip instead. The bottom of the cage has reptile bark, so I'm going to remove it tomorrow. I'll take your advice and do the whole remodel tomorrow!

I don't think he was supplemented well at his other home. They didn't mention anything about it other than feeding him crickets and that they think he's hungry. It's hard to tell, but I think his joints look a little swollen. I've ordered a new UVB light and calcium from Amazon. Cross your fingers.
PXL_20240616_205634192.jpg
PXL_20240616_123326399.jpg
Hello!
I am a new chameleon parent as of yesterday and am looking for advice on how to 'remodel' his current cage. His last owner needed to re-home him. I've been watching YouTube videos non-stop since yesterday and I am sad to say that I am learning that his current home is completely inadequate. His cage does not have nearly enough climbing surfaces or hiding places. He is pretty stressed - he's dark in color. I do not want to stress him any more than he already is. (He was dark in color when I saw him in his old home, so I think it may have to do with his cage set up, not so much the move). Should I rip the band aid off and do it all at once or make small changes spaced out in stages? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20240616_124218676.jpg
    PXL_20240616_124218676.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 16
Sounds like you’re off to a good start. That does look to be a boy, your right. One of the more experienced keepers will probably chime in to keep you moving in the right direction.

Hey there can you post some pics of the lil man without the screen in between. I would like to look at his overall body condition.

Neptune the chameleon videos are the only youtube ones I recommend. She knows chameleon care. Then you can also look at this link for full in depth info. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Then ask your questions here.

Let me know if you would like to do a full husbandry review as well.

Sounds like you’re off to a good start. That does look to be a boy, your right. One of the more experienced keepers will probably chime in to keep you moving in the right direction.

Hey there can you post some pics of the lil man without the screen in between. I would like to look at his overall body condition.

Neptune the chameleon videos are the only youtube ones I recommend. She knows chameleon care. Then you can also look at this link for full in depth info. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Then ask your questions here.

Let me know if you would like to do a full husbandry review as well.
Hey! Thanks for responding. Yes! I love Neptune. I've learned SO much already. (It's only day 2).

I'm attaching a pic of him on day one and one just now. I sent a pic to his previous owner and she commented on how bright his color is from what she's used to.

I feel like his limbs are a little curved. I didn't mess with him to get a better picture. He is getting feisty - I think that's a good sign!
Thanks!!

Attachments

• Karma adoption day.png
    Karma adoption day.png
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • Karma.jpg
    Karma.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 19
Hey! Thanks for responding. Yes! I love Neptune. I've learned SO much already. (It's only day 2).

I'm attaching a pic of him on day one and one just now. I sent a pic to his previous owner and she commented on how bright his color is from what she's used to.

I feel like his limbs are a little curved. I didn't mess with him to get a better picture. He is getting feisty - I think that's a good sign!
Thanks!!
So this little guy has a pretty severe case of Metabolic Bone Disease ( MBD). You will need to set him up with a very good reptile vet. Most of the time with this they will prescribe a liquid calcium without D3 to help strengthen the bones. Issue is he is high risk for total breaks as his bones are very brittle. They will never go back to the correct shape that they should be. All of the visible signs you see of bowing to the limbs will remain but the bones themselves can be strengthened.

What are you using for supplements? What UVB lighting do you have? Look up Sweetpea the chameleon on FB> this is a page about another cham that had extremely bad MBD.

Set up for the cage needs to have more branches. These guys can not grab on and get around as well due to the deformity. So lots of plants but lots of branches as well.

Note the very front of his mouth on the top... Could also be from the MBD but it almost looks swollen which could also mean mouth rot/ infection. Again this is where a really go reptile vet is needed.

I would also get a fecal tested to ensure he is not carrying a parasite load.

This boy was missing major husbandry needs which is why he is in this current condition.

So this little guy has a pretty severe case of Metabolic Bone Disease ( MBD). You will need to set him up with a very good reptile vet. Most of the time with this they will prescribe a liquid calcium without D3 to help strengthen the bones. Issue is he is high risk for total breaks as his bones are very brittle. They will never go back to the correct shape that they should be. All of the visible signs you see of bowing to the limbs will remain but the bones themselves can be strengthened.

What are you using for supplements? What UVB lighting do you have? Look up Sweetpea the chameleon on FB> this is a page about another cham that had extremely bad MBD.

Set up for the cage needs to have more branches. These guys can not grab on and get around as well due to the deformity. So lots of plants but lots of branches as well.

Note the very front of his mouth on the top... Could also be from the MBD but it almost looks swollen which could also mean mouth rot/ infection. Again this is where a really go reptile vet is needed.

I would also get a fecal tested to ensure he is not carrying a parasite load.

This boy was missing major husbandry needs which is why he is in this current condition.
That's what I was afraid of 😢 His cage was pretty bare when I got him. It's one of the Chameleon Starter kits (16 x16 x 30). I have ordered a 24 x 24 x 48 and the lights suggested by Neptune. They can't come quick enough! I added the umbrella tree (he LOVES it) and I added the branch. I've been repotting plants and washing branches this morning. My original post was to find out if it's better to make changes all at once or space out the changes to reduce stress. The great thing about the new cage is I can get it all set up and not disturb him.

His previous owner didn't mention supplementation at all. I have a bad feeling he wasn't getting any and his light was one of those puny dual set ups that come with the kit. I've ordered calcium without D and a multivitamin with D. Sounds like he's going to need something more potent from the vet. I will start looking for one right away. Thank you so much for confirming what I've been learning from the Neptune channel.

That's what I was afraid of 😢 His cage was pretty bare when I got him. It's one of the Chameleon Starter kits (16 x16 x 30). I have ordered a 24 x 24 x 48 and the lights suggested by Neptune. They can't come quick enough! I added the umbrella tree (he LOVES it) and I added the branch. I've been repotting plants and washing branches this morning. My original post was to find out if it's better to make changes all at once or space out the changes to reduce stress. The great thing about the new cage is I can get it all set up and not disturb him.

His previous owner didn't mention supplementation at all. I have a bad feeling he wasn't getting any and his light was one of those puny dual set ups that come with the kit. I've ordered calcium without D and a multivitamin with D. Sounds like he's going to need something more potent from the vet. I will start looking for one right away. Thank you so much for confirming what I've been learning from the Neptune channel.

@elizaann2 has a vet list she can share with you. I have tagged her so she will get this notification.

Per the new cage get it totally set up before moving him over. BUT I would get a fecal tested first to ensure he is not carrying a parasite load if he is you do not want to contaminate the new cage.

As soon as you get the new lighting you can put that on the current cage. for a 5.0 uvb T5HO fixture you want it set on the cage top then measure down 8-9 inches this is where you want horizontal branches directly parallel with the fixture. This will put him in the correct UVI.

Supplements would be calcium without D3 at all feedings and then multivitamin 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. You want to lightly dust the insects. they should not look like powdered donuts.

@elizaann2 has a vet list she can share with you. I have tagged her so she will get this notification.

Per the new cage get it totally set up before moving him over. BUT I would get a fecal tested first to ensure he is not carrying a parasite load if he is you do not want to contaminate the new cage.

As soon as you get the new lighting you can put that on the current cage. for a 5.0 uvb T5HO fixture you want it set on the cage top then measure down 8-9 inches this is where you want horizontal branches directly parallel with the fixture. This will put him in the correct UVI.

Supplements would be calcium without D3 at all feedings and then multivitamin 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. You want to lightly dust the insects. they should not look like powdered donuts.
Good idea about the fecal check first! Thanks so much!!

calcium without D3 at all feedings and then multivitamin 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.
Usually we suggest using either Repashy calcium plus LoD or Reptivite with D3 as a great multivitamin and D3 combo. Because of the mbd, your vet will likely advise and provide a special D3 to use. If so, then you could get ReptiVite without D3 to use as your multivitamin.

Hello!
I would just rip the bandaid off, because you never know what can happen if you don't have the right setup. Welcome to the Chameleon community 🦎 💕

I would just rip the bandaid off, because you never know what can happen if you don't have the right setup. Welcome to the Chameleon community 🦎 💕
Thank you! It's great to be here! I'm so grateful to have found a supportive community. I jumped in and am doing my best to get this guy on the right track. I actually caved and ordered him a new cage. This way I can set up his new digs without disturbing him. 🏡

Thank you! It's great to be here! I'm so grateful to have found a supportive community. I jumped in and am doing my best to get this guy on the right track. I actually caved and ordered him a new cage. This way I can set up his new digs without disturbing him. 🏡
A step in the right direction!! I can't wait to see how his cage turns out!!

Back
Top Bottom