Sick veiled chameleon. Help please

hlabloul

Hi there!

So heres the deal. I went to a pet store to walk around today and to get my pupper a new collar. I walk into the reptile room and their male veiled chameleon is laying on the bottom of his cage barely moving. I tell the worker and i get "Oh the reptile guy will be in at 10. I dont know anything about them." I left and went back bc I couldnt just leave him there.

We went to a vet asap and was told he should weigh in at 15oz (the store told me he was at least 2). He weighed 5oz at the vet and couldnt hold on to his branch.

They told me that honestly he probably wouldnt make it and didnt charge me a vet fee.

I feel so bad for this baby. What can i do to make him comfortable? Or even try to feed him that he'll eat?

Thank you so much! I'm truly a newbie and just want whats best for him.

Attaching the picture from when i first saw him.

Attachments

• 20240822_082013.jpg
    20240822_082013.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 6
Poor guy. His chances are slim to none as there’s no way to determine what is wrong with him. Do you have a uvb light? If not, is it sunny where you are? Uvb is essential, either from a linear uvb light or the sun. Sit him on a plant and sit outside with him in the sun or dappled sun for at least 15 minutes at a time. Put a towel beneath him. Hopefully you have a pothos or philodendron house plant, or even fake reptile plant will do. If you have a plant, wash the leaves with dish soap and rinse very very well. Spray the leaves (not the chameleon) with water so he can lap up a drink. He also needs some heat. At night it’s ok to be cool, but during the day he’ll be needing a temp of about 80-85. What are you keeping him in? Tomorrow if he makes it, you can try giving him some crickets or a small/medium sized hornworm which will help hydrate him. If you can get a few silkworms, those are hydrating and nutritious. Even though I’m telling you to do things that will disturb him and cause him stress, it can’t be helped. Do try to keep disturbances down to the bare minimum - stress will reduce his chances for recovery. I do hope he survives…poor guy is heartbreaking. If he does, then we’ll go over getting a proper everything for him.

Hello and welcome the forum! I feel so bad for this poor thing. Great job on going to the vet first thing. I think this can may have MBD which is metabolic bone disease. @MissSkittles is an awesome member so definitely follow what she said. I really hope he will be ok 🤞💗

Poor guy. His chances are slim to none as there’s no way to determine what is wrong with him. Do you have a uvb light? If not, is it sunny where you are? Uvb is essential, either from a linear uvb light or the sun. Sit him on a plant and sit outside with him in the sun or dappled sun for at least 15 minutes at a time. Put a towel beneath him. Hopefully you have a pothos or philodendron house plant, or even fake reptile plant will do. If you have a plant, wash the leaves with dish soap and rinse very very well. Spray the leaves (not the chameleon) with water so he can lap up a drink. He also needs some heat. At night it’s ok to be cool, but during the day he’ll be needing a temp of about 80-85. What are you keeping him in? Tomorrow if he makes it, you can try giving him some crickets or a small/medium sized hornworm which will help hydrate him. If you can get a few silkworms, those are hydrating and nutritious. Even though I’m telling you to do things that will disturb him and cause him stress, it can’t be helped. Do try to keep disturbances down to the bare minimum - stress will reduce his chances for recovery. I do hope he survives…poor guy is heartbreaking. If he does, then we’ll go over getting a proper everything for him.
I will do all of this. Poor baby turned brown and is just sitting here. Thank you so so much!

Hi there!

So heres the deal. I went to a pet store to walk around today and to get my pupper a new collar. I walk into the reptile room and their male veiled chameleon is laying on the bottom of his cage barely moving. I tell the worker and i get "Oh the reptile guy will be in at 10. I dont know anything about them." I left and went back bc I couldnt just leave him there.

We went to a vet asap and was told he should weigh in at 15oz (the store told me he was at least 2). He weighed 5oz at the vet and couldnt hold on to his branch.

They told me that honestly he probably wouldnt make it and didnt charge me a vet fee.

I feel so bad for this baby. What can i do to make him comfortable? Or even try to feed him that he'll eat?

Poor guy doesn’t look like he has much left to him. Good on you for doing what you can to help him.

I have a large, tall terrarium that i was keeping a tarantula in. (Tarantula has been moved to a temporary apartment, he was not impressed) I'm currently trying to get a more suitable envornment for the chameleon. I have a towel on the bottom. Mister is on. Temp is at 82°F.
Whatever you do, don’t buy the ZooMed chameleon kit. If you buy anything now, let it be the correct uvb - a linear T5HO with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. It’s a bit pricey, but he needs it. Also, I want to guide you to https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ or https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/

On second thought - if you found this guy at a pet store, in this condition- that store should be reported to law enforcement- I'm seeing animal cruelty! As a owner -this might happen due to lack of knowledge. A seller is bound by law and held to a higher standard. This is a crime.
I honestly thought about it but don't know where to start. I told them i wouldnt be back after they gave me a punch card and said 'please come back for your other pet needs' i blocked them on the fb and I'm telling everyone i know.

Thank you so much ❤️ I truly appreciate your help. I need all the helful advice i get get.
I am really hoping that your guy pulls thru. His eyes are open and he looks alert, so that is a big plus. - he hasn’t given up. He won’t have any chance without correct uvb, supplements and other correct husbandry, but it means spending a bit. Neptune has partnered with Pangea Reptile and developed a useful and pretty complete chameleon kit. https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...tarter-chameleon-kit-by-neptune-the-chameleon I wish that was available when I started.
Do call the pet store that had him and ask what supplements they gave and how often. Then come back and let us know what they said, so we can tell you what supplements you should be using.

I am really hoping that your guy pulls thru. His eyes are open and he looks alert, so that is a big plus. - he hasn’t given up. He won’t have any chance without correct uvb, supplements and other correct husbandry, but it means spending a bit. Neptune has partnered with Pangea Reptile and developed a useful and pretty complete chameleon kit. https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...tarter-chameleon-kit-by-neptune-the-chameleon I wish that was available when I started.
Do call the pet store that had him and ask what supplements they gave and how often. Then come back and let us know what they said, so we can tell you what supplements you should be using.
Funny thing! I JUST called the store to ask all of that and this time i was told all we can tell you is that it's an adult male chameleon. They will not call the breeder like they said or tell me anything else. I told them that is animal cruelty.

Hi there!

Hey there welcome to the forum. you are in good hands so I just wanted to add a few things. A healthy adult male would never weight 15 oz... this converted to grams which is what we typically tell their weight in would be 425 grams. A healthy weight for a male veiled sits right about 125-150 grams. So him weighing in at 5oz is actually more on point for what he should be because this converts to 141 grams. So I would be concerned about how much chameleon knowledge the vet has that you took him to.

Is he gripping at all? Or is he just laying there lifeless? I would start reading everything here so you know what your in for and what to provide. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Remember they need lights off completely at night. So 12 hours lights on and 12 hours no light or heat added. Your heat bulb should be a low wattage 60 ish white bulb only. And you have to get a t5HO linear fixture and uvb bulb. Reptisun makes one that comes with the 5.0 uvb bulb. This is going to be important. If he is shutting down due to incorrect UVB.

Hey there welcome to the forum. you are in good hands so I just wanted to add a few things. A healthy adult male would never weight 15 oz... this converted to grams which is what we typically tell their weight in would be 425 grams. A healthy weight for a male veiled sits right about 125-150 grams. So him weighing in at 5oz is actually more on point for what he should be because this converts to 141 grams. So I would be concerned about how much chameleon knowledge the vet has that you took him to.

Is he gripping at all? Or is he just laying there lifeless? I would start reading everything here so you know what your in for and what to provide. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Remember they need lights off completely at night. So 12 hours lights on and 12 hours no light or heat added. Your heat bulb should be a low wattage 60 ish white bulb only. And you have to get a t5HO linear fixture and uvb bulb. Reptisun makes one that comes with the 5.0 uvb bulb. This is going to be important. If he is shutting down due to incorrect UVB.
Oh my gosh thank you! I feel so embarrassed now. I'm definitely taking him to another vet for a second opinion. I'm just raising the proper funds to do so.

Back
Top Bottom