Sick veiled chameleon. Help please

Please do NOT feel embarrassed. Many people go through a similar situations as you in entering the chameleon world when rescuing from a bad environment. Everyone here is very non judgmental in a situation like this. You are doing more than anyone has for this little guy and we are so grateful you came here. You’re in great hands with these keepers helping you.
Someone may be able to share if they have not already the vet list we have to see if there is one in your area experienced with exotics. I will look for it and try to share it.

Just want to chime in and say hello and welcome. Ask all the questions you need. No one here will judge you I promise! We want to help all we can. You can’t post too much or ask too many questions.

On second thought - if you found this guy at a pet store, in this condition- that store should be reported to law enforcement- I'm seeing animal cruelty! As an owner -this might happen due to lack of knowledge. A seller is bound by law and held to a higher standard. This is a crime.
I totally agree that this is a crime. Take lots of pics and would you mind sharing the pet store info with us? Oh don’t use a heat mat like the ones you use for tarantulas. He will need heat from an incandescent bulb. Maybe you can rig something up. If he shows any kind of recovery he should be on a carnivore diet before introducing food. Ask the nice vet they can set you up with the powder (you dilute in water) and syringe with the rubber tip. Since you don’t know anything about chameleons I want to explain to you exactly where the opening to his lungs are because I know you are tempted to give him water. Imagine a hole directly behind the center of your lower front teeth in the gums. Well that is where his lung opening is. So if you give him anything with syringe without the needle of course get it to the back of his mouth so you don’t drown him on accident. They usually drink water by licking it with their tongue which covers the hole. If he lives through the night, you can take baby steps to bring him back. I am so glad you got him out of there. You must be a very decent person. Please please keep us posted! 🙏💕

Thank you so much!! He decided to escape from his box today and hide under the birdcage. I told him to keep that up! Still trying to get him to eat and drink
I may be wrong, but I think this is a good sign. Usually when they are so far gone, they just kind of close their eyes and give up. He still has spunk and fight in him.

Omg I just looked at the bottom of the picture. It says Adult Male Veiled Chameleon $159.99.
This is not something that happened overnight. This is long term neglect. Email or call your local aspca shelter and give them that pic and the store info and the vet name so they can make a case. If not they are going to do it to another sweet innocent life. I am so proud of you that you took action. I wonder how many people looked at him and just walked away? I think you should be named hero of the month or something. Do we have a badge for that?

Btw I live in Los Angeles, I have a great vet and have lights and stuff you can use and can help you get setup to see if this guy is going to pull through. Let me know if you are nearby and I can help!

I totally agree that this is a crime. Take lots of pics and would you mind sharing the pet store info with us? Oh don’t use a heat mat like the ones you use for tarantulas. He will need heat from an incandescent bulb. Maybe you can rig something up. If he shows any kind of recovery he should be on a carnivore diet before introducing food. Ask the nice vet they can set you up with the powder (you dilute in water) and syringe with the rubber tip. Since you don’t know anything about chameleons I want to explain to you exactly where the opening to his lungs are because I know you are tempted to give him water. Imagine a hole directly behind the center of your lower front teeth in the gums. Well that is where his lung opening is. So if you give him anything with syringe without the needle of course get it to the back of his mouth so you don’t drown him on accident. They usually drink water by licking it with their tongue which covers the hole. If he lives through the night, you can take baby steps to bring him back. I am so glad you got him out of there. You must be a very decent person. Please please keep us posted! 🙏💕
Thank you so much! I truly try to be a good person. It's the animal house in west monroe louisiana. When i look at him on the box he's curled up over the uvb lamp, so i hope that's a good sign. I'm going to try and take him to the vet on my day off or after work as soon as i can get him in to the vet another store recommended. (They also donated supplements to Bubba , they will also advertise my bake sale for Bubba's vet bills.) I'm going to look up the carnivore diet for him as soon as I'm off work! Thank you so much!!

Well, good news! Bubba has eaten 3 crickets and had his vitamins today! He sure put up a fight so I'm hopeful!❤️ he was a happy yellow when i got home and changed to po'd brown.

Attachments

• e05f7244-2496-4326-aba1-62b4fcfc3ced.jpg
    e05f7244-2496-4326-aba1-62b4fcfc3ced.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240824_154729.jpg
    20240824_154729.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 6
Btw I live in Los Angeles, I have a great vet and have lights and stuff you can use and can help you get setup to see if this guy is going to pull through. Let me know if you are nearby and I can help!
Friend I wish, I'm in Monroe, Louisiana. I truly appreciate you ❤️

I’m glad to see huge improvements. I thought this guy won’t make it through.
Thank you so much ❤️ I've been worried sick the past few days that i would come home from work and find him laying like the other day when i first saw him. They told me he was skittish at the store and I'm just not seeing it....

Back
Top Bottom