sick veiled, maybe mbd?

samsam2012

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - it is a veiled chameleon, age i would guess 5-7 months I've only had him for a few months, i dont know its sex, petsmart didnt know
Handling - hardly handle him because I'm afraid of breaking him, hold him for maybe a few hours maybe once a week to everyother week
Feeding -i feed him small-medium crickets sometimes meal worms when i dont have any crickets left. i put 25-30 crickets in every other day, since his appetite is up i try to keep food in there most of the time
Supplements - used calcium with d3 from zoo med and multivitamin by exoterra, i alternate between the two
Watering - i have a hubba mister, every hour for 30 sec on a fine mist, sometimes see him drinking,
Fecal Description - fecal isn't firm looking but isnt runny, brown and urine goes from white to a little yellow sometimes. more white then yellow lately
History - i got him from petsmart and wish i hadn't feel like he was to young to be sold and wasn't in best of health

Cage Info:
Cage Type - combo or glass and screen, it is 18x18x20h
Lighting - i have exoterran 75w inferred i used from about 9pm-10am then from 9am-9pm its a ubv and day light i dont know brand or watts also let sunlight through window into cage
Temperature - day temp is about 85-95 night 70-80 have a thermometer/humity gauge mid cage
Humidity - levels 40-80% with hubba mister
Plants - pathos plant along with fake vines
Placement - bedroom, low traffic, near window on a desk
Location - california bay area

Current Problem - he has gotten better but i havent seen anymore improvement for awhile. his legs have rounded joints kind of 2 knees but not as bad as ive seen in pictures. feel like he is to skinny because i can see his ribs on his sides. he steps on himself and has trouble finding where to put his feet to step. sometimes he is laying on his branches with a leg dangling. he has really good grip when we hold him im just worried about his legs and that he may be to skinny. need suggestions on how to make him better i feel bad that he is sick.:confused::(

Without pictures there is no way for us to tell for sure if he has mbd. What you are describing however, sounds like he does. You need to get a plain calcium and use that at every feeding and then alternate the d3 calcium and the mulit vit twice a month each. Using too much d3 can cause health issues for your chameleon so you have to be careful on how much and often you give it. Are you positive the 75 watt has uvb rays and not just uva? Lack of uvb can cause MBD. Did the chameleon develop the possible MBD in your care or did he come to you this way?. Also, UVB does not pass through glass, so never rely on your window to provide sufficient uvb rays to your chameleon. You can use it for warmth, or basking, but not for uvb purposes. Please post a picture of your chameleon and your set up so we can help you more efficiently.

i am not sure about the light, and about if he had the condition when i got him i dont quite remember but i know very soon after having him i started to notice that he wasnt looking to hot. i have had him for only 2 months

Attachments

• IMG_2803.jpg
    IMG_2803.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2808.jpg
    IMG_2808.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2810.jpg
    IMG_2810.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 206
Welcome to the forum!

You want the temperature to drop at night so unless the room is really cold, 50s to 60s they do not need heat at night. More importantly they should not have light, even red night light, they need the darkness.

You will need to invest in a larger enclosure soon as well. Full screen enclosure is better.

There are really great resources to learn how to best set up, feed and care for your new Cham. Gutloading and variety is very important and veiled like fruits and veggies as well.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Petsmart/Petco do not give you the correct information to care for your new pet. Read, ask and absorb the information here and you will become a great Chameleon parent.

Welcome to the forum!

You want the temperature to drop at night so unless the room is really cold, 50s to 60s they do not need heat at night. More importantly they should not have light, even red night light, they need the darkness.

You will need to invest in a larger enclosure soon as well. Full screen enclosure is better.

There are really great resources to learn how to best set up, feed and care for your new Cham. Gutloading and variety is very important and veiled like fruits and veggies as well.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Petsmart/Petco do not give you the correct information to care for your new pet. Read, ask and absorb the information here and you will become a great Chameleon parent.
I'm learning that petsmart and petco don't know what they are really talking about. I plan on making his next enclosure with just netting.

Without seeing the heels of the back feet it is hard to tell if the cham is a male or female. It's legs don't look too bad to me but the behavior you describe is concerning. As Carol pointed out your supplementation is incorrect. You are doing the same thing as I did with my first chameleon and he got MBD. Change to the plain calcium and use it every time you feed crickets or roaches. You may also want to try to offer different feeders. Since you are concerned about MBD phoenix worms have a good C:p ratio. You can get a good price on ebay from rainbowmealworms. Hornworms and silkworms are also high in calcium and would be good for your cham. Mulberry farms is where I get mine.

you NEED to get a linear reptisun 5.0 18 inch long UVB/UVA fixture... the regular ones that say that they have uvb suck very bad, especially for babies. your asking for help so you make the changes! thats the only way he willl survive! ZOOMED CALCIUM IS A JOKE!! don't use that 5 dollar petsmart bull crap, go to a reptile store or something online and get yourself some repashys calcium all in one for weekly use, regular calcium by repashy or stickytongues is good and dust with herptivite once a month and he will be fine eventually! and don't over dust either. make sure his basking spot is 85-90

Without seeing the heels of the back feet it is hard to tell if the cham is a male or female. It's legs don't look too bad to me but the behavior you describe is concerning. As Carol pointed out your supplementation is incorrect. You are doing the same thing as I did with my first chameleon and he got MBD. Change to the plain calcium and use it every time you feed crickets or roaches. You may also want to try to offer different feeders. Since you are concerned about MBD phoenix worms have a good C:p ratio. You can get a good price on ebay from rainbowmealworms. Hornworms and silkworms are also high in calcium and would be good for your cham. Mulberry farms is where I get mine.

I'll have to order some of those, and when I get home I'll try and get a picture if his back feet

Back
Top Bottom