So, how did you get started with chameleons?

Well a long time ago I posted a thread asking for a name and someone suggested Diesel. It kind of stuck but I have just called him Meany Head. :p

Once I get the new plants, etc.. I would love to post his "free range" hehe. We found this really neat wire that is just the right thickness and has a good grip. I need to install a few hangers, though, so I can get the vine to go around more. Once I get it fixed back up... expect a thread! :)

Well a long time ago I posted a thread asking for a name and someone suggested Diesel. It kind of stuck but I have just called him Meany Head. :p

Hahahha...I got a good laugh about the name Meany Head...Hey if the name fits..LOL :p:p

LOL well just as expected the power button is stuck and won't turn on.. well, everything is kinda stuck :eek:. Oh, I edited my post with a picture of one of my veileds. I really need to do a photoshoot with him outside tomorrow. :)

Your veiled looks cool shedding, knowing he is in your hands, he will turn back to normal, if not better(knowing you Syn{as far as i know;)})

Again goodluck using Q-tips to clean in betwen keys from the soda...by the way does it smell funny:p...my friend spilled dr. pepper on his Laptop and it will always smell like old spoiled root beer : P

It smells oddly of licorice? Maybe it isn't licorice, but it's definitely not the same soda smell. I kinda gave up on Q-tips long ago.

Meany Head is in great condition now, he has been with me a while now, he still has issues eating crickets and is stuck on superworms, but his burn is healed and his casque is as good as it can be. I will try to post some pictures of his back and casque tomorrow when he's awake, it is good information for people who keep their chameleons too hot or just too close to the light. Luckily he was on his last few "rounds" of silvadene when I got him.

My $#!+head brother would say "Alzeihmer's popping up earlier!"...ha!...

I haven't reached the Alzheimer's stage yet...Thank God..knock on wood and throw salt over my shoulder. I'm still not "that" old yet...at least not in my mind anyway...wait what was I just talking about...???? :rolleyes:

Speaking of not being able to think of names, I think I'm already to that point...

Alzheimer's is sad. One of my mom's friends thought someone was in her house when there wasn't.. this was one of the ladies who helped my mom get where she is today. She ended up getting really upset. It's really sad and not always easy to figure out how to cheer someone up. Sorry just a random story, hah. :\

Hmmm, taking on rescues can be pretty demoralizing when things do not go well...I took on a female Panther, about two years old -that's what I was told- last year and she lasted about two weeks. And you don't want to know my vet bills, all three of them. And just a couple of weeks ago I took on two other females but I think, in this case, they are going to have a long life...:)

Meany Head is in great condition now, he has been with me a while now, he still has issues eating crickets and is stuck on superworms, but his burn is healed and his casque is as good as it can be. I will try to post some pictures of his back and casque tomorrow when he's awake, it is good information for people who keep their chameleons too hot or just too close to the light. Luckily he was on his last few "rounds" of silvadene when I got him.

I think it's great that you do a lot of rescue and rehabilitation. Then what do you do with them? Adopt them out and if so is it hard to find good homes for them???

I added up vet bills for one of the panthers that was sent to me a little unexpectedly a while ago.. it is not pretty. She is moving in the right direction but it's still not enough. Had I known I'd be getting this girl I would have made preparations but... eh, stuff happens. I try not to think about it too much, you know?

Sorry to hear about your female, I bet you did the best you could.

With life is death, and vice versa. Good luck with your new females!

I think it's great that you do a lot of rescue and rehabilitation. Then what do you do with them? Adopt them out and if so is it hard to find good homes for them???

Oh my goodness, it is really odd. I have a paper that people sign so they will not turn around and resell the animals.. people sign it but then I usually don't hear back from them. I can only assume they are doing well... that's another reason I try not to get attached, after they go off you don't really ever see them again. As far as finding homes, it is getting in contact with people from communities, be it craigslist or otherwise. I always provide a link to the KittyBlog if it's a veiled. I do not rehab montanes because, well, living in Arizona and all, but I try to direct them to Chameo.. but I don't know if they ever talk to Chameo or not. For the most part I do veileds, but I do "chamsit" sometimes. I had a Verrucosus for a while, it was neat! They are always learning experiences. I never think to get pictures simply because of the whole attachment thing, if you get what I'm saying... but goodness! I wish I got a picture of that Verru! Wow!

I haven't reached the Alzheimer's stage yet...Thank God..knock on wood and throw salt over my shoulder. I'm still not "that" old yet...at least not in my mind anyway...wait what was I just talking about...???? :rolleyes:

Alzheimer's doesn't run in my family...Thank God for that also. I can't imagine loosing all my memories and every event that I've ever witnessed or accomplished just being wiped out of my mind as if it never happened. I really feel for the people that that happens to. It is sooo sad!

Alzheimer's doesn't run in my family...Thank God for that also. I can't imagine loosing all my memories and every event that I've ever witnessed or accomplished just being wiped out of my mind as if it never happened. I really feel for the people that that happens to. It is sooo sad!

But since they forget, they wont feel sad not knowing...since they never realize what happened in the past....its only when you try to remember but cant and knowing that you forgotten...Its sad when we think about ,but for them they donnt realize- "Ignorance is Bliss"....Anonymous....sometimes its better not knowing things....but yeah it is awful to go through something like that:(

Hey Syn, is adopting your hobbie?...
I've wondered that sometimes. :p I would much rather adopt a chameleon that isn't doing to well to try to help. Sometimes it adds up, though. :( I am a "bleeding heart", a friend of mine said... heh

ETA: Fortunately most of the people were willing to just give me the chameleons, I was not paying for anything other than time and feeders. I'll email around and see if people won't send me pictures, but I doubt they will. :eek: But, you can always hope. :)

I've wondered that sometimes. :p I would much rather adopt a chameleon that isn't doing to well to try to help. Sometimes it adds up, though. :( I am a "bleeding heart", a friend of mine said... heh

So, how can you trust someone you are giving away a pet to, that -if I may say right- you spend time, care and affection they will do the same? People brake contracts left and right...

I have turned people down before, I do quiz them on the care before their purchase. It's the best you can do, really.
I figure as long as I can help the chams and they don't come up on craigslist, kijiji, whatever, that's good, they aren't going back up for sale.

I just want to try and help however I can. Once they leave, you just have to hope they are in good hands. That's the way it is with selling reptiles, too, but I don't see anyone questioning that.

Anyways, hopefully I will be going to a herping trip in the morning. Going to try going to bed (notice, try) haha. Have a good night! :)

So, how can you trust someone you are giving away a pet to, that -if I may say right- you spend time, care and affection they will do the same? People brake contracts left and right...

so very true, but all you can do is check their knowledge and hope for the best....:eek:

I have turned people down before, I do quiz them on the care before their purchase. It's the best you can do, really.
I figure as long as I can help the chams and they don't come up on craigslist, kijiji, whatever, that's good, they aren't going back up for sale.

I just want to try and help however I can. Once they leave, you just have to hope they are in good hands. That's the way it is with selling reptiles, too, but I don't see anyone questioning that.

Anyways, hopefully I will be going to a herping trip in the morning. Going to try going to bed (notice, try) haha. Have a good night! :)

Have fun herpin -??- !

Night Syn!:)

Night Eltortu:cool:

Night JaxyGirl:D

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz im out..........

Reactions: Syn
Oh my goodness, it is really odd. I have a paper that people sign so they will not turn around and resell the animals.. people sign it but then I usually don't hear back from them. I can only assume they are doing well... that's another reason I try not to get attached, after they go off you don't really ever see them again. As far as finding homes, it is getting in contact with people from communities, be it craigslist or otherwise. I always provide a link to the KittyBlog if it's a veiled. I do not rehab montanes because, well, living in Arizona and all, but I try to direct them to Chameo.. but I don't know if they ever talk to Chameo or not. For the most part I do veileds, but I do "chamsit" sometimes. I had a Verrucosus for a while, it was neat! They are always learning experiences. I never think to get pictures simply because of the whole attachment thing, if you get what I'm saying... but goodness! I wish I got a picture of that Verru! Wow!

Rehabilitation is tough work and many times its 24/7! My father is a veterinarian. People used to bring him all the injured and baby animals that they found. Dad would bring them home and I'd take care of them. I've raised everything from baby rabbits, baby squirrels, baby and injured song birds, baby hawks, Owls, Parrots and everything in between including a variety of reptiles and amphibians. But I must say I enjoyed every minute!

Back
Top Bottom