Can anyone please tell me whats wrong with our new addition to the family

paulywally

The large up on her back concerns me.

Attachments

• 20240706_194905.jpg
    20240706_194905.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 9
What’s her age?
What basking temperature have you been providing?
Does she have a proper egg laying bin in her cage?
How many insects do you feed her in a week? What kinds of insects? Size? Gutloaded? Dusted with the right calcium and vitamins on the normal schedule we recommend?

Last edited:
Could you send more pics please Im seeing that she could have eggs, do you have a lay bin?
Yes I have a lay bin.
Could I see more pics of her?
Her lay bin is 2 parts sand 1 part soil. Her basking temp is about 82ish.
She eats 35 to 40 bugs in 5 days, gutloaded. Crickets super warms and silk warms. She's 8-10 months.

Attachments

• 20240706_221204.jpg
    20240706_221204.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240706_221148.jpg
    20240706_221148.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 9
What’s her age?
What basking temperature have you been providing?
Does she have a proper egg laying bin in her cage?
How many insects do you feed her in a week? What kinds of insects? Size? Gutloaded? Dusted with the right calcium and vitamins on the normal schedule we recommend?
She eats 35 to 40 bugs in 5 days, gutloaded. Crickets super warms and silk warms. She's 8-10 months.

Yes I have a lay bin.

Yes I have a lay bin.

Yes I have a lay bin.

Attachments

• 20240706_221124.jpg
    20240706_221124.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 10
Hi. Your pretty girl s loaded with eggs. The number of eggs she’ll produce is directly related to how much you feed her, and sorry to say but you’ve been overfeeding. There’s not much to be done at this point other than to watch her carefully and make sure she is given optimal conditions for when she’s ready to lay her eggs and hopefully she can get them all out without issue. Please give this a read and it will explain how best to reduce the number and frequency of eggs she produces and can even stop laying altogether. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/

Does she look like she has metabolic bone disease. When I search her back arch thing it says that.
I see no apparent signs of MBD…but remember, I’m not a vet and only speak from my many years of experience with chameleons. I’m worried that she may be having egg production issues from being over fed, etc.

You need to watch for signs that she is eggbound or suffering from follicular stasis and make sure that, if that’s what’s going on, you don’t wait so long that she’s too weak to be spayed before you take her to a good exotics vet.

Make sure that she isn’t disturbed any more than necessary (only to feed and water her) and hope that she lays the eggs. Cover the lower half of the cage, etc.

Keep us posted about what’s going on please.

She also looks like she is puffing up... in other words pissed off that you are bothering her.

But can we touch on your uvb lighting? I believe I am seeing a T8 fixture as your bulb color has a blue hue instead of a white hue that a T5HO bulb will produce.

Listen to @kinyonga and @MissSkittles for the egg situation. Holding eggs when they need to lay them is dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom